Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tories couldn't find a minister to do an interview for the election for Moneybox. A programme targeted at older folk with a little spare cash. They had to make do with a nonentity standing for election. He didn't do very well, presumably thereby pissing off their core voters

Whilst waiting in the barbers today I picked up a copy of the Mail that had been left there. What they described about last night's QT was so far from reality it was just absurd.

Daily_Mail_3_6_2017.jpg

WTAF.

Just been leafleting in city centre in the Black Country with two main constituencies. According to yougov one will go Tory, the other Labour. I get the sense that the Labour vote is very energised, Corbyn is getting people out there who are willing to vote Labour in spite of their dislike for their Labour MP. A handful of people saying they will vote Labour even though they don't agree with what they think is Labour immigration policy. Brexit didn't come up once and this is a v heavy leave area.

Nukes didn't come up either, oddly enough being blown to pieces doesn't seem to be high up on voters' key list of issues.

Last edited:
A thought just occurred to me. For a while I've been thinking how different things could have been in this election if the bigger name labour MPs had actually got involved in the election campaign, but I'd been thinking things would have been different better. Maybe the fact these people have stayed away from the campaign has been part of what has helped with the positive shift in the polls. I know not seeing Yvette Cooper on telly anywhere has kept my blood pressure lower for starters.

A thought just occurred to me. For a while I've been thinking how different things could have been in this election if the bigger name labour MPs had actually got involved in the election campaign, but I'd been thinking things would have been different better. Maybe the fact these people have stayed away from the campaign has been part of what has helped with the positive shift in the polls. I know not seeing Yvette Cooper on telly anywhere has kept my blood pressure lower for starters.

It has helped massively. The Tories have attacked Corbyn directly, the PLP have stepped aside to let him "own" the defeat, and the end result is that Labour doesn't appear divided any more.

Jeremy Corbyn Could See Late Surge In Support From Ex-UKIP Voters, HuffPost UK-Edelman Focus Group Finds | HuffPost UK

Jeremy Corbyn could enjoy a late surge in support from ex-UKIP voters, the latest HuffPost UK-Edelman general election focus group has found.

Former supporters of Nigel Farage in Folkestone, Kent, said they felt ‘let down’ by his decision to stand down immediately after the EU referendum and none of them plan to back UKIP at the polling station next week.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

In a surprising shift, half of one group said they would now consider voting Labour, describing Corbyn as ‘down to earth’, but many were still concerned by his failure to sing the national anthem at a Battle of Britain memorial service in 2015.

Sue, a healthcare worker and mum-of-two, said: “I like him a lot, because he has been saying the same thing for 30 years. There are no surprises with him.”

Customer service agent Kim said: “He has stepped up recently. I have been seeing him on the news most mornings. There are pictures of him out round the town, all over the place.”

Julia, a retired nurse, said she planned to vote Conservative but said the Labour leader was ‘being true to himself’.

“He’s unfortunate because he doesn’t have the support of his colleagues,” she added.

The majority of the two groups, made up of six men and nine women aged between 35 and 74 and commissioned by the New Economics Foundation think tank, said they would probably back Theresa May. Those who would consider voting Labour said they were not 100% sure and four were still undecided.

Kim said she recently sat down to read the main parties’ manifestos to learn more about their policies.

“The Tory manifesto bored me to tears,” she added.

This means they'll all vote Tory btw:

"The majority of the two groups, made up of six men and nine women aged between 35 and 74 and commissioned by the New Economics Foundation think tank, said they would probably back Theresa May. Those who would consider voting Labour said they were not 100% sure and four were still undecided."

http://hopenothate.org.uk/2017/06/03/young-people-think-election/

Nearly two-thirds of young people say that they are certain to vote in Thursday’s General Election, which, if it happens, could see them play a decisive role in many marginal seats and thus, in the final outcome. Of those who are registered and say they are certain to vote, two-thirds (68%) plan to back Labour.

That’s according to an exclusive ICM poll commissioned by HOPE not hate and supported by the National Union of Teachers (NUT).

If the turnout is anywhere near the 63% of young people who said that they were “certain” to vote, then this represents a major increase on the 43% who voted in the 2015 General Election.

Just been leafleting in city centre in the Black Country with two main constituencies. According to yougov one will go Tory, the other Labour. I get the sense that the Labour vote is very energised, Corbyn is getting people out there who are willing to vote Labour in spite of their dislike for their Labour MP. A handful of people saying they will vote Labour even though they don't agree with what they think is Labour immigration policy. Brexit didn't come up once and this is a v heavy leave area.

Nukes didn't come up either, oddly enough being blown to pieces doesn't seem to be high up on voters' key list of issues.
Leafleting with who and why?

So he won't sing the national theme song, he won't nuke them muslims, but he's a terrorist and he'll lock people like Toby Young up.

What really galls me about the Apocalpyse 9 on that "debate" thing last night, along with the too-large demographic they represent, is that they often have had the best end of deals via both social democracy (NHS, free education for them and / or their sprogs, welfare state, ok pension plans etc.) and capitalism (cheap imports, inflated housing prices, legacy of imperial advantage) on top of the relative stability of EU which contains much of both traditions

And yet they moan and blame, blame and moan.

I am not qualified to therapise, still less from a distance, but I suspect that these deranged death-obsessives have missed out on a conscious appreciation of some of the deeper, more rewarding and miraculous qualities of life.

Perhaps they should try mindfulness or something. Imagine having such a rare opportunity to quiz a major party leader and just repeating what several have already said, nothing about the issues facing everyday folk country - just whether we should kill 10s of millions of people in a hypothetical situation. It's like a collective breakdown or something, a decades long slow outbreak of Cuntitis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom