Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spanish Political News

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
At 10:25 today, Monday, the king of Spain has abdicated, according to Channel 6 here.

What is this likely to mean for the Spanish royal family, and for Spain generally?

I suspect that nothing is likely to change, but that this might have been precipitated by the current scandal surrounding them.

The reintroduction of the monarchy was very important when Franco died. There was a real dread that the horrors of the Civil War could be repeated. I was living in Spain when Franco started to get ill and I wasn't going to stick round if the thing went pear-shaped.

As it was, they kept Franco alive for years while they cobbled together a new model and the transition from the old world to the new world happened almost without a murmur.

But that was 40 years ago and the world has changed since then. It's an interesting development. I think the Spanish people largely like the monarchy.

I'm looking forward to going to the hospital today to hear what my doctors have to say about this. It should make a very interesting topic for class.

I genuinely had no idea that Spain still had a monarchy.
Yes. King Juan Carlos took the throne after the death of Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez lost his head in Scotland in 1985.

SeanConneryHighlanderScottishSpanish.jpg

The former King of Spain

I wonder if I'll get a day off for the coronation. Knowing my luck I'll be back in the UK working.

The reintroduction of the monarchy was very important when Franco died. There was a real dread that the horrors of the Civil War could be repeated. I was living in Spain when Franco started to get ill and I wasn't going to stick round if the thing went pear-shaped.

As it was, they kept Franco alive for years while they cobbled together a new model and the transition from the old world to the new world happened almost without a murmur.

But that was 40 years ago and the world has changed since then. It's an interesting development. I think the Spanish people largely like the monarchy.

That's often trotted out. What's not highlighted quite so often was the monarchists role in bringing franco to power then their tireless work hand in hand to the open fascists of the falange and franco's far-right authoritarian dictators to sustain and legitimise the rule and to put it in such a dominating position that it would never be effectively challenged again. And that involved playing a role in then covering up then justifying the post-war murders of tens if not hundreds of thousands of people, then doing the same with the ongoing actions of the police state - the mass jailings, the continuous primitive executions by garroting, the spying on then stamping down on any forms of independent political organisation - all this administered and ran by the nice democratic monarchists (and spain was a kingdom all this time btw - there was no king, but the state was a monarchy) and the plundering of the state and its people.

And this is rarely mentioned precisely because it would undermine the myth of the democratic transition - the one where the old elites retain all their power and any hint of ideological contamination from Portugal or the rebirth of influence of the old left and anarchist groups is sidelined and outcast by our new democrats - the one where the state changes form but the content largely stays the same. The one where the elites fear of challenges to their power was sold as fear of civil war.

There's only one sane response to such democrats.

Last edited:
That's often trotted out. What's not highlighted quite so often was the monarchists role franco to power then their tireless work hand in hand to the open fascists of the falange and franco's far-right authoritarian dictators to sustain and legitimise the rule and to put it in such a dominating position that it would never be effectively challenged again. And that involved playing a role in then covering up then justifying the post-war murders of tens if not thousands of people, then doing the same with the ongoing actions of the police state - the mass jailings, the continuous primitive executions by garroting, the spying on then stamping down on any forms of independent political organisation - all this administered and ran by the nice democratic monarchists (and spain was a kingdom all this time btw - there was no king, but the state was a monarchy) and the plundering of the state and its people.

And this is rarely mentioned precisely because it would undermine the myth of the democratic transition - the one where the old elites retain all their power and any hint of ideological contamination from Portugal or the rebirth of influence of the old left and anarchist groups is sidelined and outcast by our new democrats - the one where the state changes form but the content largely stays the same. The one where the elites fear of challenges to their power was sold as fear of civil war.

There's only one sane response to such democrats.

Juan Carlos is often credited with "putting down" the Tejero coup, but I think it's as likely that he saw the coup was failing and THEN played his hand, making sure he came out of it looking gorgeous.

Juan Carlos is often credited with "putting down" the Tejero coup, but I think it's as likely that he saw the coup was failing and THEN played his hand, making sure he came out of it looking gorgeous.

That has always been my impression too.

This is the family that shoots itself in the foot literally. Bunch of retards.

That has always been my impression too.

This is the family that shoots itself in the foot literally. Bunch of retards.

In the forehead too of course, not just the foot. How you can kill your brother in a gun accident and end up with an increased enthusiasm for firearms is beyond me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom