Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
workers-bomb.jpg

Ahead of the game...

Needs to be changed to Corbyn's face on it.

just watching the highlights on the news. As an edit it sounds better for him/worse for her.
Good. She's an utter cunt. I had little opinion of her before she took over from Cameron. I've since come to detest her at least on a par with Gideon, Lansley, Hunt, or IDS.

Start a thread on it, there's a couple of people (at least) on U75 that have said that it's one of the reasons why they won't vote for Corbyn

The innate historical awareness we all have that tells us that if we don't have a place on the World Stage then the people who do will happily fuck us over.

"National pride", bragging rights, feeling important, that bollocks.

Fucking ridiculous.

Leave the rest of the world alone FFS. It won't miss us, I promise.

I dunno why he didn't just turn it round and ask em to explain, hey all you von Brauns with the uncontrollable Strangelove eyebrows, tell us how we're ever going to nuke anyone without getting nuked back by everyone else.

Steely British resolve I expect, and a really big umbrella.

I dunno why he didn't just turn it round and ask em to explain, hey all you von Brauns with the uncontrollable Strangelove eyebrows, tell us how we're ever going to nuke anyone without getting nuked back by everyone else.

Indeed. I wish they'd do that more often, to be honest. Ask the public to justify their mad ideas.

Well, also, "tell us under what circumstances you think an already bad situation could be improved by nuking someone, I'm genuinely curious"

(butchers example above apart obviously)

Would anyone change their vote as a result?
Nah but he was quite wooden in his reply. The no first use phrase is fine, but you at least need a reply as to what happens when the bombs start flying. It's all bollocks, all nonsense, there's no real 'correct' answer, but he still should have had a better form of words to hand.

I'm not convinced that banging on about nuking people or not is a great tactical move by the Tories.

Labour should just keep on about social care, education etc. on the doorstep and not get sidetracked here.
It would (IMO) have been a far easier option for Corbyn to set out some specifics:

eg "I'm ruling out first use, but if they diss my mum I'll press the button"

Not that - but you get the idea.

He's consistently refused to do so though, which is kind of... grown-up and reasonable. Which is a bit weird for a major politician.

It may, however, turn out to be quite a genius strategic move, even if strategy wasn't his motivation. My totally non-representative impression snapshot (of people I've spoken to) suggests it's not gone down badly at all, even amongst those who aren't naturally on his side. We shall see, eh...

Would anyone change their vote as a result?

Defence and the IRA stop him getting the extra votes he needs...

See, that was the political genius of our Tony and New Labour c1997... do all the nice public service stuff, and be tough with the tough guys..

He did vote for Trident tbf

Can't think that anyone shifting in the polls recently hadn't heard the bomb and terror lines before, though he did need a straight answer.

Interesting to see some of the questioners being interviewed just now.

IMO kinda undermines them a bit. Takes away that "ordinary member of the public" veneer. Good for Corbyn (if anyone other than me is still watching!)

Just going off the comments of non-political friends who've watched it (though keep in mind they aren't red-faced DM reading 65 year olds), they found the nuclear weapons bit surreal, thought Corbyn did better than May and various negative comments on her personality.

The normal suspects from the mainstream commentariat seem to, at worst be putting it down as a draw, some giving the edge to Corbyn, all noting May did better the previously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom