Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1984

Jah Shaka Meets Mad Professor At Ariwa Studios is probably my favourite dub album, edging out even mid 70s Perry & Tubby with its 80s electronic weirdness.

Also on Ariwa is The Wild Bunch album, with peak Mad Professor doing his thing and Sandra Cross on vocals.

stumbled on a pic seemingly from the 1984 session when Ariwa studio was in Peckham
jah shaka mad professor 1984.png

also this

fiery_color_043-page-001.jpg

Attachments

• mad professor 1984.jpg
    mad professor 1984.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 4
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

The album of the classic concert film. For the original 1984 release you get 9 tracks taken from the concert, edited and overdubbed, in no particular order. That led to grumbling that it isn't really the soundtrack of the film, which is true. Bootlegs of the audio taken from the film circulated for years, a slightly more comprehensive 16 track version was released in 1999 and last year the full 18 tracks from the concert got an official release.

What the 1984 album does give you are excellent versions of some of their best songs, and as such is a great album in it's own right.

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees

The first track is pretty much what you would expect from the ex Japan singer but the following track The Ink in the Well is a superb mellow jazz arrangement with Danny Thompson on base and Nostagia is almost Eno-esque with brass accompaniment. Red Guitar the most famous track is foot tapping melancholy with its piano and drums. The last three tracks ( which I think were all on the B side when it was an LP) is where Sylvian really branches out to experiment with Holger Czukay and Jon Hassell and the title track itself that closes is such a thing of rare haunting beauty that it should be bottled.

.I think Dio - Last In Line will be high up my list.

We. Are. Coming. HOOOOOOMMMEEEEEE still sends a shiver down my spine 40 years later.

A lot of voice for someone 5'4"

Last edited:
I was 10 in 1984 so aside from a couple of classics (Ride The lightning, Purple Rain) there's a few that I bought 4 or 5 years later in Woolworth's bargain bin. Talk Talk - It's My Life is worth a mention as is the first Prefab Sprout album. The Special A.K.A. In The Studio I probably bought around about time of release though it's not a patch on The Specials' first two albums.

A good year for film soundtracks: Paris, Texas was a favourite few years later (shit film though) and Repo Man being highlights. Can Knotted confirm if Repo Man qualifies as is mostly a compilation of earlier recordings?

Didn't realise The Butthole Surfers first full length album, Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac was '84. It's a particular fave of mine, pure madness from start to finish:

Last edited:
If, like me, you were 14 in 1984 then this list might be of interest.

the first great The Ex album, Blueprints for a Blackout. The Replacements' Let it Be as well.

I would sing the praises of the magnificent Scratch Acid EP. Except I can't sing, and its an EP.

I was 10 in 1984 so aside from a couple of classics (Ride The lightning, Purple Rain) there's a few that I bought 4 or 5 years later in Woolworth's bargain bin. Talk Talk - It's My Life is worth a mention as is the first Prefab Sprout album. The Special A.K.A. In The Studio I probably bought around about time of release though it's not a patch on The Specials' first two albums.

A good year for film soundtracks: Paris, Texas was a favourite few years later (shit film though) and Repo Man being highlights. Can Knotted confirm if Repo Man qualifies as is mostly a compilation of earlier recordings?

Didn't realise The Butthole Surfers first full length album, Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac was '84. It's a particular fave of mine, pure madness from start to finish:

Needle drop soundtracks are compilations. I think we'll have a minimum 50% original material rule. Still awesome soundtrack, and a splendid film indeed.

Sweet album from Franco recorded in Brussels... lovely on a summer night
4 tracks buts its 40 mins long, each track a gentle crescendo

Franco et le T.P.O.K. Jazz á l'Ancienne Belgique
seems to be a really rated album in the large Franco discography this one, nice write up about it here

Last edited:
the first great The Ex album, Blueprints for a Blackout. The Replacements' Let it Be as well.

I would sing the praises of the magnificent Scratch Acid EP. Except I can't sing, and its an EP.
Huh, between Let it Be and Zen Arcade (and others) I'll have a lot of catching up on "legendary albums by hardcore bands breaking out of the genre's constraints that I've never got around to listening to" to do. Kind of interesting that both were the same year as Subhumans were doing From The Cradle... over here as well. Have we had anyone mention Double Nickels yet?

Theres loads of potentially interesting albums from south africa but not on any stremaing platform bar the odd song... like this one an example of Sotho music, which would become famous globally via Paul Simons Graceland - has that distinctive piano accordian sound at the centre

interesting write up

"Tau Ea Lesotho are one of the prime components of Sotho traditional music, an especially gritty and compulsive Southern African sound which has only recently begun to fulfil its enormous and previously untapped recording potential.

Apart from being an extremely rare UK release of traditional Sotho music, “Nyatsi Tloha Pela’ka” also provides a definitive example of rural sound’s most evocative attributes. The record’s distinctive feature is an urgent driving piano-accordion sound which is created by the group’s leader and song writer, Peea Madise. Always the dominant instrument in any style of Sotho music, the piano-accordion completely dictates the song-tempo and register in which Madise sings. It is a singular sound which rivals the impact of both the Zulu guitar and the saxophone as leading instrument in indigenous Southern music.

On “Nyatsi Tloha Pela’ka” the accordion is given a rock-solid backing comprising the group’s gruff vocal chants, frenetic whistling and rumbling drum and bass guitar (played here by Bakhithi Khumalo, one of South Africa’s foremost bassists). The percussive effects include those made by Tau Ea Lesotho’s Sotho drum called a “sekupu”. This drum is made from an old tyre, a piece of wire and punctured Coke bottle tops.

Tau Ea Lesotho play an undiluted rural music which has particularly strong roots in the impoverished Lesotho. Landlocked and surrounded by South Africa, Lesotho’s people have little option but to seek work within the republic. Most of the men end up working as poorly paid migrant labours on the South African gold mines.

The three members of Tau Ea Lesotho are part of this migrant work force. Labouring deep down in the Carletonville gold reef which stretches west of Johannesburg. Th working conditions are dangerous and the living quarters exceptionally spartan. Consequently, Tau Lea Lesotho’s songs are soaked in the yearning refences to their rural homes in the Sotho mountains across the South African border. Here, life is also hard but there are women and children, fresh air, wide-open spaces, and a semblance of freedom.

“Nyatsi Tloha Pela’ka” is Tau Ea Lsotho’s musical dream of returning home, a dream echoes by the thousands of other Sotho miners living on the reef. Tau Ea Lesotho are consequently one of the most popular performers of this style of traditional music ranking alongside Tau Ea Linare and Tau Ea Matsekha.

Recorded live in Johannesburg by producer Koloi Lebona, a major force in South African music. “Nyatsi Tloha Pela’ka” captures the vibrant immediacy and raw spontaneity of Sotho traditional music. A music which takes us high into the country of mountains and the rivers deep into the pulsing hears of Tau Ea Lesotho as they chant their songs of home.” – as per liner notes."

This is the only track online...Im going to hunt for some MP3s later tonight

Really great juju album from Ebenezer Obey, one of the big names of Nigerian music in this time, some really nice guitar playing on this record with some subtle synth squelches in the mix

This is Side A...the 4 tracks just run into each other without stopping playing...quite unusual in that regard

Really great juju album from Ebenezer Obey, one of the big names of Nigerian music in this time, some really nice guitar playing on this record with some subtle synth squelches in the mix

This is Side A...the 4 tracks just run into each other without stopping playing...quite unusual in that regard

Ooh, I've got that album. It's great :cool::thumbs:

I prefer it to the more famous Juju album from 84, by Obey's big rival King Sunny Ade:

Getting into the other side of the great Twin Cities rivalry now, it turns out Zen Arcade is actually pretty decent.

As a 13 year old girl in 1984 Madonna's Like a Virgin would have been my most played album.

As an adult I would choose Leoard Cohen's Various Positions as it's an album that I still listen to regulalrly, I love The Captain, probably my favourite song on the album.

Other faves from that year would be , Nick Cave, Violent femmes, Echo and the bunnymen, The Smiths and Husker DU.

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy recorded his first single, Paralyzed, in 1968. It's mixture of rockabilly, screaming and bugle solo has seen it described as the worst record ever released by a major label. However, it was a bit of a novelty hit and proved influential to the Psychobilly scene. It also picked up some celebrity fans such as Raquel Welch and David Bowie, who stole borrowed the Stardust part of his name for Ziggy Stardust.

A few singles followed but it wasn't until 1984, when Psychobilly had become a thing, that he managed to release his first album, Rock-It to Stardom, featuring strange and deranged rockabilly, lounge songs, a ballad and some spoken word interludes.

The two best Psychobilly albums from 84 are both compilations and therefore BANNED:

The Cramps – Bad Music For Bad People

Rockabilly Psychosis And The Garage Disease

Back
Top Bottom