Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2021/22

It tells us that they were able to negotiate better terms of employment than idiots who would have just sucked it up and not seen their families for months on end.

Not much more.
Yes, and that they see it in those terms is part of the problem.

Yes, and that they see it in those terms is part of the problem.
I think we are allowed to limit our sympathy somewhat for people who are paid upwards of 500k a year to play sport, but I give them credit for negotiating better terms, particularly in a sport in which, only 40 odd years ago, players were treated (and paid) very badly and expected to be grateful.

You've got to draw a line somewhere particularly where you have a board that is intent on squeezing ever more out of you in the name of revenue.

I think we are allowed to limit our sympathy somewhat for people who are paid upwards of 500k a year to play sport, but I give them credit for negotiating better terms, particularly in a sport in which, only 40 odd years ago, players were treated (and paid) very badly and expected to be grateful.
Of course people are going to try to get what they can. But it's those who'd have walked away that I take particular issue with. You can't tell me that stance isn't indicative of their lack of hunger.

How long they away for? About the length of time a kid goes away to uni for the first term? Grown men who have the privilege of playing their chosen sport at the very highest level (and being paid sums most could only dream of), not willing to spend 13 weeks or so away, in the age of Zoom etc., at a time when everyone is having to make sacrifices because of covid.

Last edited:
Apart from Stokes, has any current England player been over to Australia for their domestic season ? Aussies have come over to England for years to play English domestic cricket , surely it would be a plus if English players played more over there ?
Root has played grade cricket I think. Possibly others as well. As I said upthread it used to be common for young English players to play grade cricket (unpaid, or expenses only).

It's exceedingly rare for any foreigners to play in the Sheffield shield though. Aus players come here for experience yes, but also to earn money. The Aus system doesn't provide the same opportunities to make money playing red ball cricket. Only England offers that tbh. Not so long ago, England was the only country with fully professional non-internationals.

Apart from Stokes, has any current England player been over to Australia for their domestic season ? Aussies have come over to England for years to play English domestic cricket , surely it would be a plus if English players played more over there ?
Quite a lot of English players used to go over and play grade cricket, which at the top level is a pretty high standard. Not many played Sheffield Shield cricket (Vic Marks played for WA but that is going back a long way). Some used to play in the first class tournaments in NZ and SA.

Mason Crane played for New South Wales once in 2017, but he was the first overseas player to play for them since Imran Khan in 1984.

I was watching the SA - India game the other day. One of the commentators mentioned the Kookaburra ball has been completely rejigged this year for that series and the Ashes which flew under my radar. Apparently it's been in development for 3 years but they only launched it for the first test in the Ashes. Lasts a lot longer due to a second layer of something or other under the leather, to provide bowlers with a bit more advantage. That's actually quite a big change.

So, Graham Thorpe, England batting coach, blames batters for poor technique. What an absolute shit show. This is a legendary bad tour. Books will be written and I'm looking forward to reading them.

Michael Atherton has called for England to replace Joe Root as Test captain.

Root’s position as England’s Test skipper has been questioned after another Ashes series defeat in Australia. The Yorkshire batter was in charge when England fell to a 4-0 loss in the 2017/18 Ashes and finds his side currently 3-0 down with two matches still left to play.

Writing in the The Times, Atherton, who captained England in 54 Tests from 1993 to 2001, criticised Root’s performance as captain during the ongoing Ashes series, arguing that “this could have been a much closer series had Root got things right on the field”.

“Joe Root has [ECB chief executive Tom] Harrison’s backing and the ECB will try to persuade Root to carry on after Sydney,” Atherton said. “They shouldn’t. Root has been a good England captain, and has always carried himself superbly and is an incredible ambassador for the sport, but having done the job for five years and having had three cracks at the Ashes, including two awful campaigns in Australia, it is time for someone else to have a go.

“There have been so many errors here, from selection to strategy, that the captain has to bear personal responsibility. For all the discussion around systemic change, this could have been a much closer series had Root got things right on the field. These errors have made a good Australian side look much better than they are.”

From the ever decreasing circle of covid cases around the team, will be a miracle if this series survives, and whatever the repercussions after the series, covid has ruined this Ashes series.

From the ever decreasing circle of covid cases around the team, will be a miracle if this series survives, and whatever the repercussions after the series, covid has ruined this Ashes series.

I think England's playing has ruined this Ashes series.

And packing it in now, because of Covid, would be the very worst thing to do...

"Brave Sir Joe Root ran away.

Bravely ran away away.
("I didn't!")

When danger reared it's ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
("I never!")

Yes, brave Sir Root turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
("You're lying!")

Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat."

So, Graham Thorpe, England batting coach, blames batters for poor technique.

Well he would know best wouldn't he? Being the batting coach. What's he supposed to do with someone like Burns who doesn't have flaws as much as a whole technique which is flawed? And the rest do have flaws (with the obvious exception) that he can't iron out in a day. And it is the batting that has ruined things for England.

I know Thorpe is a cunt in his personal life but he was a bloody good, correct, batsman and I reckon he knows his stuff.

from the guardian

‘No fear’: England’s Zak Crawley backs himself to score century in fourth Test​

• Batter says there is ‘no need’ to worry about Australia’s attack
  • Crawley confident despite Test average of 10 in 2021

Well he would know best wouldn't he? Being the batting coach. What's he supposed to do with someone like Burns who doesn't have flaws as much as a whole technique which is flawed? And the rest do have flaws (with the obvious exception) that he can't iron out in a day. And it is the batting that has ruined things for England.

I know Thorpe is a cunt in his personal life but he was a bloody good, correct, batsman and I reckon he knows his stuff.

Thorpe has been around the side for a long time and has been the batting coach i.e. the person responsible for developing England’s batting for years. The point it he is shifting blame, when it was literally his job to sort this out.

Thorpe has been around the side for a long time and has been the batting coach i.e. the person responsible for developing England’s batting for years. The point it he is shifting blame, when it was literally his job to sort this out.

Years is just over 2 years. And he can only work with what he is given. We are picking the best from the available crop but they are not good enough. Thorpe has no real say over selection. We keep picking Burns because he had one good season on hard pitches at Surrey and no-one else any better has come along. And Burns is never a Test player, his technique will always be laughed at by people like the Aussies. Thorpe can't fix that.

Picking on people like Thorpe to fix the whole job is the same as what is wrong with thinking individual management errors are to blame for this thrashing. They aren't. They could only have slightly improved the thrashing, and maybe masked the real wrongs further. It's the systemic failure that needs addressing. The grab for white ball money above everything. Cricket being removed from terrestrial TV. The format of the CC. Thorpe can't sort that out.

Years is just over 2 years. And he can only work with what he is given. We are picking the best from the available crop but they are not good enough. Thorpe has no real say over selection. We keep picking Burns because he had one good season on hard pitches at Surrey and no-one else any better has come along. And Burns is never a Test player, his technique will always be laughed at by people like the Aussies. Thorpe can't fix that.

Picking on people like Thorpe to fix the whole job is the same as what is wrong with thinking individual management errors are to blame for this thrashing. They aren't. They could only have slightly improved the thrashing, and maybe masked the real wrongs further. It's the systemic failure that needs addressing. The grab for white ball money above everything. Cricket being removed from terrestrial TV. The format of the CC. Thorpe can't sort that out.

You’re missing the point. Re-read my post.

Spoiler: Thorpe openly blaming batters for their technique is clearly shameless arse covering and shines a light on the toxic dressing room where its its currently every man for himself. I.e. a shit show.

It's not shameless arse covering when it's the truth.

The dressing room is a shit show regardless.

Back
Top Bottom