Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1992

I don't know who any of these people are. Small corner of the musical world that I've just not explored.

17 - L7 - Bricks Are Heavy
l7-bricks-are-heavy-Cover-Art.jpg

Ahh L7. I don't remember the songs but I remember them properly rocking.

12 - Dr Dre - The Chronic
dr-dre-the-chronic-Cover-Art.jpg

I know enough about rap to know this is a poor showing for this classic. Just a fraction of a smidgen above Generation Terrorists. U75 rock bias (which I contribute to)

Code: Selfish not shown up yet, seems like ska's prediction may well come true. :D
Btw if you said to a younger millennial metal fan which 1992 album changed the scene they'd probably say Dream Theater's Images and Words. It's really big among people younger than the U75 demographic.
Depends who you ask, innit, I would've thought Blaze In The Northern Sky was pretty genre-defining. Don't think you can deny that RATM had a pretty massive impact on metal music in the 90s, even if it wasn't entirely positive.
The second best shoegaze band after MBV?
Are we counting J&MC as a shoegaze band? In which case it'd be the third best, or possibly the second best after J&MC, not really listened to enough Lush to be able to compare them.

The second best shoegaze band after MBV?
Lush were always one step to the side of all the other shoegaze bands, doing something slightly different, their own thing. Which is probably why I like them a whole lot more than MBV or Ride or whoever.

For what it's worth, I just thought "hmm, I bet 1992 was probably a pretty big year for death metal", and looking it up it turns out that 1992 was the year Cannibal Corpse did Tomb of the Mutilated, Obituary did The End Complete, Autopsy did Acts of the Unspeakable, and Deicide did Legion. Plus Clandestine by Entombed came out in 1991 in Europe but 1992 in the US, and the IVth Crusade by Bolt Thrower was released in 1992 over here and 1993 in the US. I have listened to precisely none of them cos I'm not that fussed about death metal, killer b would probably know more.

For what it's worth, I just thought "hmm, I bet 1992 was probably a pretty big year for death metal", and looking it up it turns out that 1992 was the year Cannibal Corpse did Tomb of the Mutilated, Obituary did The End Complete, Autopsy did Acts of the Unspeakable, and Deicide did Legion. Plus Clandestine by Entombed came out in 1991 in Europe but 1992 in the US, and the IVth Crusade by Bolt Thrower was released in 1992 over here and 1993 in the US. I have listened to precisely none of them cos I'm not that fussed about death metal, killer b would probably know more.

Yeah I thought that too but I don't know enough about the genre to go hunting for good ones. I'm not sure most of the more mainstream metal has aged that well.

9 - PJ Harvey - Dry

p-j-harvey-dry-Cover-Art.jpg

Two things to say:

1) Shockingly I've never listened to a PJ Harvey album before.
2) This is the actual best rock album of the year nevermind XXXXX and YYYYYY or ZZZZZ for that matter. Actually better than the Fall!
3) Fuck me.

Got to level with you all. I've not listened to any of the following 8 albums either. I need more advisors.

12 - Dr Dre - The Chronic
dr-dre-the-chronic-Cover-Art.jpg

I know enough about rap to know this is a poor showing for this classic. Just a fraction of a smidgen above Generation Terrorists. U75 rock bias (which I contribute to)
I listened to this for the first time in years. I was weighing up whether it should be on my list but I found with this and some of the other rap I listened to was just cringey in its misogyny. It's always been there but the older I get the more it jars. 2001 is worse though much as I still love some of the tracks.

As a side note, dry only got made because of Jehovakill. pj was dubious about going with Island, who she thought were too mainstream, but was sent downstairs to listen to what JC was recording at the time which was anything but mainstream. She came back upstairs and signed.

Back
Top Bottom