Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly knows Jones, but not 'the BBC will never employ you again, we're fucking ending you' know.

Is it really that good this to happen now? I'm happy to be wrong, but there seems to be the danger that you have something like election expenses which most people ultimately don't care about knocking issues which people care more about out of the headlines.

I don't think it be that big an issue anyway. Just another little bit of awkwardness the tories would rather not have.

Is it really that good this to happen now? I'm happy to be wrong, but there seems to be the danger that you have something like election expenses which most people ultimately don't care about knocking issues which people care more about out of the headlines.
takes some shine off that 'strong and stable' doesn't it? Wether people give a shit or not (I struggle to, its all a rigged game anyway etc) its making the party look shit and corrupt 6 days before we vote. Dunno if it'll change any minds at this point, who can fathom the mind of the last minute floaters?

There's a synergy here tho. Plays into the people vs crooked Tories narrative.

takes some shine off that 'strong and stable' doesn't it? Wether people give a shit or not (I struggle to, its all a rigged game anyway etc) its making the party look shit and corrupt 6 days before we vote. Dunno if it'll change any minds at this point, who can fathom the mind of the last minute floaters?
It's small beer compared to the fear & loathing from the older voters re #dementiatax...but helpful, nonetheless.

By itself it's trivial but it's another sign of things coming of the wheels of the Tory party and that could be damaging, if you're presenting yourself as strong and stable. Collectively these incidents are damaging even if individually they are very minor.

EDIT: and it means CCHQ has to spend time talking about this, Trump, May's no show rather than the issues it want's to spend time on - Brexit, immigration etc

BBC journo figuring Jones is the type to report on this... Maybe, just maybe they're doing it in the public interest rather than for personal gain (unlikely, I know). Edgy because presumably he/she is breaking their contract. Jones gives some standard guarantee of anonymity to the source, or gets them to confirm via some accepted method (journos must be doing this shit all the time, I'm sure there are loads of systems in place).
OK, but I think it's fair to ask the questions. If this goes wider and Jones isn't the only source (i.e. other reporters dig at the BBC or CCHQ to see if it's true, because more than one person knows this if it's happened!), then I'll be less cautious. And I'm not saying Jones is lying. And it definitely fits the pattern, if true. But I'm all for healthy scepticism, especially where there's only one source.

Was that bloke's seat considered safe prior to this? No Farage for people to vote for this time round etc.
Labour held it from 1997 until 2005, though I doubt even with this that they'll be able to retake it. In 2010 Cons had a 8000 majority.

ETA: FWIW YouGov's seat predictor has it down as a safe Tory

Last edited:
FWIW: there is no downside to this story - the tories being charged with election fraud a week before an election? How could that not go against them, especially considering they're already cunting it right up?

It may not be electorally significant in and of itself - but it feeds into the ongoing narrative of the Tories in disarray. It's another kick in the balls.

Above: Theresa May with chips in a seaside town.

Nicola Sturgeon with chip in a seaside town.
Nicola%20with%20chips.jpg

Obviously, Anstruther has better and more popular chips.

Could never imagine May in that scrum.

I've actually found the last few days of this campaign genuinely interesting. First time in years. Schadenfreude, mainly, but still. Really don't know how it's going to pan out in a weeks time now. I've got a feeling I might be stumbling into work having had no sleep whatsoever on the 9th.

I've actually found the last few days of this campaign genuinely interesting. First time in years. Schadenfreude, mainly, but still. Really don't know how it's going to pan out in a weeks time now. I've got a feeling I might be stumbling into work having had no sleep whatsoever on the 9th.

The sound of tories sharpening their knives has become deafening. Normally it worries me because no matter how disgraceful their leader is they always manage to find worse, this time around though I think they'd struggle to do that. Johnson or Leadsom possibly?

Apparently Farron refusing to say whether he thinks homosexuality is a sin on a call in just now.

TBF to the twat his point that it's the actions that matter I've some sympathy with but looks bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom