Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year - best Live album Ever

I've been trying to think of some amazing live albums from this millennium. I'm struggling.

Why is that? Bands still put them out. Bands still put on great performances. What are the killer live albums from the last 22 years?
Arguably not of the greatest live albums of all time, but for documentation of a certain kind of self-destructive teenage nihilism, Caught in the Act... by Johnny Hobo has a certain something to it:

Surprised that Aretha's Amazing Grace hasn't been mentioned.

Which reminds me, I must get round to watching the film of it.

View attachment 314427

2009. Not exactly modern music mind you.
That's a good example of a live album brining something new to a career. He was basically a has-been when his manager nicked all his money, so he hit the road to get some cash. It could've come across as a desperate cash in, but what you get is an older Cohen, his voice deeper and gravellier, carrying the weight of his years, running through his greatest hits, sounding like he'd never sounded before. And I say that as someone who doesn't even like his music (though how could anyone fail to love his voice here?).

That's a good example of a live album brining something new to a career. He was basically a has-been when his manager nicked all his money, so he hit the road to get some cash. It could've come across as a desperate cash in, but what you get is an older Cohen, his voice deeper and gravellier, carrying the weight of his years, running through his greatest hits, sounding like he'd never sounded before. And I say that as someone who doesn't even like his music (though how could anyone fail to love his voice here?).

Excellent band he has there as well.

Also don't like live albums as a rule. They're usually just record company cash-ins, but this is fuckin brilliant for being both a) superlative US hardcore punk and b) the only decent testament to Hüsker Dü when they still performed such stuff:

View attachment 314427

2009. Not exactly modern music mind you.

This is Len live in the late 70s, though it wasn't released until circa 2000, IIRC:

And it is very good. . . especially the version of Memories.

Planxty live at Vicar street, Dublin, 2004:

(if you don't know them, these guys were the big Irish trad supergroup of the 70s - the 2004 thing was their first live outing in years, as far as I know)

Are we allowed official live Dvds?

Nine Inch Nails released three live DVDs that weren't given CD or Vinyl releases (Beside You In Time, Another Version of the Truth and And All That Could Have Been).

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever heard a bad live album or recording of John Martyn, huge range of styles and even his later performances were good. Anyway I'll always remember seeing him late 70s and thinking how the fuck could someone get all this out of an acoustic guitar. This is from The Man Upstairs 1978

I was supposed to see them on that tour. Had a ticket and everything. Then I woke up on the day with a stinking cold and wasn't going anywhere. My friends came back raving about how great and amazing it was. Bastards. In my head I've decided it was probably shit and never listened to the album.
If it’s magnificent albums of gigs you were actually at, this is the clear winner for me

If it’s magnificent albums of gigs you were actually at, this is the clear winner for me
Is that one much good? Never actually got around to listening to it. Was thinking about it recently cos I was wondering if it'd qualify for this thread:

Back
Top Bottom