Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, Feb 2022 - tangentially related crap

Weird but not unprecedented - seems like it could be a good way of raising funds from Ukrainians overseas etc., people might be more likely to drop money in a box marked "Let's raise $1,000 for a rocket that says "Fuck you Putin!" that one that just says "Funds for defending Ukraine."

eastereggsforhitler.png

I couldn't open the washington post article. But I think the summary is, FSB knew the Ukrainians would fight but this wasn't passed onto Putin

I couldn't open the washington post article. But I think the summary is, FSB knew the Ukrainians would fight but this wasn't passed onto Putin

It's a long and interesting article, and highlights a lot of confusion on both sides TBH.

Paywall busted link - archive.ph

And yet, the agency failed to incapacitate Ukraine’s government, foment any semblance of a pro-Russian groundswell or interrupt President Volodymyr Zelensky’s hold on power. Its analysts either did not fathom how forcefully Ukraine would respond, Ukrainian and Western officials said, or did understand but couldn’t or wouldn’t convey such sober assessments to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

There are records that add to the mystery of Russian miscalculations. Extensive polls conducted for the FSB show that large segments of Ukraine’s population were prepared to resist Russian encroachment, and that any expectation that Russian forces would be greeted as liberators was unfounded. Even so, officials said, the FSB continued to feed the Kremlin rosy assessments that Ukraine’s masses would welcome the arrival of Russia’s military and the restoration of Moscow-friendly rule.

“There was plenty of wishful thinking in the GRU and the military, but it started with the FSB,” said a senior Western security official, using the GRU abbreviation for Russia’s main military intelligence agency. “The sense that there would be flowers strewn in their path — that was an FSB exercise.” He and other security officials in Ukraine, the United States and Europe spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

“We didn’t envision … some classic invasion in Second World War style with tanks, artillery and infantry,” a senior Ukrainian security official said. Ukraine was wrong about Russia’s intentions, he said, but even Moscow may not have envisioned a major land war.

“They expected somebody to open the gate,” the official said. “They didn’t expect any resistance.”

In an interview this month with The Post, Zelensky said that well before the invasion, Russia had been waging “a hybrid war against our state. There was an energy blow, there was a political blow.”

Two Russians and a Ukrainian are being "investigated" after trying to enter a military facility in Albania.

Two soldiers were slightly injured while detaining a 24-year-old man from Russia who entered the grounds of the Gramsh military facility, in central Albania, and was trying to take photographs, the defence ministry said late on Saturday.

“The Russian national reacted physically and he also used a spray, which injured the two soldiers who managed to warn the police,” Defence Minister Niko Peleshi said after visiting the troops in the hospital.

Two others, a 33-year-old Russian woman and a Ukrainian man aged 25, were arrested nearby.

Albania investigates Russian and Ukraine intruders at army base

Two Russians and a Ukrainian are being "investigated" after trying to enter a military facility in Albania.

Albania investigates Russian and Ukraine intruders at army base
They’re known faces in the urbex (urban exploration) community apparently and the facility was abandoned, like a lot of ex-soviet military sites which are of particular interest to these types. What makes it slightly sinister is the pepper spraying of the military guys who caught them. Plus I guess this would be good cover if you were genuinely sneaking around active military sites for nefarious reasons. But probably nothing in the scheme of things.

Twitter hysterical types are already calling it a breach of NATO article 5 or whatever it is.:rolleyes:

Translation of above quote in link: "Today it is obvious to every Russian: we must attack. We must strike systematically, with all the help of the world. Almost all men who have served in the army are ready for mobilization. We're all ready. And I'm ready. We must get this bitch of a word out of the world map, forget this language, and save our Russian world. We must. It's our duty. And our right! So let's do it. And let's exercise our right!"

Before the invasion of 24/2 he called Ukrainians "animals" and said "we'll send troops into Ukraine. It's our land, fuck you." Kremlin-funded RT presenter claims Ukraine is Russian land that Russia will ‘take back’ by force

Gregg is some right wing racist who is opening up a barber shop in down town Moscow due to its excellent business rates and support for entrepreneurs like him

1661505660866.png1661505721582.png

The Ukrainian Auxiliary Police were mainly OUN, Organisation of Ukrainian Nationalists, a fascist armed force led by Bandera and Melnyk.

What really is the point of posting that, something that happened 81 years ago ffs? It's not relevant to the current discussion, thread title, nor what's going on there now is it? Looks like some passive aggressive attempt to negate the horror of the previous post tbh.

Last edited:
What really is the point of posting that, something that happened 81 years ago ffs? It's not relevant to the current discussion, thread title, nor what's going on there now is it? Looks like some passive aggressive attempt to negate the horror of the previous post tbh.
Can you tag me into any 'wrong post' replies, that you make in the future please? I reposted it to the 'On this Day' thread as you are right the subject matter doesn't fit comfortably under 'tangentially related crap' .

Reactions: LDC
Back
Top Bottom