Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ridiculous Bans etc of Stuff Considered to be dangerously 'Russian'

Tchaikovsky, Dostoyevski and now poor old Karl Marx. What the fuck next for these bell ends?
Yep

The Dostoyevsky course is going ahead though, due to a backlash.

The Bolshoi Ballet has been booted out by the Royal Opera House though

I would approach some of these with care tbh - I don't think I have too much of a problem with cancelling a performance of a piece of music that celebrates a Russian military victory complete with cannons while there's actual Russian cannons being fired in Ukraine for example. I wouldn't be bothered if it went ahead either but it seems a reasonable enough decision.

Not really a ban, but ...

But even these latter gestures haven't gone unnoticed, and now, one of the world's most iconic vodka brands will be officially changing its name (outside of Russia, at least). Stolichnaya Vodka — the version produced by the Stoli Group — will now simply be called Stoli Vodka.

Stoli Group wrote that this rebrand ending its use of the full Stolichnaya name came as a "direct response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine" with three factors playing into the decision: "the founder's vehement position on the Putin regime; the Stoli employees determination to take action; and the desire to accurately represent Stoli's roots in Latvia."

Back
Top Bottom