Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Interesting point and deserving of its own thread. Back in the 1960s, dockers in East London had a fair few Enoch Powell and NF supporters. Rather than having them booted out of the union (and creating a scab force), anti fascist dockers argued with them for workers unity (whether black or white). It had some success.

You go to work and people have all sorts of fucked up ideas. You have to try and get people to break with those reactionary views if we ever want to get anywhere.
Times have changed, though, and for the better in this instance. Unions and all kinds of other associations now have anti-discrimination rules. In a sense, that argument has been won. I think it's hard to argue against the anti-discrimination rules that now exist.

And yet it doesn't. How do you think it was working on the docks in East London in the 60s if you were black?

Did you actually read the post you quoted by Serge Forward?

Rather than having them booted out of the union (and creating a scab force), anti fascist dockers argued with them for workers unity (whether black or white). It had some success.

That's a better position to take imo. It's a living breathing thing, not a piece of paper with a load of bullet points on it.

The trumpists seem very very quiet for the past few days, until weds every face book linked article related to trump had a batch of clucking loons in the comments section, but very few now.
Anyone know how the folks are feeling about things out there in maga land?
And any squeals from his sundry hifh profile cheerleaders? Or are they all busy with other stuff at the moment?

Did you actually read the post you quoted by Serge Forward?

Rather than having them booted out of the union (and creating a scab force), anti fascist dockers argued with them for workers unity (whether black or white). It had some success.

That's a better position to take imo. It's a living breathing thing, not a piece of paper with a load of bullet points on it.
Yes I did. I repeat the question. What do you think it was like working in the East London docks in the 1960s if you were black?

We have made progress since then, and part of that progress came after racism was taken seriously enough for anti-discrimination laws to come in from the 1960s onwards. Part of that progress is shown today in the fact that unions and other bodies have anti-discrimination written into their codes, and that those codes are accepted, and indeed welcomed, by the members.

I'd add a sense of being needed/useful.
If I were to somehow become enfolded in a cult these days, I would respond by embodying the goose from untitled goose game 24/7 until they either made me their leader or disbanded in despair :)
I could happily <honk> all the livelong day.
Anyone know of any cults need destroying that I can sign up to, please?

:)

Really? Life expectancy of a 78 year old in America is way more than 4 years and with the healthcare benefits you get as PotUS, it's highly likely he'll survive until the end of his term and probably his second too, if he has one.
Life expectancy of a man in the USA is 78.57 years.

Yes littlebabyjesus, I'm sure it was shit in the 60s, working in the docks, especially if you were black... and unions are right to have anti racist and anti discrimination codes built in. That doesn't mean people are not racist or discriminatory, it means they mind their Ps&Qs when it comes to racism and other forms of discrimination. Anti discrimination laws don't stop people being racist, they just hide it better.

Once you actually get to 78 though, your life expectancy rises to well into your 80s, especially if you're well off and have access to extremely good healthcare.
I was looking at life expectancy in the US and it is way lower than you would think compared to other rich countries.

Back
Top Bottom