Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Jewish voices opposed to the current conflict in Gaza are indeed important voices, so I do find little to disagree with in this piece. However this part did make me chuckle:

Last weekend, hundreds of thousands of men, women and children around the world marched to express their disgust at Israel’s air and ground assault on the Gaza Strip, and among them were swathes of Jews and Israelis. This is one of the few situations in which it makes a difference to stand up and say: not in our name. Not now, not ever again. Being Jewish, or having Jewish roots, doesn’t make you responsible for what is happening in Gaza, but it does mean that your dissent carries that much more weight.

Too sick to protest but happy to tweet about it. I guess it's easier to sit back and let others risk it more when protesting.

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-a...tensifies-it-not-anti-semitic-say-not-my-name

At least her taxi stopped & Ryan Gosling wasn't required to drag lp out the way

Lp on Twitter:

"Once in London a taxi stopped right next to me on the street and @andrejapejic got out. For a second I saw an angel, in a leopardprint coat. "

I read somewhere that TNI pays $50 per article. Rachel Rosenfelt went to Barnard College, $44k a year - the most selective school in the US according to wiki - her da isn't short of a few bob.

More weird attacks on anti-humantrafficking orgs the other day, from Crabapple this time.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that TNI pays $50 per article. Rachel Rosenfelt went to Barnard College, $44k a year - the most selective school in the US according to wiki - her da isn't short of a few bob.

More weird attacks on anti-humantrafficking orgs the other day, from Crabapple this time.
I read that as more attacks on trafficking orgs... from anti-human Crabapple

She who doesn't believe in diversity remember. It's framed as 'I believe in talent' but let's face it, it's all about hiring people like her and her class i.e. LP.

Be good if you could post why he is a dick, the level of obsession with I/P is intense, the killing in Syria is much more, and yes who is marching against ISIS?, the numbers of demos far outweighing those for the thousands who have died, some at their own hand as a consequence of the benefit cuts, I'm not saying what is happening in Palestine isn't obscene, but I do think its worth exploring why amongst radicals and the liberal left it is the central cause of the decade.

in terms of obsession I used to be one of them but what can we do here.

Is lauriepenny doing anything anymore deserving of the focus she retains on this thread?

She seems to have stopped, or at least toned down, the anarchist/radical left pose which was always my main beef with her.

She appears to have moved on to other more fertile pastures, which have nowt to do with me.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but might be worth letting Laurie get on with it and focus on those closer to home as it were...

She's off to Harvard now so I'm sure we won't be hearing from her for a good while anyway. She will likely return in some future guise. But she won't be short of political allies across the pond:

1. Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed Jul 26
  2. In exactly three weeks I'll be getting on the plane to Cambridge, MA. Leaving England and my job for a whole year to go Back To College.

1. Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch Jul 26
  2. @PennyRed how exciting. Staying at Harvard?
  3. Details Expand Collapse

Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
Laurie PennyVerified account ‏@PennyRed Jul 26
@LouiseMensch fellowship at Harvard, yep. Really exciting!

Bloodworth: Labour should cut its ties with the illiberal Henry Jackson Society (2013)
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/20/labour-cut-ties-henry-jackson-society

Bloodworth speaks at a Henry Jackson Society event (2014): http://henryjacksonsociety.org/2014...der-parties-assessing-the-european-elections/
Bloodworth is a total dick. He once blocked me for daring to ask what the point of "demonstrating against Islamic extremism" was, and what form it would it take.

She's off to Harvard now so I'm sure we won't be hearing from her for a good while anyway. She will likely return in some future guise. But she won't be short of political allies across the pond:

1. Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed Jul 26
  2. In exactly three weeks I'll be getting on the plane to Cambridge, MA. Leaving England and my job for a whole year to go Back To College.

1. Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch Jul 26
  2. @PennyRed how exciting. Staying at Harvard?
  3. Details Expand Collapse

Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
Laurie PennyVerified account ‏@PennyRed Jul 26
@LouiseMensch fellowship at Harvard, yep. Really exciting!

She is conversing with Mensch!

Bloodworth is a total dick. He once blocked me for daring to ask what the point of "demonstrating against Islamic extremism" was, and what form it would it take.

There are people who go on protests at the drop of the hat, yet won't demonstrate against the Islamists, maybe they should and the public would take them more seriously, why shouldn't there be protests against the Mullahs who shout 'all gays should go to hell"(which to them is a literal proposition) etc and propagandists.

There are people who go on protests at the drop of the hat, yet won't demonstrate against the Islamists, maybe they should and the public would take them more seriously, why shouldn't there be protests against the Mullahs who shout 'all gays should go to hell"(which to them is a literal proposition) etc and propagandists.
You done any of that?

Because I'm not a populist who goes on pointless protests just to prove to "the public" that I'm being even-handed. Islamic extremism is already opposed by the government, the security forces, the newspapers and basically the entire establishment, so what's the purpose of my protest? Who am I trying to influence/affect?

Also, what exact form is my protest supposed to take? A generic A to B march through the city where I denounce islamic extremism? If I announced that it would inevitably attract lots of racists, with lots of racist banners and generally look like an intimidating mass demonstration that made no differentiation between the vast majority of peaceful muslims and the people I'm supposedly targeting. Or would you prefer a march on a specific Mosque? Good luck with that, a bunch of white people marching on a Mosque to shout at the worshippers...

So, in short, impractical, pointless, reinforcing a load of racist stuff I abhor. Lots of reasons not to do it.

Back
Top Bottom