Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL denied Uber operator license, ride hailing service wins on appeal (Sept 2020)

I was talking to a taxi driver only a couple of days ago, he reckons there's now around 500 taxis licenced in Worthing, far too many, and was saying his income has been dropping for the last 5 or 6 years.
It's the same here but there's more than 500. The council make a lot of money so keep dishing them out.
He went on to say he knows of a few that have decided to try their luck with uber in the city.
I know a few London cabbies that tried, but not for long. The money is shit in London unless you are lucky and put in long hours.

How have they done that?

For a start they let them keep operating after the licence was revoked, and they (at least based on reports of this court case) appear to have been the ones who constructed the framework by which Uber could get its licence back.

One might have thought that serial (and ongoing) misdeeds, as well as fairly high level interference in domestic politics, would have been come down on harder but it seems not.

Are Prius exempt from the charge cause they're hybrids?
For now. From 2021 only fully emission free vehicles will qualify for discount of the whole charge.

Also, Toyota has revised the figures for newer Priuses such that they no longer qualify. Not sure where that leaves the older ones.

Last edited:
I find all the posturing about zero emission cars ludicrous. A date has been given for the complete ban on fossil fuel powered cars, but nothing about where all the extra electricity is coming from.

This Winter may see brown outs if conditions get rough, we are pretty much using all that we are capable of generating.

I've just counted twenty turbines at a standstill on this beautiful cold clear day.

I find all the posturing about zero emission cars ludicrous. A date has been given for the complete ban on fossil fuel powered cars, but nothing about where all the extra electricity is coming from.

This Winter may see brown outs if conditions get rough, we are pretty much using all that we are capable of generating.

I've just counted twenty turbines at a standstill on this beautiful cold clear day.

I am sure the government will sort out out, just like with Brexit. :hmm:

mind you count them again later, they're crafty buggers

What a load of bollocks. It won't cost Uber or Addison Lee a fucking penny and several thousand drivers will be paying forty quid a week to go to work. Cunts.

The primary motivation is air quality in the city, not climate change. So if the electric taxis are ultimately running on gas power stations, that's ok because central London air won't be dishing out asthma and lung cancer like sweets at christmas.

I like to be uber cool and hip.
It's a long standing grudge against Uber. They've managed to change the entire vocabulary of an industry in a couple of years. Customers are riders not passengers. Jobs are 'in progress' not POB etc. etc. Fucking bunch of Johnny come latelies.

I am sure the government will sort out out, just like with Brexit. :hmm:
they're doing their best...
Solar power payments to be scrapped – Which? News
New solar panel owners will not be paid for the electricity they give to the grid from next April, the government revealed today. The feed-in tariff scheme is made up of two parts: the generation tariff and the export tariff.
Currently, the export tariff pays householders who put excess solar electricity they have generated into the grid. Without the payment, new solar panel owners would give electricity which they cannot use to the grid for free.
The government department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) had previously announced it would scrap generation payments made to homeowners who produce renewable electricity. Stopping both payments means the end of the feed-in tariff scheme for new applicants.
The government said that the current payments don’t ‘align with the wider government objectives to move towards market-based solutions, cost reflective pricing and the continued drive to minimise support costs on consumers’.

The primary motivation is air quality in the city, not climate change. So if the electric taxis are ultimately running on gas power stations, that's ok because central London air won't be dishing out asthma and lung cancer like sweets at christmas.

Of course, as we all know, the needs of London are paramount. The peasants out in the sticks who are suffering as a result of piss poor air quality, to provide electricity for London's cars, don't matter. :p:rolleyes:

mind you count them again later, they're crafty buggers

I counted over fifty one cold clear day, between the Ayrshire coast and home. All having a rest.

When the wind blows, we are paying turbine owners not to come onto the grid, it would overload. Wind power is a piss poor way of generating energy.

I counted over fifty one cold clear day, between the Ayrshire coast and home. All having a rest.

When the wind blows, we are paying turbine owners not to come onto the grid, it would overload. Wind power is a piss poor way of generating energy.
Turbines in the wrong places, should be in westminster and round town halls

Back
Top Bottom