Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK Votes to Leave EU

Border controls and their points system. How else?
Not what i asked. I asked how a democratic mandate to do a particular thing can be enforced against the local and international state should they choose to ignore it? In our wonderful democracies of course (oh yeah, i hate the british civil service as well grrr).

Not what i asked. I asked how a democratic mandate to do a particular thing can be enforced against the local and international state should they choose to ignore it? In our wonderful democracies of course (oh yeah, i hate the british civil service as well grrr).

Erm, that isn't what you asked.

I said:

I don't see that the exit winners of the referendum on which massive numbers of people voted to stop inward EU immigration can accept the continued free flow of labour from the EU.

To which you responded:

How do you think they'll be able to exercise that choice?

That's exactly what i asked.

I didn't ask about what technical measures were required on the assumption that that democratic mandate would be followed through on. Which is how you replied.

Last edited:
Not only did they get shafted, but they know it.

And from the FT:

image1-2JPG.jpg
Appalling tosh. So voting to leave the EU is anti- intellectual?

What a disengeious pile of shit. Lost the right to live and work in 27 countries? Because no one from the UK lives and works in America or Australia, or other non-eu counties. And we have not swapped one distant elite for another, we have gone from 2 distant elites to just one. As for the working class suffering the most, well it's too early to know just how things will go, but I suspect that for most working class people life will go on pretty much the way it did before. So far the only people complaing about losing out is people worry about the value of their savings and stock portfolios.

You can't scare people about what they have already been experiencing for years. Unless you have little idea of how millions of people live today.

As Frankie Boyle wrote.
It is a rare politician who can see why you don't give a fuck about the Maastricht Treaty when your giro hasn't turned up!

The future now depends on the whims of the EU leadership, who may decide two general courses of action:

1) Punish the UK, properly shaft it, and hope that the fallout somehow benefits the Eurozone (it won't though)
2) Try to exercise some damage limitation by allowing the UK to continue some kind of special relationship with the EU by remaining in the EEA and therefore an active participant in several core components in EU policy (seems less likely to me, but surely what the UK leadership want, not that they'll have any say)

Is Tusk an angry man?

The future now depends on the whims of the EU leadership, who may decide two general courses of action:

1) Punish the UK, properly shaft it, and hope that the fallout somehow benefits the Eurozone (it won't though)
2) Try to exercise some damage limitation by allowing the UK to continue some kind of special relationship with the EU by remaining in the EEA and therefore an active participant in several core components in EU policy (seems less likely to me, but surely what the UK leadership want, not that they'll have any say)

Is Tusk an angry man?

They are dumb enough to try option (1), but the sums on both sides that are at risk are so large that sanity would prevail sooner rather than later and fair negotiations will take place. Also I think there is a realization over there that this is something that had to happen if the EU project was ever to move significantly forward - we were never going to be part of further political integration (at least at a serious level), nor were we ever likely to be part of the Euro.

I would be amazed if option (2) comes about unless there is a complete collapse of government here, there would be absolutely no point in leaving the EU just to join the EEA. I think if we do leave we will end up with a non-EEA trade deal that largely matches what we have now, except for no free movement of people but with a liberal work visa regime that is as close to free movement as our government can get away with.

Is Tusk an angry man?
Neither British nor European elites want this to happen. There are undoubtedly (theoretical) mechanisms to stop it - exit negotiations that go wrong, new offers, something being put to a general election etc. However the situational logic on either side means this almost certainly won't happen. Euro bods want it to happen fast to restore some kind of stability and can't hang around. Cameron's pissed off and won't do anything - and an incoming PM Johnson can hardly open the whole thing up again. Politicians are unprincipled enough to overturn the result, but in practice won't be able to. Given that the whole thing is likely, though not certain, to see Scotland leaving, calling the ref was an astonishing miscalculation by Cameron. It's not just his absolute disconnection from working class voters (and voters in general) its the lack of political touch. If Blair had been running an equally euro-divided tory party, he'd never have gone anywhere near offering a referendum. Along with Johnson's involvement in the process being nothing other than a piece of extended opportunism, the whole episode is about the stupidity of our leaders.

Back
Top Bottom