Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

There were rumours of him staying on for 6 months to put a new leader in place, etc, so maybe slightly surprising?
I didn't even realise that was allowed, it's usually handover the next day after a visit to Buck Palace isn't it?
Only time it takes longer is if it's hung and people are scrambling for a coalition.
If it is a landslide for one party it would be at the very least unseemly for the residing PM to delay - this isn't the US where handover takes place months later.

I didn't even realise that was allowed, it's usually handover the next day after a visit to Buck Palace isn't it?
Only time it takes longer is if it's hung and people are scrambling for a coalition.
If it is a landslide for one party it would be at the very least unseemly for the residing PM to delay - this isn't the US where handover takes place months later.
Staying as leader not PM

Michael Howard stayed on as leader for 6 months after a landslide.

Obviously the PM changed the next day, but MH stayed leader of the Conservatives until they could regroup, decide on a new leader etc.

Back
Top Bottom