Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1974

I was going to make up a prog rock list, but I really think it was dying as a genre at this point. Evolving in one direction into something much more safe and in the other more avant garde. On the one hand things which are generically prog rock but aren't really progressing and on the other things which no longer sound as if they are part of the genre. Anyway, I've updated my "Euro Rock" Spotify list.

Theres a Bob Marley and the Wailers album called Natty Dread...Ive never heard it but Ive heard every single track on it countless times....thats a pretty impressive ability to write such catchy and universal songs that can live independently outside the album they're contained on.....

(tracklist is)
Lively Up Yourself 5:29
No Woman, No Cry 4:06
Them Belly Full (But We Hungry) 3:10
Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Road Block) 6:40
So Jah Seh 4:25
Natty Dread 3:33
Bend Down Low 3:10
Talkin' Blues 4:06
Revolution

Last edited:
on no not another Miles Davis 1970s long and winding fusion album (Big Fun).... and its made up of off cuts from earlier recording sessions.... and its amazing...overlooked IMO, i hadnt heard of it even...victim of the quantity and quality of his output I expect...if you like any of the other Miles albums from this era this is absolutely right up there

Last edited:
Theres a Bob Marley and the Wailers album called Natty Dread...Ive never heard it but Ive heard every single track on it countless times....thats a pretty impressive ability to write such catchy and universal songs that can live independently outside the album they're contained on.....

(tracklist is)
Lively Up Yourself 5:29
No Woman, No Cry 4:06
Them Belly Full (But We Hungry) 3:10
Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Road Block) 6:40
So Jah Seh 4:25
Natty Dread 3:33
Bend Down Low 3:10
Talkin' Blues 4:06
Revolution
It's #2 on my list, absolute gold

Oh this Jorge Ben album is tremendous. Not in a ground breaking way, this is perfection.

A Tábua de Esmeralda

This just appeared for me at random on youtube.

Prepare yourself for a mesmerizing sonic journey through the vibrant streets of Soweto with Batsumi's self-titled masterpiece. Released in 1974, this album is a testament to the rich tapestry of South African jazz and its ability to captivate audiences with its infectious rhythms and soul-stirring melodies. Led by the enigmatic Maswaswe Mothopeng on vocals and guitar, Batsumi delivers a spellbinding fusion of jazz, folk, and world music that transcends borders and speaks to the universal human experience.

From the hypnotic grooves of "Lishonile" to the haunting beauty of "Emampondweni," each track on this album is a sonic revelation, transporting listeners to a world where music knows no bounds. With their unique blend of traditional African instrumentation and contemporary jazz sensibilities, Batsumi creates a sound that is at once familiar and yet utterly original. It's music that speaks to the soul, reminding us of the power of music to unite, uplift, and inspire.

But what truly sets Batsumi apart is their fearless experimentation and boundless creativity. Tracks like "Mamshanyana" and "Itumeleng" push the boundaries of the jazz genre, incorporating elements of improvisation and freeform exploration to create a sound that is as daring as it is beautiful. With their infectious energy and undeniable talent, Batsumi has carved out a unique place for themselves in the annals of South African music history.

So sit back, relax, and let the music of Batsumi wash over you like a warm summer breeze, transporting you to a world of wonder and possibility. With their self-titled debut album, Batsumi invites you to join them on a musical odyssey unlike any other, where the night is filled with magic, and the day is always full of promise.

Will put a list in tomorrow morn if I wake up in time. Giving this ambient one another listen tonight.
Egisto Macchi - Il deserto

Back
Top Bottom