Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Salman Rushdie attacked on stage in New York

if he still alive this long after being stabbed in the neck

its about as positive an outcome as you can expect

we will find out in the next few hours

Yeah. If surgery was needed to stabilise him I think they’d have been on it sooner, so this might be a matter of fixing damage.

I am not a Doctor and wishful thinking disclaimers apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ax^
Here’s another piece on the impact of Rushdie’s Satanic Verses, 30 years after its publishing, from Kenan Malik for the Guardian:

Sometimes, you just have to shake your head to clear it and look again. Did he really write that? So it was when I read a review in the Independent by Sean O’Grady of The Satanic Verses: 30 Years On, a BBC documentary on the Rushdie affair and its legacy.
But, yes, in the last paragraph, he really wrote: “Rushdie’s silly, childish book should be banned under today’s anti-hate legislation. It’s no better than racist graffiti on a bus stop. I wouldn’t have it in my house, out of respect to Muslim people and contempt for Rushdie, and because it sounds quite boring. I’d be quite inclined to burn it, in fact.”
Even in today’s censorious, don’t-give-offence climate, there is something startling in the casualness with which the associate editor of a national newspaper can proudly proclaim himself a would-be book-burner and book-banner…
Read the full article here.

Here’s another piece on the impact of Rushdie’s Satanic Verses, 30 years after its publishing, from Kenan Malik for the Guardian:

Read the full article here.
Good piece, as usual from Malik.

This bit is particularly good.

The significance of the confrontation, however, as Azhar deftly draws out, lay less in what Rushdie wrote than in what the novel came to symbolise. There’s a scene in The Satanic Verses in which one of the characters, Saladin Chamcha, is incarcerated in an immigration detention centre. The inmates have all been turned into monsters. “How?” Saladin wonders. “They have the power to describe,” comes the reply, “and we succumb to the pictures they construct.”

Rushdie was writing of how racism demonises its Others. He could equally have been describing the way the conflict over his novel created its own monsters.

In part, much of the nonsense stems from the fact that some people don't get Magical Realism. :facepalm:

Like for LBJ's post despite suspecting that the vast majority of people haven't even heard of magic realism.

Jorge Luis Borges is my favourite. Love Haruki Murakami & Angela Carter too
I used to have a lot of time for Milan Kundera, although I struggle to re-read him now. Although that could be because the internet has shot my attention span.

I've heard of magic realism and read TSV. Not a fan of either tbh. (Read a few of his books and just not really my thing.)
I've read Midnight's Children and started TSV but didn't finish it. At some point in my life, this stuff, along with the likes of García Márquez and Saramago, felt like something I ought to like. But actually, I often just find it a bit tiresome.

I've read Midnight's Children and started TSV but didn't finish it. At some point in my life, this stuff, along with the likes of García Márquez and Saramago, felt like something I ought to like. But actually, I often just find it a bit tiresome.
Garcia Marquez always sent me scurrying for some kind of lightweight(ish) thriller or something after ploughing through 50-100 pages. It was then that I started to think, 'Maybe I'm not some kind of working class intellectual/ semi-genius after all.'

Garcia Marquez always sent me scurrying for some kind of lightweight(ish) thriller or something after ploughing through 50-100 pages. It was then that I started to think, 'Maybe i'm not some kind of working class intellectual/ semi-genius after all.
Nobody writes to the colonel.

Very good and very short and no funny business.

I wouldn't bother with much else tbh unless you really do like magical realism.

On second thoughts magical realism doesn't sound like a book I have already enjoyed though I do like sci-fi.

Pretty sure I’ve read at least one book that was magical realism, and another that kind of went in that direction in the later stages.

Not read any Rushdie, but a friend at Uni raved about Midnight’s Children, so much so that I’ve won pub quiz questions about the book decades after.

Back
Top Bottom