Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

:D

Yeah, long before I moved here.

The place has seriously changed, no sign of fascists here now, we had the first Labour councillor elected 3 or 4 years ago, in 41 years, we now have 10 on the borough council.

I know. I bumped into Jim Dean on line recently and congratulated him on the transformation. When I was there the closest we got to a Labour councillor was Jim in the wake of the poll tax, and we were still light by about 100 votes in Seldon ward...happy days.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Johnson may as well keep on lying. He's allowed to and Labour aren't. The thing is, not that you can trust him anyway, what does he offer? A warm fuzzy re-assurance (all a big Bullingdon con) vs honesty and concrete practical help and solutions. Everyone must see what they are doing to the country and its institutions, more of the same is just plain daft.

I think Corbyn could probably be a bit more combative in terms of making it personal. He has clearly called Johnson the liar that he is, to his credit. But Johnson is a fairly wide target for this stuff. There is not much to laugh about when it comes down to it so i don't know. But maybe for example, 'Boris lies so much; he even believes he is a great leader up there with Churchill when he can't even brave Yorkshire or Glastonbury without being driven out and howled down', and so on. That kind of line. Open goals aplenty I reckon for this vain con artist

Obviously the openreach network should be renationalised. All the substantial infrastructure work & investment was back when it was publicly owned, it's our fucking network, all post privatisation infrastructure investment has been patchy as fuck and commercially driven. Which is why almost every household still gets its fixed line services down a copper cable from a street cabinet and why people living in rural underpopulated places get half a MBPS if they are lucky.

See also the railway network.

Obviously the openreach network should be renationalised. All the substantial infrastructure work & investment was back when it was publicly owned, it's our fucking network, all post privatisation infrastructure investment has been patchy as fuck and commercially driven. Which is why almost every household still gets its fixed line services down a copper cable from a street cabinet and why people living in rural underpopulated places get half a MBPS if they are lucky.

See also the railway network.
Where I live the only option for fibre optic broadband is Virgin. The service is mostly okay but patchy (like most) but Virgin like in contract price rises as much as they don't like paying tax.

I work from home and have a smart telly (fwp) so need a decent connection and am stuck with a single supplier.

I love the idea of free ultra-fast fibre to the home broadband, and can see the logic in a nationalised network, but I am struggling with the network running cost, which Labour puts at £230m pa, yet the Openreach wages alone are £800-850m pa.

That was put to John McDonald just now on Sky News, he was very good at not answering the question, he waffled on about the retail opportunities of renting the infrastructure to other providers. But, if we all have free ultra-fast broadband, why would anyone pay for the same from another provider. :hmm:

There is also the digital divide to address.

People out of work or on long term benefits need to get on line. Health services, benefits and a lot of government services are online.

Luckily there are libraries with free Internet access all over the.... Oh hang on.

I love the idea of free ultra-fast fibre to the home broadband, and can see the logic in a nationalised network, but I am struggling with the network running cost, which Labour puts at £230m pa, yet the Openreach wages alone are £800-850m pa.

That was put to John McDonald just now on Sky News, he was very good at not answering the question, he waffled on about the retail opportunities of renting the infrastructure to other providers. But, if we all have free ultra-fast broadband, why would anyone pay for the same from another provider. :hmm:
Imagine a national health service in the USA? People would go bankrupt :eek: oh hang on

Maybe I’m the only one but I’m not entirely sure about the government owning ALL personal and commercial internet traffic. In the wrong hands that could be a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom