Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Tour Of France 2021

So, I reckon there's two stages remaining that will be a battle for Cav to make the timecut, 15 and 18. But he'll have the entire team at his disposal now, and let's face it he's done this before, so hopefully he'll make it to Paris.

BikeExchange lost Yates and Hamilton today. Perhaps they'll try harder to force Cavendish out? They have to try something, and their options are shrinking.

I think I posted my dream here the other day where the other sprinters don’t contest and led him win

To be fair, most of them have left the sport, chose a different grand tour/race schedule this year, or abandoned the race :oops:

Just to be controversial. Merckx was a beast and an all rounder that could win any type of race. On that basis does that make Cav’s achievement greater as he only has one weapon in his armoury?

Solely in terms of TdF stage wins I guess Cav's feat was greater as he won them all from the peloton (I think 12 of Merckx's TdF victories were prologues or ITTs) but this is the problem with the media and the "July fans" as no way can Cav and Merckx be compared overall. Yet if you pick up a newspaper this weekend you'd be led to believe they are on a par because of one particular stat.

Last edited:
So, I reckon there's two stages remaining that will be a battle for Cav to make the timecut, 15 and 18. But he'll have the entire team at his disposal now, and let's face it he's done this before, so hopefully he'll make it to Paris.

BikeExchange lost Yates and Hamilton today. Perhaps they'll try harder to force Cavendish out? They have to try something, and their options are shrinking.
Whist I wouldn't expect others to "allow" him to win a stage there is no reason they wouldn't help him finish within time. He is now well clear in green.

Prize money so far. Lol at Ineos.

#TEAMAMOUNT
1Deceuninck - Quick Step€ 91.550,-
2Alpecin-Fenix€ 59.900,-
3Bahrain - Victorious€ 49.740,-
4Team Jumbo-Visma€ 44.840,-
5UAE-Team Emirates€ 32.500,-
6Trek - Segafredo€ 29.400,-
7BORA - hansgrohe€ 28.480,-
8AG2R Citroën Team€ 24.880,-
9Team Arkéa Samsic€ 18.570,-
10Lotto Soudal€ 17.540,-
11Team BikeExchange€ 14.680,-
12Israel Start-Up Nation€ 13.410,-
13Astana - Premier Tech€ 13.040,-
14Movistar Team€ 12.530,-
15EF Education - Nippo€ 10.980,-
16Groupama - FDJ€ 10.680,-
17Cofidis, Solutions Crédits€ 7.190,-
18B&B Hotels p/b KTM€ 6.750,-
19Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux€ 5.420,-
20Team TotalEnergies€ 5.020,-
21Team DSM€ 4.810,-
22INEOS Grenadiers€ 4.710,-
23Team Qhubeka NextHash€ 4.680,-

Bit sad for Qhubeka mind you. Although I looked up Nexthash the other day, and it seemed like an er... odd pairing. The not-for-profit and the cryptocunts.

Like I said earlier, I'm going to be really nervous for him until he reaches Paris :eek: As we all know, so much can happen between now and then, especially for a non climber.

I'm more comfortable with the various manufacturers of panel products, plumbing, shampoo etc.
Yes we all need to buy more floorboards.

Actually I only found out the other day that it’s parent company - Mohawk Industries - is American

Can anyone explain why Decuennick Quick Step are abbreviated to DQT and not DQS, altho both seem to be used.

DQs common shorthand for disqualifications maybe? Or just doesn’t sound right in one or another language.

Can anyone explain why Decuennick Quick Step are abbreviated to DQT and not DQS, altho both seem to be used.

It'll change next year as Quickstep will be the solo headline sponsor and then again in 2023 when Soudal switch allegiance from Lotto.
Pretty confusing. Omega Pharma have also sponsored both teams in the past.

Pogacar's coach says nobody is making as much power as they did last year: Tour de France: Tadej Pogacar's coach hits back at doubters, says rivals have yet to push him | VeloNews.com

“It is frustrating people thinking that Tadej has been extra-galactical [extra-terrestrial] this year when he has never achieved the numbers he had last year,” Dr. San Millán said in a long conversation earlier this week. “He hasn’t achieved those numbers because he has never been challenged. So he’s going slower than last year; the reality is the rest have nothing. Absolutely nothing. They can’t even attack. Within one minute, you have six, seven riders who can’t even attack each other. It is very strange.”

“My humble opinion is that the pace of all the stage races, the majority of all of the one-week stage races this year, has been faster than the first week of the Tour de France,” Dr. San Millán said. “The Tour de France in fact has been one of the slowest first weeks, in comparison to the one-week stage races. And yet people are dead. That is the first thing. But the second thing is that people have made a lot of mistakes in their preparation at altitude training camps for the Tour. As they did already last year, like Ineos and Jumbo. Well, I would imagine that’s the case. Obviously Ineos messed up last year, like they did this year. And Jumbo didn’t work out last year, and it is not working this year either.”

I liked Pete Kennaugh's observation: "You have to choose which days you're going to go for it [in the break]... unless you're Alaphilippe."

Great win from Kuss, bet they’ll be celebrating in Durango CO. His home town.

Edit 1st win from an American for 10yrs

Last edited:
Cav managed to stick with the Yellow Jersey until Ineos and Movistar decided they were going to do... something... on Pas de la Case.

Do any UK/Irish World Tour riders not live in Andorra or Monaco? They said Martin does, and I'm pretty sure both Yates do. I think both Froome and Thomas live in Monaco. Does Cav live in either?

I think Kennaugh mentioned living in Nice during his career, which seems good for training without the tax-dodging connotations.

Back
Top Bottom