Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine: Unsubstantiated rumours and speculation

Yep. If this of genuine Ukraine intelligence is incompetent for making it public. More likely they are spreading shit based on vague rumours to try and cause friction at the top in Russia.
Or the name they have for VP's successor is not Bortnikov's, but someone else's, and they want to run interference for the latter?

It probably is just shite talk, obviously.

Definitely seems to be tensions between FSB and Putin - stories of info leaked to Ukraine, anonymous operatives slagging off Russian war incompetence on social media - so maybe Ukrainian spooks shit stirring to add to the fun times behind the scenes in the Kremlin.

I think it's just PCA getting over excited again and not checking tweets he's quoting.

For a historian he can be a bit shit at checking his sources, (note date on below tweet). Or even reading replies to his own tweet...

does that mean they were intending to do all this capturing and liberating back in 2014 ? Why did they not attempt it back then?

Perfect place for baseless speculation- maybe Putin saw that trump was about to announce his candidacy and thought it might be worth waiting a bit in case America left nato, as his idiot friend Donald thought it ought to.
eta that was a close run thing, it seems, if academics are busying themselves with how come it didn't happen.

Last edited:
From Twitter so possibly bollocks, although rings true with the Pentagon presentation yesterday that also mentioned frostbite.
Fascinating claimed intercepted call from Russian officer near Mykolaiv to superiors in Russia.
He says:
  • This is worse than Chechnya
  • 50% of troops have frostbite
  • They can’t evacuate the dead
  • Don’t have enough tents
  • RU plane dropped a bomb on their own position
  • One column was hit with Grad rockets. Can’t even figure out if it was friendly fire
- Medics only have bandages. Can’t help with frostbite
- No hot stove
- Digging trenched to sleep in
- Commander of 49th CAA told troops on 4th day that war will be over in hours
- Troops don’t have body armor. When one complained to commander was told “son, be strong”
- This special operation is a “madhouse”
- Being told not to destroy buildings - it’s insanity. Unless we destroy everything and turn into dirt along with the civilians, nothing can happen
  • TV says we are moving forward. But we just drive through without clearing up villages. And now we have to defend from all sides because they are attacking everywhere
  • They thought this would be like a parade ride
  • Our task was to get to Mykolaiv. And we are sitting here.

Interesting summary about war time proganda by Anne Morelli in Principes élémentaires de propagande de guerre

1. We do not want war.
  2. The opposite party alone is guilty of war.
  3. The enemy is inherently evil and resembles the devil.
  4. We defend a noble cause, not our own interests.
  5. The enemy commits atrocities on purpose; our mishaps are involuntary.
  6. The enemy uses forbidden weapons.
  7. We suffer small losses, those of the enemy are enormous.
  8. Recognized artists and intellectuals back our cause.
  9. Our cause is sacred.
  10. All who doubt our propaganda are traitors

Last edited:
Interesting summary about war time proganda by Anne Morelli in Principes élémentaires de propagande de guerre

1. We do not want war.
  2. The opposite party alone is guilty of war.
  3. The enemy is inherently evil and resembles the devil.
  4. We defend a noble cause, not our own interests.
  5. The enemy commits atrocities on purpose; our mishaps are involuntary.
  6. The enemy uses forbidden weapons.
  7. We suffer small losses, those of the enemy are enormous.
  8. Recognized artists and intellectuals back our cause.
  9. Our cause is sacred.
  10. All who doubt our propaganda are traitors
Same as it always has been. This idea that inhumanity is the other side. I still remember the propaganda of Saddam Hussein’s army throwing babies out of incubators to steal the equipment to go back to Iraq. Entirely invented by a western public relations company to justify the war.

Can we merge this thread with the invasion news one? Keep this thread title for the merged thread?

I thought the idea was to have unsubstantiated stuff in a separate thread.

(I’m not really keeping track of the main thread so idk if this was a comment on how much of what’s posted on either thread is unsubstantiated / rumour.)

I thought the idea was to have unsubstantiated stuff in a separate thread.

(I’m not really keeping track of the main thread so idk if this was a comment on how much of what’s posted on either thread is unsubstantiated / rumour.)
I think the suggestion is that nothing on the main thread is satisfactorily substantiated either. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom