Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Salman Rushdie attacked on stage in New York

In case anyone would like to read it for free.

There is an Irish program called Reeling In The Years. It was on tv the other night
They were covering 1989. ..and looked at the fatwa on Salman issued at that time.

What an horrific act of violence on Salman today.... very sad news.
Hope he pulls through

All my best wishes for him.

I read Midnight Children, Satanic Verses and the recent Quixote one. He's somebody who can create alternate universes which link to this one and his own and the world will be poorer if he dies.

"One thing I feel, well, proud of, let's say, is if you knew nothing about my life, if all you had were my books, I don't think you would feel something traumatic happened to me in 1989. I'm glad I had the brains to think in the middle of all that: I don't want to be the victim of this. I could write frightened or revenge books, and both would make me a creature of the event. So I thought: be the writer that you want to be.........determination, I think is the word. Determination."

read midnights children. tried to read satanic verses.

various UK Muslims claimed satanic verses politicised them. Well Fuck you, Trying to justify murdering somebody who wrote something you didn't agree with and left your religion. Tough ,you can't kill people because they say things you don't like even if it's about your god.
It's not racism or islamophobia it's called liberty. Its why your mosques aren't burned and your children sent to orphanages to be raised as good Christians :mad: because that's how things used to be.

Along with 'blasphemy', it is a term that I reject entirely. It is a concept whose validity I do not recognise. Fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.
Indeed.

There is an Australian comic who goes further although not in a religious way, "offence" so someone says something and you are offended, so what? you are offended, why should I care? Wish I could recall his name, very amusing.

Hope he gets fixed up ok.
Funny how we remember different things, and it’s a really long time ago, but I remember pretty universal condemnation of that stupid fatwa, and total support for Rushdie at the time.

One think I do recall is some Tory whining about the cost of his protection at one point, but only that really.

BBC's security correspondent dribbling on about how 'the Rushdie Affair' radicalised a generation of young Muslim men. What utter fucking bollocks. They were already radicalised if they stood up to protest about this book.
What's radical about ultra-conformism, a term I think I've just made up,? Don't think for yourself! Do as you're told! Radical my arse.

One example of equivocation I remember came from John Le Carré, along the lines that you don't have an absolute right to offend people's religious beliefs. There were others, but that one comes immediately to mind. I quite liked Le Carré in many ways, but he was very misguided on this point.

One example of equivocation I remember came from John Le Carré, along the lines that you don't have an absolute right to offend people's religious beliefs.

Not that unusual a sentiment round these parts to be fair. I’ve never read the book and while it was explained at some point, I forget what got people so riled.

BBC's security correspondent dribbling on about how 'the Rushdie Affair' radicalised a generation of young Muslim men. What utter fucking bollocks. They were already radicalised if they stood up to protest about this book.

Muslims have the right to believe whatever the hell they want and dress how they like have mosques and Halal whatever. They should be allowed about their daily business without hassle.
They don't have the right to expect others to follow or respect their rules

Indeed.

There is an Australian comic who goes further although not in a religious way, "offence" so someone says something and you are offended, so what? you are offended, why should I care? Wish I could recall his name, very amusing.
Jim Jefferies?

Muslims have the right to believe whatever the hell they want and dress how they like have mosques and Halal whatever. They should be allowed about their daily business without hassle.
They don't have the right to expect others to follow or respect their rules
Quite right. It's also the case that authoritarian, reactionary, religious beliefs should be discouraged. At the very least.

Slightly ironically, the Chautauqua Institution is asking for people's prayers. Um, they do know Salman's views on religion, don't they?

Part of the history of Chautauqua is an effort to bring preachers around to speak as part of an effort to educate the masses in the 19th century. So there's form for it.

Part of the history of Chautauqua is an effort to bring preachers around to speak as part of an effort to educate the masses in the 19th century. So there's form for it.
I'm sure they're just trying to be nice, but he describes himself as a 'militant atheist'. Bit of a bum note in the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom