Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SPOTY shortlist 2021

Funnier than he thinks he is.
What a joke! No Cav. Unless they’ve decided to give him lifetime achievement. It stinks.

My vote would be Adam Peaty who was phenomenal again this year. Sarah Storey is also a good shout.

I can see why Emma Radacanu will most likely win and I can't begrudge her that.

Seeing Tom Daley win Olympic gold made me very happy but I'm not sure he's for the top spot

Raheem Sterling is a great player but, again, not the top spot for me.

I'm not a Tyson Fury fan

Ah you sure it's not Maro Itoje?

Basically it's about who's going to come second and third, isn't it?

Team of the year and moment of the year has to be the UK wheelchair basketball team. That was fucking awesome.
England football team will rightfully win team of the year.

Team of the year and moment of the year has to be the UK wheelchair basketball team. That was fucking awesome.
Ahem, I meant the UK wheelchair rugby team. Get this brilliant sport on TV more. It's the sort of thing Channel 4 would've done, some years ago, and could still.

My vote would be Adam Peaty who was phenomenal again this year. Sarah Storey is also a good shout.

I can see why Emma Radacanu will most likely win and I can't begrudge her that.

Seeing Tom Daley win Olympic gold made me very happy but I'm not sure he's for the top spot

Raheem Sterling is a great player but, again, not the top spot for me.

I'm not a Tyson Fury fan
As much as I love boxing, Fury shouldn't be on the list, he beat a man he had previously bursted off.

I wonder if Jason Kenny will get the lifetime achievement gong. He's the most decorated able-bodied British Olympian ever, but oddly not a household name. Laid back as fuck too.

What a joke! No Cav. Unless they’ve decided to give him lifetime achievement. It stinks.

An even bigger joke to me is that Ronnie O'Sullivan has never won it, despite the greatest snooker player of all time by far. Maybe his 'personality' is too contrary and unpredictable for some tastes. But his sporting achievement cannot be denied. He's certainly far worthier of the title than some of the others that have won it (Greg Rusedski anyone?! or Princess feckin Anne!!), that's for sure.

An even bigger joke to me is that Ronnie O'Sullivan has never won it, despite the greatest snooker player of all time by far. Maybe his 'personality' is too contrary and unpredictable for some tastes. But his sporting achievement cannot be denied. He's certainly far worthier of the title than some of the others that have won it (Greg Rusedski anyone?! or Princess feckin Anne!!), that's for sure.
Snooker isn't a proper sport.

Also, what year should he have won it?

Snooker isn't a proper sport.
Horses for courses, and all that.

Also, what year should he have won it?

Probably as far back as 2001 when he claimed his first World title (amongst other titles) and which helped him attain world No 1 for the following season; this follows on from him winning The Masters in 1995 aged 19 (youngest ever winner) and The UK championship in 1993, which still stands as the youngest ever winner of a UK ranking tournament.

Like I say, he's not to everyone's taste. But within his chosen field, and for UK sport in general, he's been one of the best. And if we're talking about the 'personality' side of this award (as the title clearly acknowledges) then I think he's a far more worthy candidate than some of the others who've won. Flaws and all.

Horses for courses, and all that.

Probably as far back as 2001 when he claimed his first World title (amongst other titles) and which helped him attain world No 1 for the following season; this follows on from him winning The Masters in 1995 aged 19 (youngest ever winner) and The UK championship in 1993, which still stands as the youngest ever winner of a UK ranking tournament.

Like I say, he's not to everyone's taste. But within his chosen field, and for UK sport in general, he's been one of the best. And if we're talking about the 'personality' side of this award (as the title clearly acknowledges) then I think he's a far more worthy candidate than some of the others who've won. Flaws and all.
I think the point that was being made was in which year was he the outstanding sports person of the year, if you look at the years when he's been at his best there were some other exceptional sports performances around.

I think the point that was being made was in which year was he the outstanding sports person of the year, if you look at the years when he's been at his best there were some other exceptional sports performances around.

True. Some outstanding winners, to be sure. And absolute worthy ones, too. But say in 2001 alone he'd be my choice above David 'mr-personality-bypass' Beckham who won that year (yeah, me too). Kudos as well for Ellen McArthur who deserved it far better that year than Mr Golden Balls. I guess my impression with O' Sullivan is that he is perhaps too much of an outsider to ever win this. But for me, I'd rather take his unpredictability, his genius at the snooker table and his overall panache and showmanship any time over some of the other sporting figures who have won this award.

True. Some outstanding winners, to be sure. And absolute worthy ones, too. But say in 2001 alone he'd be my choice above David 'mr-personality-bypass' Beckham who won that year (yeah, me too). Kudos as well for Ellen McArthur who deserved it far better that year than Mr Golden Balls. I guess my impression with O' Sullivan is that he is perhaps too much of an outsider to ever win this. But for me, I'd rather take his unpredictability, his genius at the snooker table and his overall panache and showmanship any time over some of the other sporting figures who have won this award.
I agree with everything you say.

Usually watch this but completely forgot to this year - off for Christmas so have no idea what day it is ...

2013, when he retained the WC after barely playing for the previous year.

How the fuck did the England football team beat the GB wheelchair rugby team?
Massively overachieved against expectations in the national sport. Not that weird really.

Also, no way O'Sullivan was ever going to beat Murray who won Wimbledon in 2013, and nor should he have.

Massively overachieved against expectations in the national sport. Not that weird really.

Also, no way O'Sullivan was ever going to beat Murray who won Wimbledon in 2013, and nor should he have.
Massively overachieved? Hmm! But I thought it was coming home this year, that’s what every English fan had been telling everyone that would listen! They still didn’t win the thing. Should have been Team GB really.

I don't think O'Sullivan should've beaten Murray either. I was simply suggesting a year from his career that stood out.

Is too much of a thing made of Tom Daley? As far as I know he's not dominated his sport, and it's all been done with partners who get hardly any attention.

Back
Top Bottom