Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2021/22

For me, Jonny Bairstow is emblematic of the problem. He was a very good test batter, averaging over 40. He's gone from that to someone who barely averages 30. And we can all see why. In that same time, he's become one of the best 50-over batters in the world.

Now why did he fail to manage to be both a highly successful 50-over batter and a very good test batter at the same time? Others manage both. Why not Bairstow?

Is it a question of the advice he was given, the time he devoted to thinking about both forms of the game? Are there systemic or cultural problems here? I don't know, but listening to Ross Taylor the other day when he announced his retirement, he was most proud of the way he had curbed his white-ball game in order to succeed in the red-ball game. For whatever reason, Bairstow singularly failed to maintain his red ball game while expanding his white ball game. The one came at the expense of the other, and that whole thing seems to be writ large over the whole of English cricket. New Zealand, with only a tiny fraction of the resources both in terms of money and player pool, has managed to be good at both, to improve at both, and with the same core of batters (all averaging over 40 in test cricket) - Williamson, Taylor, Latham and Nicholls - in both the test and 50-over sides.

It's not shameless arse covering when it's the truth.

The dressing room is a shit show regardless.

It’s a shockingly selfish comment. He’s playing the media by shirking responsibility. In times of trouble leaders should be protective of their team. Thorpe is feeding the press some meat in an attempt to avoid blame himself.

All very UKIP.

The alleged debate within the camp of playing either Broad or Leach is alarming. Both should have played by dropping Woakes. Chris's probable 15 extra runs he provides over Broad is not compensation for Malfoy's terrorism of Australia's left-handers. The real world advantage of Broad and the psychological pressure it creates for key opposition players is a desperately needed asset. By not picking Broad resulted in having no option but to bat on a comedy green seamer under heavy cloud after winning toss. This surrendered the series before a ball had been bowled.

If Root and Silverwood wanted to pull the trick of winding Broad up so he has super human performance later in the series then they're fools. Whatever anger Broad feels is likely to be met with equal levels of misery which would likely inhibit the desired spark.

It didn’t take Mystic Meg to foresee the result of Silverwood and Root’s selection shitshow.

I'm reluctant to talk about the bowlers when it's the batters who are the problem, but Stuart Broad has had a poor year. He was out bowled by Robinson in our summer. He himself was given his chance through a ruthless decision to axe Hoggard. I'm not sure ending his career aged 35 after 150 tests counts as premature. He doesn't have a right to a place.

I'm reluctant to talk about the bowlers when it's the batters who are the problem, but Stuart Broad has had a poor year. He was out bowled by Robinson in our summer. He himself was given his chance through a ruthless decision to axe Hoggard. I'm not sure ending his career aged 35 after 150 tests counts as premature. He doesn't have a right to a place.

He doesn’t have a right to a place…apart from when there’s a glut of Australian left-handers, including David Warner and a green deck.

Silverwood and Root’s decision will be referenced for years to come.

“I feel as good as I ever have though and so I don’t look into stats too much. I will certainly look to be a bit more confident and back myself because I know full well I can score a hundred here this week and that’s what I’m looking to do.”

:hmm:

On the BEEB, Grahame Thorpe described Ben Stokes and Stuart Broad as 'caged tigers'.

Sound mate, but Joe Exotic has just walked into said cage holding a shotgun.

Broad still pretty full, angling in to Harris from around the wicket. There’s no lateral movement on offer though, so by the time Broad refines his line to tempt Harris into a stroke, he’s too straight and it’s an easy nudge into the on-side for a couple of runs. Broad is undeterred and he does find a skerrick of wobble away from the bat and, for the first time today, there’s a genuine play-and-miss that beats an outside edge.

Is what I think :)

Broad hasn't bowled a ball at Warner yet has he? Anderson needs to keep Harris up that end now

Glorious swivel pull from Harris to despatch Broad through midwicket for four after the England bowler dropped short to begin the over.

Glorious swivel pull from Harris to despatch Broad through midwicket for four after the England bowler dropped short to begin the over.
Bless him, I don't think Stuart quite has the wheels for that delivery any more. Think you're right that his wobble seamers have been his best deliveries.

Anderson gets too straight though and concedes a couple of easy runs. Harris demonstrated his ability to shrug off the previous ball during his match-winning knock at the MCG and he is back in that groove today. :(

Back
Top Bottom