Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Thinking about it, I did watch the game last night with someone who was wearing a Fulham shirt over the top of a Serbia shirt, for reasons that remain somewhat baffling to me, but presumably involved wanting at least the option of being able to dramatically metamorphose into a Serbia fan mid-game. Say what you like about Starmer, but it would certainly have been a dramatic power move if, halfway through the game, he'd suddenly ripped his top off and been wearing a Serbia shirt underneath. Perhaps this was his plan for if they were in the lead, who can say?

Still absolutely nothing here through the door in Cardiff West. Contrary to previous election years, no Labour and Plaid placards around either. Shows what happens when a/ Labour impose a candidate alienating even the handful of CLP activists left and b/ years of petty infighting have done for Plaid volunteers. The only two placards I've seen up are for McEvoy and his Propel outfit, which I'm surprised to see is still going.

Have spotted a couple of Labour placards up in the really big houses in Whitchurch, part of the neighbouring Cardiff North constituency.

Labour will walk it, but it won't be due to any local enthusiasm.

Couple of interesting tables from Best for Britain, who are promoting tactical voting to take the Tories out as much as possible.

1718626444032.png

Lots of fun there, but with tactical voting, even more fun could be delivered!

1718626565512.png

I just hope the message gets across, because it would make my year to see those four toppled. :D

They have a searchable list of tactical voting recommendations -

Couple of interesting tables from Best for Britain, who are promoting tactical voting to take the Tories out as much as possible.

View attachment 429363

Lots of fun there, but with tactical voting, even more fun could be delivered!

View attachment 429364

I just hope the message gets across, because it would make my year to see those four toppled. :D

They have a searchable list of tactical voting recommendations -

Jenrick deserves to lose a lot more than his seat. I guess he will be my Portillo moment.

Should be enshrined in legislation before anyone even gets round to debating it as something in a party’s gift.

it's ok. someone you aren't too keen on having a shared interest with you doesn't in any way reflect badly on yourself by association.
so it's fine to admit that Starmer does like football. is a long time Arsenal fan, plays 5 a side, etc, etc. just like huge swathe of the country does. no need to pretend this is some outrageous lie.

This is the problem with some on the left isn’t it. There can’t be any shades of grey. If you are the kind of person who hilariously refers to ‘Shammer’ or similar it is impossible to acknowledge that everything they do isn’t pure evil.

(I remember the milk we had at school and given it was usually warm and possibly out of date, I wish it had been banned)
I've always hated milk but loved school milk. Maybe I need to let it go off slightly. I can still remember the taste (and I only had it in first year infants).

This is the problem with some on the left isn’t it. There can’t be any shades of grey. If you are the kind of person who hilariously refers to ‘Shammer’ or similar it is impossible to acknowledge that everything they do isn’t pure evil.
It's a problem across the political spectrum surely , not the sole preserve of what ever you think the left is .

I think this is a good idea. Members have proven time and time again to be ill equip to choose a leader when the party is in power. I'd also go further and add that a change of leader in power means an automatic general election unless one was held within the previous 12 months.
I don't think it goes far enough really, allowing voters to choose MPs is the real problem that needs to be addressed here.

I think this is a good idea. Members have proven time and time again to be ill equip to choose a leader when the party is in power. I'd also go further and add that a change of leader in power means an automatic general election unless one was held within the previous 12 months.
you really dont understand how parliamentary democracy is supposed to work, do you? The clue is in the name.

You're absolutely right. We must remove all voting power from the people, before they ruin democracy completely.

I would disagree with the BiB, the chances of a party removing a leader would be massively reduced if they had to call a GE, under that system, Johnson would probably still be PM. :bigeyes:

Have they? Even if we put aside questions of democracy and accountability, I think you need to demonstrate this rather than simply assert it.

So let's have some specific examples of when Labour party members have proven themselves ill equipped to choose a new leader when the party is in power.

Back
Top Bottom