Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK Votes to Leave EU

I never mentioned my gender and there is no reason for me to have, so no reason for you to think that. I don't have a degree, have never studied sociology, psychology or any similar subject. You clearly have yet it has not helped you quell your racist and sexist feelings. I am sorry.
How did you end up using the jargon of Bernstein and his book if you ain't that fancy and don't read books then? (And you actually used it back to front).

(This didn't happen and hasn't repeatedly happened Spymaster as you didn't see it)

Choice huh. I wonder why so many people chose this route? Perhaps it was because they didn't feel they had any choices?

If you chalk so many people's choice up to bigotry and racism, where does that leave them left to go? Or you, for that matter?

You are excusing racist thinking and behaviour. I am going to take my daughter, who is mixed race for a driving lesson so she does not have to share a bus with closet racist dicks who excuse the racism of others to help relieve the guilt they feel within themselves. That you and butchers apron can agree with the article you posted a link to is beyond belief. Read it with your eyes open.

Renzi's comments almost make me wish I'd voted leave...
t’s impossible to belong to [the] community only with the good things, and not with the bad things. In every family, if you belong to [the] family, you must accept the good things and the bad things. It is impossible to speak only about the single market and [not] accept the politics about migration. It’s impossible to be very communitarian about the economy and not about values. This is the problem, in my view, about this campaign.
Those values!

How did you end up using the jargon of Bernstein and his book if you ain't that fancy and don't read books then? (And you actually used it back to front)

Because I heard it somewhere years ago and the pretentious line in the article reminded me.

I'll just drop my nomination for Brexit facepalm of the year here if that's ok... :D

TnIOMkM.jpg

it's one of the commission seats, bottom right in the shaded area.
Ta. It was the name attached to it i meant though. It's prob there and i missed it. So a member of the thing farage was attacking didn't agree that he was shit and had never done a proper job in his life. If we could put a name to it (which is why i was checking) we may be able to fact-check.

To claim that the natural outcome of a group of people feeling disenfranchised is to run into the arms of the far right is nonsense.

If you feel you are not represented you can choose how to respond.

There is no excuse for racism. It is not a cry for help.

Apologists for racist behaviour are only one thing. The guy actually described himself when he talked about deep seated bigots.

1. That isn't what the article claims. It is not about people feeling disenfranchised; it is about them being disenfranchised. We live in a system of representative democracy, where there is little or no representation on offer for large sections of the multi-ethnic working class; as has been said many many times before, this creates a political vacuum which will be filled...hopefully from the left with politics that celebrates the necessarily inclusive solidarity, care and ambition of the working class, but if not then it will be divisive stories of race, nation or even a very singular and fearful me and mine.

2. It is naïve to think that any of us are really free to choose our political responses; we may have more or less choices available (which is much of the thrust of the piece) but to think we are not all of us circumscribed to some degree by the circumstances which have produced those choices, is akin to day dreaming.

3. I read the article as an attempted explanation not an excuse. I am also not willing to claim to understand every angry working class cross, so that I can assert with certainty that not one was a 'cry for help' even when articulated in terms of immigrants putting downward pressure on terms and conditions.

4. Again I read not an apology but an attempt to understand; not something written by a deep seated bigot, but by somebody trying to come to terms with a shock...I don't think he is entirely successful but he is having a go.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

(picking up on one of the points in the linked blog post)
One of the key problems with Eu immigrants being able to undercut local wages is the UK's adoption of the Swedish derogation to the agency workers directive which provides an exemption that allows companies to work through agencies to undercut local wages.

The problem with it being that it's an opt out that the UK chose to adopt, the EU didn't force it to, and the UK parliament has the ability to change this situation by itself by amending the UK legislation that put the directive into UK law.

But it's not done that.

2. As regards pay, Member States may, after consulting the social partners, provide that an exemption be made to the principle established in paragraph 1 where temporary agency workers who have a permanent contract of employment with a temporary-work agency continue to be paid in the time between assignments.

The EU wanted to put in place measures that would reduce the impact of free movement of labour on local pay and conditions, but the UK government implemented a loophole that meant that it the directive had minimal impact here.

I don't get why it is that the EU is blamed to the extent that we end up exiting the EU while the UK government who actually did this seem to have got off with minimal damage. I can only assume that it's because it was a Labour government that did it, and the tories and lib dems who kept it, so none of them could make a party political point out of it.

Back
Top Bottom