Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1994

20) Weezer - Weezer

1728057487476.png

I suppose this is the beginning of something new - that power/pop/punk thing. Not exactly catchy and not exactly rocking but with a sound that fills a space.

17) Kristin Hersh - Hips and Markers

1728058632571.png

A singer songwriter that I'm unfamiliar with. Is it any good? What's it like? I really don't know and I wouldn't like to say. I find it easier to assess and absorb avant garde contemporary classical music than I do singer songwriter albums. An album like this could become a part of your life and you will have a special relationship with it. Who am I to comment on that?

Anyway listen to it and love it and dance in a field at midnight singing the songs that you know off by heart.

Or maybe don't.

I don't know.

You do you.

15) The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

1728059554664.png

One of the few techno albums that I'd heard at the time (or a little later). I remember this being good and its better than I remember it. Softly engaging ambient twinkliness.

Not catchy? Really? OK Buddy Holly was overplayed, but that record doesn't have any filler.

When I said it fills a space I meant a sonic space not disk space. It never sounds thin or sparse. And that makes for a good continuous vibe.

I'm just not feeling hooked by any of the hooks unfortunately. I've just listened to Buddy Holly and I don't even remember it.

11) Manic Street Preachers - Holy Bible

1728061690744.png

Definitely an album that could only have been put together in a studio. Everything is geared towards a quite complex songwriting purpose. (It makes me long for purposelessness...) But see the above comments about singer/songwriters because meaning is personal.

7) Beck - Mellow Gold

1728064432628.png

Swampy blues and a certain postmodern stance. Is it genius? No, but you aren't necessarily looking for genius. It's a satisfyingly peculiar place to drift in.

Back
Top Bottom