Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Food and drink exports of course never go to hospitality environments that have been closed for the first half of this year...
Yep, that's explicitly accepted in the source article explaining that both Brexit & Covid have impacted adversely on the numbers. What's not so easy for Brexit fans to explain away is the marked difference between the EU & non-EU data, given that the pandemic and its impacts have been global.

Yep, that's explicitly accepted in the source article explaining that both Brexit & Covid have impacted adversely on the numbers. What's not so easy for Brexit fans to explain away is the marked difference between the EU & non-EU data, given that the pandemic and its impacts have been global.
I'm trying to find some sort of equivalent figures to see how food imported into the UK from the EU has changed in a similar period, but most of the focus appears to be on how exports are down.

The best I can come up with so far is this from Dec 2020

How dependent is the UK on the EU for food?

This seems to ignore the financial cost of imports, and focus instead on the possibility of food shortages, so if anyone has any figures relating to the change in value of EU food imports to the UK, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Again, balance of payments isn't the only thing we should look at, but if it turns out that imports have gone down in value by a similar amount to exports, that would help put the fall in export figures into some sort of context.

I'm trying to find some sort of equivalent figures to see how food imported into the UK from the EU has changed in a similar period, but most of the focus appears to be on how exports are down.

The best I can come up with so far is this from Dec 2020

How dependent is the UK on the EU for food?

This seems to ignore the financial cost of imports, and focus instead on the possibility of food shortages, so if anyone has any figures relating to the change in value of EU food imports to the UK, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Again, balance of payments isn't the only thing we should look at, but if it turns out that imports have gone down in value by a similar amount to exports, that would help put the fall in export figures into some sort of context.
I know when I looked into dairy, we ended up a net exporter off the back of a fall in imports

Reading that article, it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that these proposals are motivated by a combination of protectionism and spite on the part of whoever in the EU has come up with them.

They're also based on the questionable idea that "European" means "part of the EU".

But there may at least be some positive consequences for us in Britain if the proposals do go ahead

Industry figures said a move to define UK content as something other than European, leading to a loss of market share, would particularly hit British drama, as the pre-sale of international rights to shows such as Downton Abbey and The Crown has often been the basis on which they have been able to go into production.

Last edited:
Spiteful act of self-harm which will damage the subtitle and dubbing industries within the EU. Probably led by France who are protective other their language being corrupted by Anglophone influences

Grumpy contrarian post incoming
Reading that article, it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that these proposals are motivated by a combination of protectionism and spite.

They're also based on the questionable idea that "European" means "part of the EU".

But there may at least be some positive consequences for us in Britain if the proposals do go ahead
i took you to be pro-protectionism?

personally anything that helps diminish the british period drama / top gear industry is welcome - anglophone media in general tbh - soft power is another word for propaganda really.
according to this link analysts "crowned the UK as the world’s leading soft power in 2018"

again from the link the point of such power is for the UK to be seen "as open and welcoming, with a free and fair justice system and world-leading arts and culture, and with a government that treats everyone in the country fairly, contributes its fair share to aid, works constructively with others around the world." so painting rosy pictures over the much grimmer reality is basically the point of it

British TV, especially bbc output, is increasingly small c and big C conservative, un-innovative, twee, pap. The fact it sells so well is pretty depressing. The myth of it being stuff like Python (mentioned in that British Council link) is 40 years out of date

anyway i expect this story is being over-egged - as the article says at present the UK is still considered part of Europe, even if those dastardly french people take over the presidency next year. Will they ditch other European non-EU content too?
Spiteful act of self-harm which will damage the subtitle and dubbing industries within the EU. Probably led by France who are protective other their language being corrupted by Anglophone influences
other languages media shown in foreign countries still needs subtitling no?

Could have gone in polling thread, but hey ho...those of you with a dog in this fight can fill yer boots here:

Reclaiming nos TV, airwaves, le Netfix etc.....

Grumpy contrarian post incoming

i took you to be pro-protectionism?

personally anything that helps diminish the british period drama / top gear industry is welcome - anglophone media in general tbh - soft power is another word for propaganda really.
according to this link analysts "crowned the UK as the world’s leading soft power in 2018"

again from the link the point of such power is for the UK to be seen "as open and welcoming, with a free and fair justice system and world-leading arts and culture, and with a government that treats everyone in the country fairly, contributes its fair share to aid, works constructively with others around the world." so painting rosy pictures over the much grimmer reality is basically the point of it

British TV, especially bbc output, is increasingly small c and big C conservative, un-innovative, twee, pap. The fact it sells so well is pretty depressing. The myth of it being stuff like Python (mentioned in that British Council link) is 40 years out of date

anyway i expect this story is being over-egged - as the article says at present the UK is still considered part of Europe, even if those dastardly french people take over the presidency next year. Will they ditch other European non-EU content too?

I'm certainly not pro protectionism in all circumstances.

I just thought it was a little ironic that someone who was and continues to be pro remain and pro EU, would choose to highlight this proposal which doesn't really support the idea that absolutely everything is the fault of those stupid xenophobic anti-creative Brexit voters.

Afaict, it's a story about someone in Brussels being asked to write a report about something the EU doesn't actually have powers to do anything about (because the relevant rules fall under the Council of Europe, which the UK is still a member of), and which would probably just end up hurting EU broadcasters if they did.

So apart from right wingers, most people think it's been a fucking disaster.
Not really "most", but of those expressing a response either way, it's 38% badly : 25% well.

But with 38% meh or D/K it's quite difficult to make too much of the numbers.

Not really "most", but of those expressing a response either way, it's 38% badly : 25% well.

But with 38% meh or D/K it's quite difficult to make too much of the numbers.
Only a quarter of the public think it's gone well.
68% of Labour voters and 71% of LD voters think it's gone fairly badly or very badly.
Only 11% of Tories think it's gone really well.

Anyway - poll here The big urban poll: Do you think Brexit has gone well or badly?

No not most. You are extrapolating too hard and throwing shit like right wingers about. Try harder.
Oh, the denial. The only people who think it's gone 'really well' are Tories.

With only 25% of the public thinking it's gone well, it's quite correct to conclude that 'most' people don't think its gone well at all.

Only a quarter of the public think it's gone well.
68% of Labour voters and 71% of LD voters think it's gone fairly badly or very badly.
Only 11% of Tories think it's gone really well.

Anyway - poll here The big urban poll: Do you think Brexit has gone well or badly?
Yes, but that "71% of LD voters" in the 2 'badly' categories equates very closely to the roughly 5% of the (GE 2019) electorate that are the Tory voters who think it's gone very well.

What an odd question. Well compared to what? Which bits?
It is a slightly odd question. Lots of it appears to have gone quite badly, and a fair bit to have gone very badly indeed, though it's a little too early to know how things will work out in the long run.

But it's worth remembering that people voting that Brexit has gone badly in the last six months doesn't equate to people thinking that Brexit was a bad idea all round and they wish they'd never voted for it.

It is a slightly odd question. Lots of it appears to have gone quite badly, and a fair bit to have gone very badly indeed, though it's a little too early to know how things will work out in the long run.

But it's worth remembering that people voting that Brexit has gone badly in the last six months doesn't equate to people thinking that Brexit was a bad idea all round and they wish they'd never voted for it.
Yes. Or vice versa. Some of us are a little tickled that wages have gone up and we aren't treating Romanians like our slaves anymore. Especially because it probably pisses the Tories off. But on the other hand it depends what you thought Brexit was in the first place. And the bad stuff has been masked by Covid. So who knows whether it's 'gone well.'

Mixed so far. It's going to take a good ten years to settle isn't it, and even then the overall economic effects may be hard to tell. Some industries hit hard, others growing. Wages rising in some sectors, but that might be balanced out by loss of higher-paying jobs in other sectors (i.e. hospitality might pay more but if you only take that job because your higher-paying job in a hi-tech factory went then it won't seem like much of a victory).

It also depends significantly on what the new trade deals look like, and they are unlikely to be positive for most people. Anyone who thinks the Tories who wanted Brexit wanted it because they wanted more restrictive trade is in fantasy land. People who want to make it all about the victory of the working class forget that the ruling class was also quite split on this, and that was partly because some of them sniffed the possibility of trade deals that would benefit them more than EU trade deals. That process is going to be a while rolling out. There will be some resistance to shit trade deals but often people don't realise how bad they are until they get hit a couple of years down the line after the deal is done. I'm not optimistic that there will be much immediate resistance, though perhaps further down the line.

Nothing is going to settle down until the land border between the EU and the UK voted for by brexiters and fucking lexiters is sorted.
Settling down implies to me a peaceful co existence according to the international treaties.
No hope of that, but the notion that it will take a decade (or more?) to settle is straight out of the Rees Mogg ‘can down the road’ playbook.

Last edited:

Just to come back to this, it does appear that the original article and the post linking to it are pretty much uncritical of the way in which the British film and TV industry has increasingly become a way for the projection of soft power, largely nostalgia for the days when the aristocracy was still in charge and the rest of us knew our place.

I wasn't sure if the British Council was still going - maybe struggling creatives could apply to them for financial assistance in projecting a bit more of that soft power around Europe and elsewhere.

No mention that in the UK one has to pay oneself all the costs of becoming an HGV driver and when qualified being grateful to barely make minimum wage.

They could of course pay drivers to train then pay enough to retain them but this would lessen profits so can’t happen.

No mention that in the UK one has to pay oneself all the costs of becoming an HGV driver and when qualified being grateful to barely make minimum wage.

They could of course pay drivers to train then pay enough to retain them but this would lessen profits so can’t happen.

The world was a much better place when truckers were Romanian and lived out of the back of their trailers for months on end, a workers' paradise that.

Back
Top Bottom