Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Almost as if it's not them, it's you...
I moved a lot in my twenties - left uni at 22 moved 9 times over the next 7 years. Being in the same place for the next 7 years was liberating because suddenly I was in control of when I moved.

Last but one time we had to move out of the flat we were in because the landlord wanted to sell it. It then sat empty for the next 8 months.

I only haven't moved because I'm lucky enough to be in social housing. Last private rental gaff before I had to move because landlord was selling the place. I was technically homeless... Only for a fortnight but still. I coulda got an article in the Guardian about that yeah?

I only haven't moved because I'm lucky enough to be in social housing. Last private rental gaff before I had to move because landlord was selling the place. I was technically homeless... Only for a fortnight but still. I coulda got an article in the Guardian about that yeah?
Totally - probably two articles if you tried hard.

This is why we need the commenterriate. Who else will pen our truths from Harvard.
I bet she keeps up her New Statesman column etc whilst she's over there. I'm surprised she hasn't asked for a room on Twitter yet (Harvard Square of course).

The last gaffe I had before this one I got my teeth knocked down my throat for answering the door. That was a laugh.

It actually was a laugh - TBH, I didn't really give a shit and my colleague who bundled the assailants out of the door went "You're a twat you, now I've saw them off you're laughing about it". Which I was.

Still though laurie, there's loads of empty flats up there with the bedroom tax and that.

there is, of course, more to just bad housing experience than having to move a lot. there's also not being able to move from a bad situation due to poverty. many of us who have had to move around lots crave the security of being able to stay in one place - but just because someone hasn't had to move in 5 years doesn't mean their housing is secure, decent, or appropriate. families in hostels, beds in sheds, living in shitty shared housing because you can't afford the deposit on a new place. there's a lot of other experiences other than transience.

Willesden? I live there. Haven't seen her in Sainsbury's or in Flynn's or McGowan's. Must be in Angie's III where she gets her pints.

Willesden? I live there. Haven't seen her in Sainsbury's or in Flynn's or McGowan's. Must be in Angie's III where she gets her pints.
Was in angies yesterday for the Roscommon v mayo game , no sign of her but maybe she was in the pool room?

I did notice both the willesden and cricklewood McGowans were closed yesterday when I was doing me Sunday rounds.

can't see how i lose anything by not having been aware of either of those things before. what nonsense is the war about?

Amber A'Lee Frost wrote a piece for Jacobin about the term "bro". It mostly argues that dismissing certain types of expertise, interest or knowledge as "bro" stuff is counterproductive for feminists. In a slightly odd and incongruous aside she said that she thought that talking about real male violence or threats of violence in "cutesy" terms like bro is also ill conceived and linked to a tweet by Sarah Kendzior to illustrate that aside. The link was quickly removed, presumably after complaints.

So far, so not that interesting. Where it gets educational is the next stage: Kendzior complains on twitter that the Jacobin piece "mocked" her rape threats. And so starts a massive twitter storm, targeted at Frost and Megan Erickson, a Jacobin editor. People all over twitter performing solidarity with Kendzior, the Jacobin women getting called rape apologists by people who clearly have no idea what the arguments were about, crazier and crazier stuff. By now the whole thing is in Newsweek, Salon, even libertarian rag Reason.

(Frost and Erickson are little known Marxist types associated with Jacobin, Kendzior is a leftish mainstream journalist, with a slightly incongruous past connection to Freedom House).

It's perhaps the archetypal left wing twitter row. A perfect encapsulation of the culture and process.

If these people were English you would know who they are. Or at least you would know who Kendzior is. You probably already know what Jacobin is, even if the writers and editors aren't widely known in their own right.

The point isn't that any of these people are of particular importance to the lives of anyone here.

yeah, that is quite an interesting article. was worth a read for sure. also not going to worry about the twitter stuff because i hate twitter.

Back
Top Bottom