Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year - best Live album Ever

I basically say the same few albums every time there's a best live album thread, so I'll go away and give it some further investigation before posting any more.

Mi00OTcxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy (with Huey Lewis on harmonica)

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg

Ozzy Osborne - Speak of the Devil

Black Sabbath - Live Evil

I'm really not a fan of great performances. Iconography and cults of personality. Fuck that shit. So I hate great live albums. There's some rubbishy ones that I like though. Discovered this last year and it's just what a live album should be. Capturing a table banging, cider swilling party atmosphere. Our Friends The Yetties. Even the album cover shows you're in for a great time.

1646891804464.png

iirc all the music is live, its just had takes chopped together - dont remember there being any studio recordings
might be wrong

Live-Evil is an album of both live and studio recordings by American jazz musician Miles Davis. Parts of the album featured music from Davis' concert at the Cellar Door in 1970, which producer Teo Macero subsequently edited and pieced together in the studio. They were performed as lengthy, dense jams in the jazz-rock style, while the studio recordings were renditions of Hermeto Pascoal compositions. The album was originally released on November 17, 1971.

I'm really not a fan of great performances. Iconography and cults of personality. Fuck that shit. So I hate great live albums.
Not quite sure where you're coming from with that argument. Great performances and great live albums aren't quite the same thing. There's loads of performances that people who were there rave about, but don't come across on a live album - are there any absolutely essential Bowie live albums?

Live albums can work for all sorts of reasons.

Like The Cramps' Smell of Female - as you listen to it you can feel the sweat drip from the ceiling, Lux Interior's asides to the audience feel like they're directed to the person bopping next to you, it puts you in the Peppermint Lounge for a riotous gig.

Or Jerry Lee Lewis & The Nashville Teens Live at the Hamburg Star Club - Lewis powers through those songs with such furious abandon that it makes the iconic original studio recordings sound like nursery rhymes.

Or Fania All Stars Recorded Live at the Red Garter - a performance by a crowd of many of the best US Latin musicians, most of whom are a decade or two into their careers, bringing together the many styles of Latin music - pachanga, cha cha, guajira, son, montuno, guaguanco, danzon, boogaloo - and right there on the record creating a new scene, a new sound - salsa. You're listening to musical history.

Sure, they are all great performances, but a great live album needs more than just that. And like you say, a great live album doesn't even need a great performance at all.

There are a few things that were originally bootlegs that I really like. This Stones one got them on a great night:

the-rolling-stones-brussels-affair--live-1973.jpg

and this Joy Division one got a semi-official release once as part of a box set I think. I had a C90 of it that I'd paid a fiver for that I played to death. Much rawer sounding than Unknown Pleasures:

R-11685459-1520630194-3728.jpg

There are a few things that were originally bootlegs that I really like. This Stones one got them on a great night:

View attachment 313704

and this Joy Division one got a semi-official release once as part of a box set I think. I had a C90 of it that I'd paid a fiver for that I played to death. Much rawer sounding than Unknown Pleasures:

View attachment 313705
Le Bains Douches is my fave JD live recording. Savage.

Le Bains Douches is my fave JD live recording. Savage.

Yeah they sound full-on at that one don't they? I can remember reading that Barney and Hook both thought Unknown Pleasures sounded a bit weedy when they first heard it and you can see why when you hear the live stuff.

Actually I haven't really listen to loads of live albums, but this is probably one of my most played.

LmpwZWc.jpeg
That’s probably in my top 5 live Hawkwind albums, largely cos most of its from the first tour I saw them on. Do you not listen to Space Ritual??!!

That’s probably in my top 5 live Hawkwind albums, largely cos most of its from the first tour I saw them on. Do you not listen to Space Ritual??!!
No I think it's because the stone henge album was probably the one that was on most while tripping in my late teens....and Moonglum from live chronicles.

Think we've had most of the ones I'd suggest already, but this one's good:

R-16321422-1607047016-3800.jpeg.jpg

Dunno where Through This is, but the album Hole recorded there is pretty good. (gets coat, etc.)

Also, ludicrous hipster opinion incoming, but iirc Greil Marcus said the live Sonic Youth UK 85 bootleg, The Walls Have Ears, is the best thing they ever did and I can sort of see his point - apart from anything else, most other Sonic Youth albums only have Death Valley '69 on a maximum of once, and many of them not even that, but this has it twice. And a spoken-word intro from Kickboy Face/Claude Bessy slagging off alternative culture. "There ees no fucking culture there", etc.

my favourite album from when we did 1961
live at his own club, the Alhambra

my discogs has gone Russian and I cant change it back :mad:

No I think it's because the stone henge album was probably the one that was on most while tripping in my late teens....and Moonglum from live chronicles.
Having just listened to Space Ritual I'm feeling quite embarrassed at ingnoring it's brilliance for so long.

I'll put it out now that my number 1 will be Slayers "Live Undead".

It's only 23 minutes long but totally distills their sound. It's ferocious, and the musicianship is amazing.

Plus when Tom Ayara says "They say the pen is mightier than the sword. But I say...fuck the pen! Because you can Die. By. The. Swooooooorrrdddd" and the crowd join in.

It's mental.

Back
Top Bottom