Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Salman Rushdie attacked on stage in New York

On second thoughts magical realism doesn't sound like a book I have already enjoyed though I do like sci-fi.
It's not like sci-fi. It's impossible things happening as if it were just normal for such things to happen, but without any kind of scientific explanation, and usually with some kind of allegorical/symbolic aspect to it.

(I don't count Kundera as MR, tbh, although it always seemed far-fetched how much great sex everyone is having.)

Last edited:
It's not like sci-fi. It's impossible things happening as if it were just normal for such things to happen, but without any kind of scientific explanation, and usually with some kind of allegorical/symbolic aspect to it.

To be fair, some sci fi and fantasy is a little like that. :)

Some of the best of it, in fact.

(I don't count Kundera as MR, tbh, although it always seemed far-fetched how much sex everyone is having.)
I know Kundera wasn't at first, but he kind of flirted with it eventually (which made him famous, as did that horrible film version of 'The Unbearable Lightness...') And yes, the sexual encounters seem just that bit too easy to come by.*

I first heard of him when I managed to somehow get an incredibly pretentious girlfriend.

*A bit like in Peep Show. Those two would never manage to get that much sex irl.

^^ this, I bought it in solidarity but didn't read it in solidarity. Might actually be a first edition I must check :)
That seems to be the story of Satanic Verses: most of those either condemning it or defending it never having actually read it.

That seems to be the story of Satanic Verses: most of those either condemning it or defending it never having actually read it.
There is an important difference. I didn't finish it (although I read enough to see how it was going), but I would defend it and him whatever the words inside it had said, however offensive it might have been to certain religious types.

And I stand by what I said about magical realism. If you don't get the symbolic/allegorical nature of the events described, you're going to badly misunderstand it. Malik's example is a very good one of just that happening.

There is an important difference. I didn't finish it (although I read enough to see how it was going), but I would defend it and him whatever the words inside it had said, however offensive it might have been to certain religious types.

And I stand by what I said about magical realism. If you don't get the symbolic/allegorical nature of the events described, you're going to badly misunderstand it. Malik's example is a very good one of just that happening.
Agree completely.

Unlike The Magus by Fowles for me. Started it as I recall one evening, went to bed but was thinking about it so much I had to get up and read it through the night, and possibly the next day a good 650 pages it was. Stunning book.
Mrs RD recommends it. It's been on our shelves for years. Might give it a go.

Me too. I could devour Dosteyevsky in a few days once upon a time. Nowadays I baulk at the idea of anything over 200 pages.

Graham Greene had it right. A novel should be 160 pages long.
I used to plough through novels, especially on holiday, whether a beach-type one or travelling on trains/ coaches. Now I just mess about on my phone like everybody else, and bring a novel home about half-read at best, usually with a view to finishing it 'sometime.'

Serious novels did fuck with my politics, though. Destroyed any sense of certainty.

I used to read in bed for half to one hour. Got through plenty of books that way and kept a library habit on the go. Since I got a smart phone now I watch the news until I go to sleep.

Shame, books were good for me. I should do something about it but it is hard to get to the library now I am working.

I read the Idiot when I was about 16 another 650+ page . Am reassured that I had no idea what it was about though, and remember less :)
I'd say read it again, but I know I won't be. It's a fantastic book. As are Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. But they're all lengthy tomes. It's partly a function of the time they were written. You do get pages and pages of seemingly unnecessary descriptions of stuff in between the action. That's what photos/videos are for nowadays - novels can afford to be pared back.

I did go through a phase of listening to adaptations of books which are my favourites tbh, I get much more of what they're about. Did try audio books which I enjoyed but still prefer adaptations.

I used to read in bed for half to one hour. Got through plenty of books that way and kept a library habit on the go. Since I got a smart phone now I watch the news until I go to sleep.

Shame, books were good for me. I should do something about it but it is hard to get to the library now I am working.
Mrs RD still reads for an hour or so at the end of the day. One of the lucky ones who regards her smartphone as a pain in the arse that you have to occasionally pay attention to. It means I can text her in the morning and she comes home from work 6-7 hours later completely ignorant of what I was trying to tell her.

Mrs RD still reads for an hour or so at the end of the day. One of the lucky ones who regards her smartphone as a pain in the arse that you have to occasionally pay attention to. It means I can text her in the morning and she comes home from work 6-7 hours later completely ignorant of what I was trying to tell her.
I'm currently flicking between this thread and a film I'm not that bothered about. :(

I struggle to maintain enough attention to watch a film. :D

About a year and a half since I stopped working from home and I am still trying to train my son that he can't call me anytime anymore.

Back
Top Bottom