Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking home from the station (Catford ) when I heard something like "Srceerch..."last Labour" ...whistlepop.. "ernment"hiss...crackle...."ote Conservat" bang... Fizz"

Then an ancient knackered Ford Fiesta came whizzing by driven by a spotty youth. It had 2 tannoys strapped to the roof and was blaring out some sort of tory message on a loop. It was so amateur it was fucking hilarious.:D

P
Labour leafleting at Dorking station again today. I took their leaflets and am going to leave them prominently on the train when I change in one stop.

A friend who's done some Tory mythbusting postcards (not official party stuff) has been slipping them into newspapers in supermarkets and shops. Might be a good guerrilla tactic.

This morning's regular Labour "give us your money" email, from John McDonnell:

I spoke with Jeremy this morning and he couldn't wait to tell me: we made history yesterday. In a way only our movement could.

The target he set was an ambitious one: to raise £500,000 by polling day. But brilliant, generous, passionate Labour supporters like you raised over £400,000 before the day was out.

That's the biggest day of online fundraising British politics has ever seen.

And we're not done yet. Patrick, let's show the Tories — we're not finished making history until we kick them out of Number 10

It's working though, these begging emails. I bunged them a tenner last week on the back of polling surges giving me hope. Never thought I'd give the Labour Party money, and I wouldn't have done either if they hadn't been persistent about it.

leaflet from the tories adressed to me personally.
I've been getting a lot of those too, plus ads on social media. I'm assuming it's because my Labour MP only has a maj. of 2.5k. Of course, only makes me more determined to vote for the bugger.

One of them uses the same phrase I've seen on other campaign material, "I'm standing with Theresa May". And sure enough, there's a photo of him on the front, standing with Theresa May.

Probably regretting that now. Lucky to have tracked her down, really.

Anyone know if Political Scrapbook are reliable?

They've just reported that May is refusing all interviews with BBC Radio:

Theresa May is now refusing to do any interviews with BBC Radio | Political Scrapbook
Owen Jones claims to have had an anonymous tip off from a BBC journalist to that effect too.

What I was going to say is that we need to ask of him: was the tip off sent to him alone, and if so, why? If others have had it, where are we seeing that? (I haven't read this link yet so don't know if Jones is the source: will get back). And if the email was anonymised, how did he check it was genuine (as he claims to have done quite soon after going public with it)?

ETA. Jones' tweet is the source. So that's all the corroboration we have so far: Jones word that he checked and it's kosher. (How did he check? Did the anonymous person out themselves? Why anonymise the email in the first place then?)

It's off the back of that Owen Jones thing, from an unknown 'BBC' source. No idea if it's been further corroborated beyond that point.
Yeah I think they're exaggerating it. Owen Jones is saying it's just local interviews. Not sure if that's such a big deal tbh. I'm sure you could argue that in the last week of an election campaign your time would be best spent on national media.

Eta:

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's because my Labour MP only has a maj. of 2.5k. Of course, only makes me more determined to vote for the bugger.
I'm assuming its cos this is a majority leave town and hollobones lead is big enough that perhaps they are worried the vote will be complacent and not turn out. If its anything other than a tory win here I will be astonished

Unsurprisingly, as other world leaders line up to condemn Trump's actions, May is notable in her silence.

Hell, even the mayor of New York is saying he's basically going to ignore Trump and sign the city up to Paris independently!
Paris climate deal: PM May tells Trump of 'disappointment' - BBC News

So, she's "disappointed", but even that was only said in a phone conversation with Trump after he called her. This is the great leadership we can expect? More passive than attempts to clean up my flat :facepalm:

Owen Jones claims to have had an anonymous tip off from a BBC journalist to that effect too.

What I was going to say is that we need to ask of him: was the tip off sent to him alone, and if so, why? If others have had it, where are we seeing that? (I haven't read this link yet so don't know if Jones is the source: will get back). And if the email was anonymised, how did he check it was genuine (as he claims to have done quite soon after going public with it)?

ETA. Jones' tweet is the source. So that's all the corroboration we have so far: Jones word that he checked and it's kosher. (How did he check? Did the anonymous person out themselves? Why anonymise the email in the first place then?)

BBC journo figuring Jones is the type to report on this... Maybe, just maybe they're doing it in the public interest rather than for personal gain (unlikely, I know). Edgy because presumably he/she is breaking their contract. Jones gives some standard guarantee of anonymity to the source, or gets them to confirm via some accepted method (journos must be doing this shit all the time, I'm sure there are loads of systems in place).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom