Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2004

Bark Psychosis: Codename Dustsucker

Ten years after Hex and with only Graham Sutton from the original band . It's more of the same but more refined. A slow burning sonic canvass of scattered drumming, glistening guitars and some sparse piano and occasional trumpet with alternating breathless vocals from Sutton or women singers. Once more it's the arrangements and the space between the notes that are apparent and if you enjoyed late period Talk Talk then you'd enjoy this

Seelenluft - The Way We Go

Nice album of Swiss electro-pop. Jim Reid from Jesus and Mary Chain randomly pops up singing on one track, but not this one which is my favourite:

I watched Peter Fonda's directorial debut The Hired Hand the other day and fell in love with soundtrack of ambient Americana, despite the film coming out in 1971 the score by Bruce Langhorne wasn't released until 2004*.
Recommend the film too.

*Discogs says 2007 but there's a Guardian review online dated 2004

Last edited:
!!! - Louden Up Now

Excellent punk-funk act at their peak. I saw them play sometime around then and they were amazing, 8 people crowded on stage grooving along, two dummers pounding away, basslines punching my chest, one of the singers took a pill at the start of the show and was butt naked, dripping with sweat, dancing like Bez by the end of it. Includes Me and Guiliani Down by the School Yard - A True Story, one of the best songs of the decade.

Listening to this now, it's got some bops. Kind of weirder than I expected it to be. I like the Rapture and the Knife fine, but this is definitely not the Rapture.

That !!! album does also have the lyric "What did George Bush say when he met Tony Blair?", just in case anyone has any doubts about it being well and truly an album from 2004.

Hood - Outside Closer. Never heard this before and to be honest can only vaguely remember coming across Hood very early in their career and they didn't make any impression. This though is unexpectedly superb.

"what initially sounds simple soon reveals itself to be remarkably complex; each and every song here possesses layers far beyond the human ear’s reach. To call it stunning would be wrong; this is numbing, lulling you into a state of absolute ignorance – everything that’s not on the record dissolves into a blank canvas, upon which the listener can paint their own environments. "

"A modish conflation of acoustic guitars, violins, subtle electronics and artfully detached vocals, located somewhere near Amnesiac-era Radiohead."

Hood fanboy here - and yes, this album is superb, though Cold House is probably the ultimate Hood.

They split up donkey's years ago but Chris and Richard, the brothers who formed Hood have been a million other projects since - many of them have been similarly excellent. I'd say my favorites have been:

High Passes which Chris released as Bracken:

Belmont Slope which Richard released as The Declining Winter

If you like Hood then check these out...

Back
Top Bottom