Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year - best Live album Ever

Ny00MDMzLmpwZWc.jpeg

There are a few things that were originally bootlegs that I really like. This Stones one got them on a great night:

View attachment 313704

and this Joy Division one got a semi-official release once as part of a box set I think. I had a C90 of it that I'd paid a fiver for that I played to death. Much rawer sounding than Unknown Pleasures:

View attachment 313705
This is a good one if you like The Stones.

ETA: Shit! Same album!!! :oops:

I've been trying to think of some amazing live albums from this millennium. I'm struggling.

Why is that? Bands still put them out. Bands still put on great performances. What are the killer live albums from the last 22 years?

Has anyone listened to The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live at Madison Square Garden? It's got rave reviews, but at over three hours long I've never been able to summon the energy for it. They've done a handful of great tunes and they were good when i saw them in about 2003, but I obviously don't like them enough to face listening to them for 188 minutes.

I'm not big on live albums but I love this one from Joni's 70s jazzy period (released 1980) , with an all-star band inc Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker etc

1647029500543.png

Kick Out The Jams
Live At The Regal
Live At The Apollo
That Spiritualized one whose full name escapes me. The Royal Albert Hall one. First few off the top of my head.

You've got to be pretty damn good to top this though really:

View attachment 313628
There is NO substitute for Live at Leeds.
Actually I haven't really listen to loads of live albums, but this is probably one of my most played.

LmpwZWc.jpeg
As someone already said, Space Ritual is a great album.
I'm not their greatest fan but the Allmans at the Fillmore East I remember being good.
At the other end of the scale, the most disappointing has to be Quo live. They were superb live, great atmosphere, but live albums fell well short.

this is great fun too :dude:

really sorry to be a killkoy but most of the comments on discogs say its not really live
this kind of thing

View attachment 313976

i dont think that should put anyone off voting for it

Funny you should mention that, I've not listened to that record for years and was reminded of it with Indeliblelink posting Adamski. I thought the crowd sounded a bit suspect on hearing it again, although not as obvious as on this Seeds album!

Not quite sure where you're coming from with that argument. Great performances and great live albums aren't quite the same thing. There's loads of performances that people who were there rave about, but don't come across on a live album - are there any absolutely essential Bowie live albums?

Live albums can work for all sorts of reasons.

Like The Cramps' Smell of Female - as you listen to it you can feel the sweat drip from the ceiling, Lux Interior's asides to the audience feel like they're directed to the person bopping next to you, it puts you in the Peppermint Lounge for a riotous gig.

Or Jerry Lee Lewis & The Nashville Teens Live at the Hamburg Star Club - Lewis powers through those songs with such furious abandon that it makes the iconic original studio recordings sound like nursery rhymes.

Or Fania All Stars Recorded Live at the Red Garter - a performance by a crowd of many of the best US Latin musicians, most of whom are a decade or two into their careers, bringing together the many styles of Latin music - pachanga, cha cha, guajira, son, montuno, guaguanco, danzon, boogaloo - and right there on the record creating a new scene, a new sound - salsa. You're listening to musical history.

Sure, they are all great performances, but a great live album needs more than just that. And like you say, a great live album doesn't even need a great performance at all.

That was a bit of an early morning grumpy post from me. But good reply!

I think there can be a distance between the performer and the audience and I think it's the duty of the performer to overcome that distance.

There are some Sun Ra live gigs that really get to the heart of a great live album (for me). Wild improvisation that you can get lost in followed by joyous chants that everyone can join in or clap along. Like a religious experience captured on record. Compared that to Coltrane Live at Birdland which I really like, but it's about the performer creating space for themselves. Not sure I need that on a live album.

Anyway another nomination. Alber Ayler in Greenwich Village. Another one where it's very much about the sonic collective.

1647110638874.png

Last edited:
I've been trying to think of some amazing live albums from this millennium. I'm struggling.

Why is that? Bands still put them out. Bands still put on great performances. What are the killer live albums from the last 22 years?
A couple I loved from last year (both recorded at the same venue as it happens)

Loads of albums I've dug recently have been live recordings tbf, though theyre rarely rock gods in their prime...

AMM - The Crypt
1647112052461.png

Musica Elettronica Viva - The Sound Pool

1647112167388.png

Pity Anima Sound never made a live album.

The Sting-Rays used to get pigeonholed as a psychobilly band, but they were much more than that limited category. 50's rockabilly, 60's psych, 70's punk & 80's trash all mixed together in a glorious racket.

belboid will you do one of these for film soundtracks?
I’ll add it to the list

There will probably only be one such poll a year, as we go through the decades. I don’t want to spoil all the excitement for you by telling all my plans yet though.

Reactions: MBV
Back
Top Bottom