Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1984

Weird British post punk that I've only just realised was released in 1984. The first of these strongly recommended.

Het - Let's Het

Unrest Work & Play - Informs

And also Haco's first amazing statement with After Dinner. Sort of Raincoats meets the Art Bears but very Japanese.

Glass Tube

OK get your lists ready

hitmouse
Fez909
Idris2002
The39thStep
belboid
krtek a houby
Indeliblelink
AverageJoe
Serge Forward
starfish
Dr. Furface
zahir
maomao
nogojones
ATOMIC SUPLEX
Steel Icarus
Derek S-H
Throbbing Angel
mwgdrwg
Maggot
Elpenor
skyscraper101
chilango
Winot
Silas Loom
Jennaonthebeach

Best at top
Format:
Artist - Album
Eg:
Ethel's Fancy Pants - Doing the Fandango
Space Cowshed - Backwards to Never
Mixing My Toasties - Rabbit Death
Ken and Sophie - Loving it Up, Down and Sideways
Shuffle Soufflé - Another Helping Of...

You get the idea. It should look like that.

No compilations, no eps, no singles.

I've worked out 25 names, just need to decide on the order now. It is definitely making me think that ranking music is a very arbitrary thing, I dunno how you decide that Louise is "better" or "worse" than Hinkley Had A Vision, or or how you compare Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken? to I'll Meet You in Poland Baby.

It's perhaps worth stating, lest anyone wants to vote for it, that the Cure's "The Top" from 1984 is shite. I say that as someone who really likes the Cure.
I have fond memories of seeing Robert Smith, clearly off his bonce, with the whole band sitting down doing Caterpillar on TOTP when I was 9, and it's made my top 5 I'm afraid.

Couple of albums I like because of the graffiti on the covers rather than the music*. If you hadn't seen Style Wars and Wildstyle or discovered a copy of Subway Art it was hard to find good US graffiti art to look at in 1984/85. I used to go into Our Price in Uxbridge every Saturday afternoon to look at these covers, took a couple of years before I could afford to buy albums.
s-l400.jpg289f7a91b3cad80700ae6c8d61ddbca8.400x400x1.jpg
*although Jellybean's electro version of Dog Was A Doughnut is good and Hey, You The Rock Steady Crew is always brings back memories of breakdancing culture that was huge in '84.

Last edited:
This album is from 1982 but wanted to share it and this thread will do as its roughly the same time and Mad Professor has had a couple of mentions recently

So this is a very rare UK deeeep roots record, featuring a band of 7 all-female performers, playing all instruments and vocals... engineered by Mad Proff. The only release they ever had as a band, though they reincarnated with a slightly different line up as Akabu some time later https://www.discogs.com/artist/40541

interesting record with a pretty unique vibe to it

This album is from 1982 but wanted to share it and this thread will do as its roughly the same time and Mad Professor has had a couple of mentions recently

So this is a very rare UK deeeep roots record, featuring a band of 7 all-female performers, playing all instruments and vocals... engineered by Mad Proff. The only release they ever had as a band, though they reincarnated with a slightly different line up as Akabu some time later https://www.discogs.com/artist/40541

interesting record with a pretty unique vibe to it

This is properly excellent :thumbs:😍

Never heard of it before, but I know Akabu from their stuff with Dub Syndicate. Best soundtrack to tidying the kitchen ever.

Ooh. It's on Bandcamp. Shall I buy it? Yeah, I'm gonna buy it. You cost me money with your quality recommendations, damn you :D

This is properly excellent :thumbs:😍

Never heard of it before, but I know Akabu from their stuff with Dub Syndicate. Best soundtrack to tidying the kitchen ever.

Ooh. It's on Bandcamp. Shall I buy it? Yeah, I'm gonna buy it. You cost me money with your quality recommendations, damn you :D
i thought you might like it - almost tagged you! Kind of in that Ras Michael vein....
i came across it after hearing this track River Jordan on the radio - turns out its an unreleased track from 86 that got a release within the last year - took me a while to track it down

the singer credited here as Rudo is the lead singer of Mwanamke Mwafrika ( i discovered doing some discogs digging)

That River Jordan track is really great, stuck in my head after one listen

A previously unreleased song from Rudo titled "River Jordan", originally recorded in 1986 at Channel One Studio is here. The song was rediscovered on the personal master tapes of Producer Simbarashe Tongogaro and features a thunderous and earth shaking dub. Listeners should already be familiar with Rudo with her massive anthem titled "Freedom" which we reissued in 2018.

The track promises to be a treat for all lovers of reggae music, especially those who check for the unreleased business. With Rudo's powerful vocals and Tongogaro's expert production the two bring out the best in the song and we're glad to have found it in Tongogaro's personal collection. We know that music lovers will enjoy this piece of history and appreciate the quality of the production.

If I start with the lonely number one's I'll be starting at no. 43 which shows that there is a large number of albums getting reasonable votes. I won't be doing that. Let's start at 20.

Back
Top Bottom