Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1984

I love Stevie's Woman in Red OST, but it's not a great album.

It has one of his best tunes on, though:

And one of his weirdest, which I fucking love:

Bonkers Italo / NRG / synth pop from Yugoslavia (Baltalo?)

Great album, with some pretty ridiculous music, and then some quite classy stuff like this:

A couple of albums from Zimbabwe:

Patrick Mkwamba & The Four Brothers – Tonosangana Ikoko

Which features one of the greatest Zimbabwean guitar tunes of them all, Wapenga Nayo Bonus...

The Bhundu Boys – Hupenyu Hwepasi

Both these albums were only released in Zimbabwe, although some of the tracks turned up on UK releases a couple of years later. I love this stuff, so sunny and happy.

A couple of albums from Zaire:

Kanda Bongo Man – Amour Fou - Ekipé

KBM & guitarist Diblo Dibala continue rewriting the rules of Congolese Rhumba/Soukous

M'Bilia Bel – Bameli Soy

One of the few female vocalists on the soukous scene, she had 4 albums out in 84. This one's the best.

They’re playing nearby in a few months, worth going to see now?
Annoyingly, ms starfish got me tickets to see them back in 2020/1 but it was cancelled coz Covid & we couldnt make the rearranged date. I hadnt seen them since 1990.

Glad theyre still going, albeit with just 2 of the original lineup.

More quality Italo. Maybe 84 was not only the best year for Italo, but also the only year when Italo albums were good?

Hipnosis - Hipnosis

Is Hole the best industrial album of all time? Dunno. It is definitely very good.

It's only years later that I came to appreciate the big influence he must have had on Matt Johnsons Infected album (which Therwell produced). It also explains why all post Infected The The works are dreary trash with no bite or spark.

Oh yeah, can't believe it's taken this long to mention the Fall Mafiah pick but that is a strong one.

Another excellent year. Lots e choose from, so I'll start with this one. Conventional wisdom has it that his previous LP is the better release but I do have a soft spot for The Flat Earth.

Gorgeous production on this track

Back
Top Bottom