Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Seems a bit dumb to be filing reports like that under their real name from within Russia.
He's a well known journalist posted to Russia, accredited as a journalist with the Russian foreign ministry. I'm not sure he's going to get away with publishing stuff under a fake name.

There are loads of Western journalists operating in Russia at the moment - the BBC have got Steve Rosenberg, who's been there for 20 years, and all of them are publishing stuff to varying degrees on the reality of Putin's Russia from within Russia. A journalist hasn't been held on charges like this since the cold war, and I don't think it would have been reasonable to expect them to either stop publishing these kinds of stories, or put them out under pseudonyms, without either being accused of deception by Russia, or having to compromise on their journalistic integrity.

One thing is for sure though, that not only do Russia now have another high value hostage to trade for Russian's being held in Western jails, but it sends a message to every Western journalist in Russia to be very careful about what they say. It's terrifying.

Its all well and good saying he is well known and accredited but he is in Russia which at this stage is not to be regarded as a country that gives much of a fuck whether someone is a well known accredited journalist.
We might not be technically at war with Russia but I don't think Putin sees it that way (tbh neither do I)

I anticipate the west recruiting boots on the ground soon enough.

Isn't this already the case? There is a slow but steady flow of eager beaver volunteers coming home in boxes and lots of more official military advisors floating around behind the lines. Perhaps, Galloway should start recruiting for a contemporary International Brigade to add some balance to the mix. It could be named after the classical composer of his choice

Last edited:
He's a well known journalist posted to Russia, accredited as a journalist with the Russian foreign ministry. I'm not sure he's going to get away with publishing stuff under a fake name.

There are loads of Western journalists operating in Russia at the moment - the BBC have got Steve Rosenberg, who's been there for 20 years, and all of them are publishing stuff to varying degrees on the reality of Putin's Russia from within Russia. A journalist hasn't been held on charges like this since the cold war, and I don't think it would have been reasonable to expect them to either stop publishing these kinds of stories, or put them out under pseudonyms, without either being accused of deception by Russia, or having to compromise on their journalistic integrity.

One thing is for sure though, that not only do Russia now have another high value hostage to trade for Russian's being held in Western jails, but it sends a message to every Western journalist in Russia to be very careful about what they say. It's terrifying.

I agree with most of that, but all those reporters must have been aware that something like this happening was highly likely, if not inevitable, in view of the current situation, with relationships between Russia and the west being at least as bad as during cold war, and arguably even worst.

I see no issue in reporters within Russia reporting back the basic details of what they have to their media outlet, and leaving it to some other respected reporter, that's in a safe position, to put the finished report together under their own name, it's not unusual for 'sources' to feed in information to be used in a report penned by someone else.

Isn't this already the case? There is a slow but steady flow if eager beaver volunteers coming home in boxes and lots of more official military advisors floating around behind the lines. Perhaps, Galloway should start recruiting for a contemporary International Brigade to add some balance to the mix. It could be named after the classical composer of his choice
Bakfark perhaps

Reactions: tim
Wall Street Journal correspondent Evan Gershkovich has been arrested by the FSB on espionage charges, a day or two after this report on the Russian economy was published

As the war continues into its second year and Western sanctions bite harder, Russia’s government revenue is being squeezed and its economy has shifted to a lower-growth trajectory, likely for the long term.

The country’s biggest exports, gas and oil, have lost major customers. Government finances are strained. The ruble is down over 20% since November against the dollar. The labor force has shrunk as young people are sent to the front or flee the country over fears of being drafted. Uncertainty has curbed business investment.

Our Conservative government managed to achieve these economic consequences without going to war or being sanctioned by Western regimes

I agree with most of that, but all those reporters must have been aware that something like this happening was highly likely, if not inevitable, in view of the current situation, with relationships between Russia and the west being at least as bad as during cold war, and arguably even worst.
Very much worse. For all of their faults, the SU was still nominally interested in spreading international communism and didn't want to be seen as a pariah state. So they mostly followed the rules - or at least the same rules that the Americans did. Russia gives absolutely zero fucks what anyone else thinks and behaves accordingly.

A bit more on it here, apparently he was handed a large figurine as a gift. It had a bomb inside. In comments following the Twitter post below there’s actually a video of the handover (though not the explosion)

I wonder who he pissed off in the FSB.

A bit more on it here, apparently he was handed a large figurine as a gift. It had a bomb inside. In comments following the Twitter post below there’s actually a video of the handover (though not the explosion)

I wonder who he pissed off in the FSB.

Putin?

Can't say that he's much of a loss to the world.

tbh, more likely that he probably pi55ed off the uuagner paymaster ...

He was Ukrainian wasn’t he ? Another example of the bizarre cross over of far right activists between Russia and Ukraine
He was in jail for armed robbery in 2011, was freed by Russia when they invaded in 2014. Guess he was grateful for that at least.

He was threatened by the state for posting negative stuff about the army. Close associate of Wagner, this event was in a cafe once owned by Prigozin, hosted by a pro-war ‘cyber’ group. Some are saying this is an attack on Wagner from within Russia, but a few other organisations/states might also have an interest here.

He was in jail for armed robbery in 2011, was freed by Russia when they invaded in 2014. Guess he was grateful for that at least.

He was threatened by the state for posting negative stuff about the army. Close associate of Wagner, this event was in a cafe once owned by Prigozin, hosted by a pro-war ‘cyber’ group. Some are saying this is an attack on Wagner from within Russia, but a few other organisations/states might also have an interest here.

Murky world . Anyway no one going to miss him

Back
Top Bottom