Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand on Revolution

AM is obsessed with NWO/Illuminati/Jewish-power conspiracy theory batshit https://archive.today/Dkgx2
He runs the 'Real Currencies' facebook blog and cross-posted TL's defence of Easeman https://archive.today/3xhC0
TL is a big fan of The Barnes Review: https://archive.today/88gCg, which is "one of the most virulent anti-Semitic organizations around ... dedicated to historical revisionism and Holocaust denial." http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/groups/barnes-review

A selection of AM's articles: "Yes, the Money Power is Jewish" https://archive.today/W64h7
AM quote: "In short: Protocol 20 offers a unique insight into all the essentials of monetary theory ... it is absolutely impossible that some "forger" could have written this." https://archive.today/MwcUs#selection-203.0-211.144

No links lead direct to wingnut websites - but to an archive of those bastions of conspiraloon batshittery.
Brand needs to exercise better judgement, but is he capable? It's too easy to get sucked into that conspiranoid shit.

This to me was one of the most baffling developments(or non developments) in british poltical history, why there wasn't more of a response to the banking crisis, etc?, I suppose usually then it was the SWP who would initiate major events on this scale but they chose to do little.

The Swappies saw no benefit (for them) to it.

Are you saying that the 'crisis' wasn't as severe here as say in Spain?, apologies if you aren't.

The political cultures are entirely different, and the British masses are on the sharp end of 30+ years of legislation that has progressively curtailed their rights to protest and to organise. People here have basically been legislatively whipped so often that now many of them will only protest if they've got nothing left to lose, or if the "interest" or subject of protest is purely local.

You're wrong about people not protesting against the bankers. What do you think Occupy is/was all about? Then there were the riots of 2011 and the show trials that followed them. Do you really think Brand is going to lead the 21st century equivalent of the Storming of the Bastille? I can't see it. Besides, revolution doesn't have to be violent.

I mean in an extremely visible, mass collective way, where the people really enact change, and the government has no choice but to jail the bankers, change the laws, and eventually be dismantled.

Do you really think Brand is going to lead the 21st century equivalent of the Storming of the Bastille? I can't see it. Besides, revolution doesn't have to be violent

Nope. Like I always said, he is too much of a messer to be taken seriously, and doesnt want to be foisted onto any pedestal. As for violence? Not sure where you got that from. Russell Brand has always declared himself a pacifist - to the point of being a flower child hippy....

As for "musical revolution" what do you mean? That sounds rather glib. There have been musicians performing politically engaged material. Sleaford Mods? NxtGen?

I mean a quasi political movement that documents the anger of the times, like punk. Dont try and allude that a huge cultural shift has happened musically, under peoples nose and they havent yet cottoned onto it. It hasnt.

You're wrong about people not protesting against the bankers. What do you think Occupy is/was all about? Then there were the riots of 2011 and the show trials that followed them. Do you really think Brand is going to lead the 21st century equivalent of the Storming of the Bastille? I can't see it. Besides, revolution doesn't have to be violent.

Part of the problem as I see it, is that many people want to join a movement, rather than co-create it. Some people are happier being followers, rather than taking responsibility for what they do - generally missing the point that if the state chooses to say that you're responsible, you'll be held responsible.
Brand is a match that might or might not light a flame. That's all. People who put faith in him being a great revolutionary leader miss the point: that it's not about following Russell, it's about acting for communal interests against those who'd strip you of them.

TBH, I think you're taking the suggestion that the Swappies could ever "initiate major events" a little too seriously

StWC was (after their power ploy) mostly a Swappie front, and the anti-war marches were very definitely initiated, channeled and organised by StWC.

StWC was (after their power ploy) mostly a Swappie front, and the anti-war marches were very definitely initiated, channeled and organised by StWC.

I know about the first bit (in fact I almost mentioned it in my post), but although they got much of the credit for the first big anti-war march, I'm not convinced that they actually initiated that as a major event which wouldn't have happened in some way without them, rather than just parasiting on it in typical Swappie fashion.

Anyway, that's a bit of a sideline to the main subject of the thread, so not inclined to labour the issue.

B0nxPKiIcAAt7da.jpg:large

Maybe Brand could host a meeting with this guy, could be interesting

I've been suspicious of Russell Brand's revolutionary campaign and the way the book has been published and promoted confirms my suspicions. He has millions of Twitter followers and he has his own website so free distribution or low-price sale were options in a way that they wouldn't be for a less well known political campaigner. However, he's signed a deal with a major publisher and the book has been released as a hardback in the run-up to Christmas. Why?

It's not about making money. It's not about getting his revolutionary message across to a wider audience. It's about getting Russell Brand on TV and in the newspapers which is something major publishing companies can help him do. It's an ego trip. It's attention seeking. Making another film, doing another stand-up tour or writing My Booky Wook 3 wouldn't make him stand out much so during a bout of cognitive dissonance he came up with the idea of becoming a revolutionary and a year on he's still not really thought the idea through. However, that's not important because he's having a go at Fox News again, he's on Newsnight again and he's in The Guardian again.

It's not about promoting revolution. It's about promoting Russell Brand.

revolutions require people of bravery and integrity . Man who dumps his wife by text message strikes me as perhaps a tad lacking in such qualities

Brand needs to exercise better judgement, but is he capable? It's too easy to get sucked into that conspiranoid shit.

If you're stupid or gullible enough. Conspiraloon = not worth the time of day. Proclaiming yourself to be 'openminded' about batshit conspiraloonery = read rag to my anti-loon bull :hmm:

I don't like Russell Brand, his writing is intensely irritating and he strikes me as not nearly as smart as his vocabulary makes him think. He seems to have read plenty of books (?), but I'm not sure at all about his judgement of what he's read (see conspiraloonery above)

And as said above

PoorButNotaChav said:
I've been suspicious of Russell Brand's revolutionary campaign and the way the book has been published and promoted confirms my suspicions. He has millions of Twitter followers and he has his own website so free distribution or low-price sale were options in a way that they wouldn't be for a less well known political campaigner. However, he's signed a deal with a major publisher and the book has been released as a hardback in the run-up to Christmas. Why?

It's not about making money. It's not about getting his revolutionary message across to a wider audience. It's about getting Russell Brand on TV and in the newspapers which is something major publishing companies can help him do. It's an ego trip. It's attention seeking. Making another film, doing another stand-up tour or writing My Booky Wook 3 wouldn't make him stand out much so during a bout of cognitive dissonance he came up with the idea of becoming a revolutionary and a year on he's still not really thought the idea through. However, that's not important because he's having a go at Fox News again, he's on Newsnight again and he's in The Guardian again.

It's not about promoting revolution. It's about promoting Russell Brand.

Spot on really.

Last edited:
Anyone know exactly when Das kapital was published, I can get 1867, but I'm after the month- did Mr Marx have one eye on the the Xmas publishing market when he released his tome?

Anyone know exactly when Das kapital was published, I can get 1867, but I'm after the month- did Mr Marx have one eye on the the Xmas publishing market when he released his tome?

IIRC he just missed super-thursday, but the following year he got out the (Stephen Fry narrated) audio-book in good time for stocking fillers.

I mean in an extremely visible, mass collective way, where the people really enact change, and the government has no choice but to jail the bankers, change the laws, and eventually be dismantled.

Still unclear.

Nope. Like I always said, he is too much of a messer to be taken seriously, and doesnt want to be foisted onto any pedestal. As for violence? Not sure where you got that from. Russell Brand has always declared himself a pacifist - to the point of being a flower child hippy....

Whenever the word 'revolution' is mentioned, people will often claim it involves violence and will cite examples like the French Revolution and the Terror that followed.

I mean a quasi political movement that documents the anger of the times, like punk. Dont try and allude that a huge cultural shift has happened musically, under peoples nose and they havent yet cottoned onto it. It hasnt.

So what you're pining for is a new youth subculture. Is that it? As for the rest of your comment, it's balls. Aren't you the one who keeps claiming Pete Doherty and the Libertines are the new white hope? Laughable.

Part of the problem as I see it, is that many people want to join a movement, rather than co-create it. Some people are happier being followers, rather than taking responsibility for what they do - generally missing the point that if the state chooses to say that you're responsible, you'll be held responsible.
Brand is a match that might or might not light a flame. That's all. People who put faith in him being a great revolutionary leader miss the point: that it's not about following Russell, it's about acting for communal interests against those who'd strip you of them.
Sure but Cheesy is suggesting that he's the new messiah and we should follow him.

Still unclear.

Nowt unclear about saying that the protestors thus far havent made much of an impact.

Whenever the word 'revolution' is mentioned, people will often claim it involves violence and will cite examples like the French Revolution and the Terror that followed.

there has been violence in the past but neednt be that way. How it can be achieved without violence, but in a peaceful manner is Brand's manifesto i guess.

So what you're pining for is a new youth subculture. Is that it? As for the rest of your comment, it's balls. Aren't you the one who keeps claiming Pete Doherty and the Libertines are the new white hope? Laughable.

I'm not 'pining' for anything, but im suprised that the state of society hasnt fuelled more anger - or should i say fury - from musicians who have fire in their belly representing the disenfrancised.... there should have been a load of brilliant, angry bands documenting the state of the times - there hasnt been. Never heard of the ones you mentioned either.

Last edited:
Nowt unclear about saying that the protestors thus far havent made much of an impact.
So you're prepared to follow Brand? Groovy.

there has been violence in the past but needed be that way. How it can be achieved without violence, but in a peaceful manner is Brand's manifesto i guess.

Yes, but is Brand's book really a manifesto?

I'm not 'pining' for anything, but im suprised that the state of society hasnt fuelled more anger - or should i say fury - from musicians who have fire in their belly representing the disenfrancised.... there should have been a load of brilliant, angry bands documenting the state of the times - there hasnt been. Never heard of the ones you mentioned either.

There is anger out there. As for bands producing a musical response to the crisis, do you always have to wait until that music is in the charts or has caught your eye before it is seen as a valid response?

Loads of talk on here about the profits of his book without the recognition that he's using them all for charitable purposes, setting up some sort of foundation, I forget the details - I don't disagree that there is a huge element of self-promotion though

Back
Top Bottom