Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2021/22

Great for Bairstow, at last a batsman actually did what they get paid for. Even if it was his first test century for over 3 years, and in 39 innings in 21 tests.

But we were still 36/4. Nothing has really changed has it. Bairstow was chanceless (something you'll never, ever say about a Burns innings). But Stokes rode his luck and it could easily have been yet another 150 all out. Or less. I hope nobody is getting carried away because our fast bowler hit a quick 39. After taking one wicket in Australia's innings.

Celebrate good times, come on. Still 160 behind with 3 wickets left and reliant on the forecast rain to salvage a draw and no 5-0 drubbing. Whoopee.

And the result of all that? Probably Buttler goes. Bairstow becomes wicket keeper. Never scores another hundred. And Foakes remains sitting on his arse doing nothing.

The shambles continues. But well done Johnny. This time.

Incidentally. The last time Bairstow scored a ton, against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka, he was also not the keeper. Buttler played in that game. And he was also not the keeper.

Foakes was.

And England won.

Watched the highlights earlier. Some comments about a few performances

I thought Crawley went about his attacking game the right way, but his defense is flawed. Should have gone on really. If only he he could play the new ball better down there.

Buttlers time is up, his return to red ball hasn't worked. Time to put that to bed

Bairstow showed what is needed in terms of fight and attack. I really enjoyed watching him and stokes. Still has his frailties but coming into a losing team and playing like that shows a bit of grit

Root. My personal opinion is he has already decided to quit as captain. His head is gone. Might not be immediately, but in the future I think it will come out that he knew the time was right before this tour, at least during

Crawley looked hopeless at times. Dropped off the no ball yesterday wasn't he? Dropped at short leg today. He's not an opener. He did get a decent ball to get out though.

Hameed should not be getting out bowled middle stump. Didn't look good.

When I was a kid my brother took me to see Sussex at Lords against Middlesex. In the afternoon session Sussex went 11 overs without scoring. England beat that today. They got really bogged down. Bairstow and Stokes deserve credit for getting through that. Because Root didn't. Terrible shot. played because they hadn't scored for about 4 overs at that stage. 4 overs. So what? The game lasts 5 days. I agree Root's head is gone.

Yeah, I agree about Crawley, he's hopeless in defence. When he attacks though he has great shots. Sadly that's not enough for test cricket.

And yeah, Hameeds wicket looked awful. It's one thing not leaving and nicking off to a wide or short one but then playing such an attacking shot instead of trying to get a defensive shot in is a huge mistake (I think I've remembered that right, or was it Crawley playing a huge drive to a ball on the stumps? Either way.. Both shockers)

Great for Bairstow, at last a batsman actually did what they get paid for. Even if it was his first test century for over 3 years, and in 39 innings in 21 tests.

But we were still 36/4. Nothing has really changed has it. Bairstow was chanceless (something you'll never, ever say about a Burns innings). But Stokes rode his luck and it could easily have been yet another 150 all out. Or less. I hope nobody is getting carried away because our fast bowler hit a quick 39. After taking one wicket in Australia's innings.

Celebrate good times, come on. Still 160 behind with 3 wickets left and reliant on the forecast rain to salvage a draw and no 5-0 drubbing. Whoopee.

And the result of all that? Probably Buttler goes. Bairstow becomes wicket keeper. Never scores another hundred. And Foakes remains sitting on his arse doing nothing.

The shambles continues. But well done Johnny. This time.

Buttler is in line to take over as ODI captain IIRC. In which case, probably better if he decides to step down from test cricket. He's not particularly young and if he wants a few more good years doing what he's best at then he should focus on that.

Buttler is in line to take over as ODI captain IIRC. In which case, probably better if he decides to step down from test cricket. He's not particularly young and if he wants a few more good years doing what he's best at then he should focus on that.
I doubt you could get good odds on that not happening. "Buttler announces retirement from test cricket" is imminent I feel

Yeah, I agree about Crawley, he's hopeless in defence. When he attacks though he has great shots. Sadly that's not enough for test cricket.

And yeah, Hameeds wicket looked awful. It's one thing not leaving and nicking off to a wide or short one but then playing such an attacking shot instead of trying to get a defensive shot in is a huge mistake (I think I've remembered that right, or was it Crawley playing a huge drive to a ball on the stumps? Either way.. Both shockers)

They were both driving but Crawley's moved considerably off the seam. But then he was 'out' twice (dropped by the keeper to a ball that was going directly into Warner's hands) before he even got that far. He might be a number 3. But Malan has that (for now).

And what about that ball that 'bowled' Stokes? It didn't flick the stumps. It considerably banged into off stump. The bails didn't even jump. That was bad and needs looking at.

They were both driving but Crawley's moved considerably off the seam. But then he was 'out' twice (dropped by the keeper to a ball that was going directly into Warner's hands) before he even got that far. He might be a number 3. But Malan has that (for now).

And what about that ball that 'bowled' Stokes? It didn't flick the stumps. It considerably banged into off stump. The bails didn't even jump. That was bad and needs looking at.
Yes, that was a really odd thing. The highlights showed a close up of someone flicking their finger on the stump and both that and the bail not moving at all

Bairstow gone. Both Leach and Broad swinging for the hills. Shame that Bairstow ended up perishing trying to manufacture a single to keep the strike. Slightly odd morning so far.

Everyone out. New ball in an over.

Hope Australia come out and take a T20 approach to batting, they're still 122 ahead. Run through their order and set 300 as a score and have England back in by the evening session.

The bails are there to show that the ball's hit the stumps, aren't they? Usually do their job but not always. Perhaps it's time to change the law so that the rule is simply that the ball hits the stumps.

That was a weird one, though. The usual thing is the ball hitting right at the base of a stump and the bails staying put. Seen that a few times.

Everyone out. New ball in an over.

Hope Australia come out and take a T20 approach to batting, they're still 122 ahead. Run through their order and set 300 as a score and have England back in by the evening session.
Give it 20 overs or so, I'd have thought. Not hanging around, but just making sure they don't collapse in a heap. India lost a test last year in Aus by being skittled after taking a first innings lead.

The bails are there to show that the ball's hit the stumps, aren't they? Usually do their job but not always. Perhaps it's time to change the law so that the rule is simply that the ball hits the stumps.

Nah. The law is that a bail has to be completely removed from the stumps. If that doesn't happen, the stumps being hit is immaterial. As you say, it happens reasonably frequently but usually off the bat and quite gently. Stokes' one yesterday was a freak; who's ever seen that before?

No need to change anything.

Nah. The law is that a bail has to be completely removed from the stumps. If that doesn't happen, the stumps being hit is immaterial. As you say, it happens reasonably frequently but usually off the bat and quite gently. Stokes' one yesterday was a freak; who's ever seen that before?

No need to change anything.
Tell you what I have seen and that's a bail jump right up into the air only to land back in place! That's just pure luck.

In the time of slo-mo replays, the current set up feels a tad anachronistic.

It's not a biggie, though.

Lolz, they're just shown Bairstow's departure after his 115 or whatever it was. You would have thought he'd just scored 400, saluting the crowd in all corners. Even Lara didn't manage quite such a departure. The egos on these dickheads. Sorry, but even Warner wouldn't do that. It's a century, wow.

Fascinated by England managing to string together a few overs of good stuff but then Root going defensive fielding and Aussie just running away with the day.

Khawaja really making this test about his absence from the team. Centuries in both innings and looking absolutely unbothered.

Lolz, they're just shown Bairstow's departure after his 115 or whatever it was. You would have thought he'd just scored 400, saluting the crowd in all corners. Even Lara didn't manage quite such a departure. The egos on these dickheads. Sorry, but even Warner wouldn't do that. It's a century, wow.

You need to watch that again. Bairstow was receiving a well earned standing ovation from most of the ground. He was acknowledging that in an understated way by raising his bat to the applause. I re- watched to check and there was not the display of ego you described. It’s a bit weird you thought that tbh.

I'm still not really sure how much I like cricket... I have become addicted to Test Match Special though.. Is there some substitute for when the Ashes aren't on?

Back
Top Bottom