Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Analysis confirming that the Tories have lost rather than Labour winning

Sir John Curtice: The dramatic Tory decline behind Labour's landslide

Labour are heading towards a landslide victory, winning previously safe Tory seats across the country. Their gains are largely on the back of a dramatic decline of 21 points in Conservative support. On the basis of the results declared so far, it is possible that Labour will secure its landslide on a lower share of the vote than any of Tony Blair's victories, including the 36% the party won in 2005. That itself was hitherto the lowest share of the vote won by a majority single party government. In many ways, this looks more like an election the Conservatives have lost than one Labour have won.

It definitely is not the sort of win Labour got in 97. Then 43.2% of the vote, 30.8% of the electorate, not going to be anything like that this time around.

It will be interesting to see if there's loads of people out on Whitehall this morning, I mean when Blair got in I worked in the area and there were empty bottles all over the road where people had been out celebrating and the streets were packed for his journey to Downing Street.
Whatever sort of shit Blair was, that was the celebration when Labour won that election. I wonder whether anyone will be that bothered this time.

There’s a lot of talk about the impact of Reform on the Tories, but much less about the high quantity of seats in the South of England that they lost to the LibDems. Places they’ve held for over 100 years. The Tories have lost much of Toryshire, and it’s pretty much for the opposite reason than the dominant narrative about why they’ve lost in other areas.

There’s a lot of talk about the impact of Reform on the Tories, but much less about the high quantity of seats in the South of England that they lost to the LibDems. Places they’ve held for over 100 years. The Tories have lost Toryshire, and it’s pretty much for the opposite reason than the dominant narrative about why they’ve lost in other areas.

i've been following Bloomberg and they have a crude map that shows this. the LDs did well across the southern tier, the rightwingers on the east coast.

Back
Top Bottom