Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
The 2023 tournament, hosted by France, is just under 100 days away now.

The first match is on Friday 8th September when the hosts take on New Zealand. England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland are all in action over the first weekend. Think all the games will be on ITV :)

For the first time I can think of the two favourites - France (3 times losing finalists) and Ireland (yet to win a World Cup quarter final) - are from the Northern Hemisphere. New Zealand - flying under the radar a bit after a very iffy 2022 - and South Africa - reigning champions and masters of grinding teams down via their physicality at the set piece - should not be underestimated either. Argentina also had a bumper 2022 beating England and New Zealand away from home.

Due to changes in eligibility rules, a number of players of Pacific island heritage who had played international rugby for Australia or New Zealand or other nations in the past can now play again for Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. Hopefully at least one of them can take down a big name. Chile have qualified for the first time having beaten USA in a playoff, and Japan can’t be forgotten given their exploits at the last two tournaments.

Australia, England and Wales have changed coaches in the last year so hard to predict what might happen… Except actually it might not - as due to the rankings at the time the draw was made, these three sides find themselves on the “easy” side of the draw with a not in achievable route to the final. Compare that to Ireland, who have to play Scotland and South Africa in their pool - they are all ranked in the top 5 - but only two can qualify for the quarter finals, where they will likely meet either France or New Zealand :eek:

There’s still a lot of rugby to play before it all kicks off - such as domestic rugby still being played in France, Australia and New Zealand. In July and August the southern hemisphere teams will play their regional international tournaments, and then August sees the warm up games.

Initial training squads are starting to be named by some of the teams - with the Wales squad in particular providing bombshell after bombshells as several big names - amongst them Alun Wyn Jones - have either retired or stood themselves down from selection by taking contracts overseas. It seems that Welsh rugby being in permacrisis and the fact that the team is of a very poor standard hasn’t made for a happy camp and a lot of senior players have clearly had enough.

I will be in Marseille with 6 mates for the first weekend to take in England v Argentina and Scotland v South Africa. Very excited - I cannot wait :cool:

Last edited:
I’m really excited by the eligibility changes. It’s worrying because Ireland’s group just got harder with Fekitoa and Falau (who despite his bullshit beliefs is an incredible rugby player) I’m starting to think that win or lose against the saffas the Tonga game is the critical one.

I think Fiji are semi final outside bet and I really hope Samoa show up like they did in 2007. Paul Williams try for Samoa against the saffas is one of all time favourites.

Pretty certain it’s always on ITV

England initial training squad should be named tomorrow, torygraph reporting Danny Care will be in the mix which is a bit of a shock

As predicted Care and Mercer in. Sam Simmonds, formerly of Exeter but now off to Montpellier next season and hence not eligible after for England selection after the World Cup has ruled himself out. He was probably going to be on the bench at best.

His French club have probably offered him some extra money to do so or maybe it’s something in his contract - they have form for doing this with pacific island players.

This squad doesn’t necessarily mean much really though as anyone who played in the playoffs is excluded as they need to have a 5 week mandatory post season rest period. Given all the recently capped scrum halves were in the playoffs so that is likely why we see Danny Care and Ben Spencer - last England appearance in the 2019 World Cup final - recalled.

I don't really follow rugby much but New Zealand are a bit rubbish these days right?

I'd like an excuse to go to Lille though, might mobilise the troops.

Great work by the angry Ron Weasley to stop the Irish from scoring. He’s a very good player.

Still we seem not as sharp as we were back in the 6n. Can’t help but feeling that prendergsst not converting will cost us.

Great work by the angry Ron Weasley to stop the Irish from scoring. He’s a very good player.

Still we seem not as sharp as we were back in the 6n. Can’t help but feeling that prendergsst not converting will cost us.

Wish I'd been able to watch the whole thing, wasn't expecting that result tbh, you were really cracking during the 6N, expected England to lose by quite a bit.

Angry Ron Weasley is quality.

Having only beaten Wales by 1, NZ are then put to the sword by a France side featuring 19 year old, 6'4" and 23 fucking stone Posolo Tuilagi, yep another one of them (Henry's son iirc)

Not sure how indicative u20 performance is in terms of things to come for the senior game, but Italy and Georgia are also both doing really good things, beating SA and Argentina respectively (Although earlier Italy got stuffed by Argentina and Georgia lost to SA so go figure)

Yeah I noticed all the NH teams won yesterday. Perhaps there being an annual U20 6 nations tournament?

I saw a clip of Posolo Tuilagi and he seemed unstoppable.

Yeah I noticed all the NH teams won yesterday. Perhaps there being an annual U20 6 nations tournament?

I saw a clip of Posolo Tuilagi and he seemed unstoppable.

Can't hurt for sure, but as noted above, nothing guaranteed.

It seems to me that with the U20 games it's even more how the team is feeling - and who's available/picked - on any given day

Rumours that Stuart Hogg has been sent home from the Scotland World Cup training squad and told not to come back for coming back late after a break having been on a 3 day bender.

Looking forward to the Rugby Championship beginning today. A chance to see how the 4 big southern hemisphere teams are shaping up, particularly as all of the home nations play pool matches against them. Just three rounds of games this year as the tournament is truncated in World Cup year.

First up today is Eddie Jones’s Australia against South Africa high on the veldt in Pretoria. If they win at altitude against the world champions, then that’s a huge statement. The Springboks have already sent a lot of their squad over to New Zealand ahead of their next match so they will be a little below strength.

Later on it’s New Zealand travelling to the heart of Malbec country, Mendoza to take on Argentina. You’d think New Zealand should win this, but they’ve lost twice to Argentina recently, can the Pumas get a first home win against the All Blacks? If Argentina win I won’t fancy England's chance of beating them in the World Cup. New Zealand are trying out Damian McKenzie, on top form in super rugby, at fly half.

I think both games could be crackers :)

Looking forward to the Rugby Championship beginning today. A chance to see how the 4 big southern hemisphere teams are shaping up, particularly as all of the home nations play pool matches against them. Just three rounds of games this year as the tournament is truncated in World Cup year.

First up today is Eddie Jones’s Australia against South Africa high on the veldt in Pretoria. If they win at altitude against the world champions, then that’s a huge statement. The Springboks have already sent a lot of their squad over to New Zealand ahead of their next match so they will be a little below strength.

Later on it’s New Zealand travelling to the heart of Malbec country, Mendoza to take on Argentina. You’d think New Zealand should win this, but they’ve lost twice to Argentina recently, can the Pumas get a first home win against the All Blacks? If Argentina win I won’t fancy England's chance of beating them in the World Cup. New Zealand are trying out Damian McKenzie, on top form in super rugby, at fly half.

I think both games could be crackers :)

I love McKenzie. He'd walk into any other international side I'd say (except maybe Ireland). Unfortunately for him he's got a certain other bloke in front of him at the moment. His running from broken play is incredible. And for such a tiny bloke, just seems to get up after being hammered by a huge forward and back in position.

Should be cracking games, you're right. Southern hem rugby is just so much more fun than up here.

Back
Top Bottom