Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1984

Well, since The Smiths have already been namechecked (and rightly so), it'll have to be this from one of the best debut albums ever:

Unfortunately, the follow up ("Hats") was even better, but it's still a fantastic statement of intent.

This was when "indie" still meant something, and before it had all converged on samey sub-Smiths jingle-jangle oh I stubbed my toe bollocks.

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Hyæna

It doesn't contain any of their big hits, nobody really talks about it much, but this is a great album, balanced between their earlier darker punky stuff and their later lusher 80s sound.

Tones on Tail - Pop

Half of Bauhaus and some other fella make a wildly varied yet coherent album. I think this is my favourite Bauhaus related record.

Siouxsie & the Banshees most unbansheelike album, Hyaena is one I dont play often enough

Sorry belboid , I just noticed you'd already mentioned the Siouxsie & the Banshees album. I had it on this afternoon because it's not one I've listened to much and, yeah, it's really good :)

Do you prefer The Pearl or Plateaux of Mirror? I think it's the latter for me, although both are brilliant.
Fine margins and I suppose sometimes mood but I think I agree with you. My other favourites are Jane 1-11, Avalon Sutra , Lux and Music for Three Pianos. I liked his work with The Cocteau Twins , John Foxx and Robin Guthrie as well

Those of you who weren't around, or too young... can't emphasize just how radical the band below was... and the tabloid fury they had to put up with... not to mention the small town mentality from some (in Ireland as well as the UK) that greeted their message. Which is ironic.

got a huge amount of respect for them...never seen that video for Why - that wouldve cost a fortune, huge production. I was too young to notice the tabloid fury. Well done them.
Smalltown boy one of the most powerful TOTP moments in my experience of that era

Jah Shaka Meets Mad Professor At Ariwa Studios is probably my favourite dub album, edging out even mid 70s Perry & Tubby with its 80s electronic weirdness.

Also on Ariwa is The Wild Bunch album, with peak Mad Professor doing his thing and Sandra Cross on vocals.

Am with you on that , the Shaka + Prof album is a genuine classic - cutting edge 80s studio equipment giving it that crisp sound. Havent heard the Wild Bunch look forward to checking.

THeres also this Shaka meets Twinkles album which is up there with the very best if not the best of Shaka album productions thanks to Norman Grants vocals
No filler on this...uncompromising grey racist south london roots fightback

JA wise looking through the year theres loads of early dancehall and rubadub but none of it translates to albums...Sugar Minott put out 4 albums in 84! Theres 10 great cuts in amongst them

The only thing close to a great album I've found is
which is classic material and includes anthems World-A-Music and General

Last edited:
The other two big rock in opposition releases are Univers Zero's Uzed which sees this strange modern classical-rock cross over head further away from their wild and woolly early days to something much more staid.

1723190860328.png

Etron Fou Louloublan add a keyboard player who takes some of the edge off the sound and makes it a bit more atmospheric on Les sillons de la terre. But this is all relative, there's still PLENTY of edge. Wild madcap punk jazz songs and ever so French keys/sax/bass/drums.

1723190914680.png

Scott Walker- Climate of The Hunter

This was Walker's comeback album ,It followed a series of middle of the road covers albums but picked up from his four song contribution on the last Walkers Brother album Night Flights released in 1978. It's a beautiful haunting self penned album which gets richer and richer on repeated listenings. Billy Ocean adds backing vocals to Walker's unique delivery and there are some startling and subtle contributions by Evan Parker and weirdly enough Mark Knopler. The production is superb. Won't be to everyone's taste but those that know will know.

This was Walker's comeback album ,It followed a series of middle of the road covers albums but picked up from his four song contribution on the last Walkers Brother album Night Flights released in 1978. It's a beautiful haunting self penned album which gets richer and richer on repeated listenings. Billy Ocean adds backing vocals to Walker's unique delivery and there are some startling and subtle contributions by Evan Parker and weirdly enough Mark Knopler. The production is superb. Won't be to everyone's taste but those that know will know.

I've never really got into Scott Walker, but an album with Evan Parker, Mark Knopler and Billy Ocean has to be a must listen.

This is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom