Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russia mobilises - consequences and reactions

He may be the man who pulls the temple down on all our heads.
And all through the stupidity of those we 'choose' as our leaders. They knew from the attitude of the most western-friendly government Russia had ever had (Yeltsin's) the likely eventual Russian reaction towards expanding NATO eastwards, and continued nonetheless. They understood (or should have) the political direction of the Putin regime, which in itself came about as a reaction to western advice on the economy (which pretty much collapsed under Yeltsin), and still ploughed ahead.

It's particularly insane when you consider that NATO was formed in response to a threat which no longer existed. The USSR was history, and Russia on its knees when eastward expansion began, and no threat to any country beyond (potentially) the ex-USSR.

This is not to say (this for foaming, war-enthusiastic idiots) that Russia had to embark on its present course. But they knew it was a distinct possibility.

The Graun wants us to surrender already.

”Western capitals should at least point out to Ukrainian leaders that their prospects of retaking all their territory may not be as bright as they hope. There is a very long way to go – their operation in Kharkiv was dramatic, but only bought them back a fraction of their territory. Whether it can be replicated for the remainder is uncertain. At a minimum, now is not the time to offer the Ukrainians advanced new weapons systems.”

And all through the stupidity of those we 'choose' as our leaders. They knew from the attitude of the most western-friendly government Russia had ever had (Yeltsin's) the likely eventual Russian reaction towards expanding NATO eastwards, and continued nonetheless. They understood (or should have) the political direction of the Putin regime, which in itself came about as a reaction to western advice on the economy (which pretty much collapsed under Yeltsin), and still ploughed ahead.

It's particularly insane when you consider that NATO was formed in response to a threat which no longer existed. The USSR was history, and Russia on its knees when eastward expansion began, and no threat to any country beyond (potentially) the ex-USSR.

This is not to say (this for foaming, war-enthusiastic idiots) that Russia had to embark on its present course. But they knew it was a distict possibility.
Thing is you have to ask to join NATO. You don’t get invited. I do have to say though that policy planners in the West around the the time of the disintegration of the USSR must have known this. That smaller countries would want to be under the NATO umbrella with a nuclear armed neighbour. And on the Russian side too probably. I don’t even think how things have turned out is the law of unintended consequences. I think this was predictable.

”Western capitals should at least point out to Ukrainian leaders that their prospects of retaking all their territory may not be as bright as they hope. There is a very long way to go – their operation in Kharkiv was dramatic, but only bought them back a fraction of their territory. Whether it can be replicated for the remainder is uncertain. At a minimum, now is not the time to offer the Ukrainians advanced new weapons systems.”

'Us'? I wasn't aware 'we' were at war.

Thing is you have to ask to join NATO. You don’t get invited. I do have to say though that policy planners in the West around the the time of the disintegration of the USSR must have known this. That smaller countries would want to be under the NATO umbrella with a nuclear armed neighbour. And on the Russian side too probably. I don’t even think how things have turned out is the law of unintended consequences. I think this was predictable.
It would be naive to think that NATO was just sat there twiddling its thumbs, waiting for applicants.

You're right in that all this was entirely predictable. Still, many science fiction writers, and others, have long predicted that we'd have the nuclear war sometime.

I was being UK centric in my post.
In the UK there is no 'us.' The USA, which is driving all this, is a politically and socially speaking, tribal basket case, possibly with no long-term (in the expansive sense) future.

"Russia must emerge from this crisis chastened for its recklessness." is this the new de-fang ?

In any case, that's an opinion piece. The Guardian's stance is so fanatically pro-Ukraine that they'd see us all on the brink.

That's today's liberals for you.

This is not to say (this for foaming, war-enthusiastic idiots) that Russia had to embark on its present course. But they knew it was a distinct possibility.
I knew it was all our fault.

I knew it was all our fault.
Our fault? As I keep saying, who on earth do you think 'we' might be? Jesus Christ.

'We' are a bunch of hapless, powerless, exploited twats, manipulated at every turn, sitting in our living rooms, contemplating the imminence of nuclear war (or, more likely, trying not to think about/ oblivious to it.)

Last edited:
You said 'those we chose as our leaders' - you brought us and we into it.

Anyway, I didn't choose them.
Didn't choose them, but, at least in this instance, back them to the hilt, with no criticism whatsoever.

Didn't choose them, but, at least in this instance, back them to the hilt, with no criticism whatsoever
You can't even be arsed to apologise for bringing 'our' and 'we' into the conversation then mistakenly criticising me for doing it :facepalm:

Anyway, I don't back them to the hilt - western leaders should be doing more to support Ukraine.

You can't even be arsed to apologise for bringing 'our' and 'we' into the conversation then mistakenly criticising me for doing it :facepalm:

Anyway, I don't back them to the hilt - western leaders should be doing more to support Ukraine.
A post that makes no sense.

Whatever else you can say about the Gurdian opinion piece posted above, given the stakes it's difficult to argue with the conclusion.

'Putin has presented the world with impossible choices. Russia must emerge from this crisis chastened for its recklessness. But in the next few weeks, leaders need to find offramps to prevent the worst. This will take maximum flexibility and creativity from all sides.'

Back
Top Bottom