Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ridiculous Bans etc of Stuff Considered to be dangerously 'Russian'

I would approach some of these with care tbh - I don't think I have too much of a problem with cancelling a performance of a piece of music that celebrates a Russian military victory complete with cannons while there's actual Russian cannons being fired in Ukraine for example. I wouldn't be bothered if it went ahead either but it seems a reasonable enough decision.
You're wrong. It's daft. And that may have been a military victory for Russia, but it was one that was defensive.

The 12 I have of Unfinished Sympathy is credited to Massive.

Same with my copy of Blue Lines

ukretailvinyl2-1304265398.jpg

The guy had Ukranian musicians from his orchestra telling him they weren't into playing it. Should he have told them they were wrong and daft?

Either way, I think if you find yourself in agreement with Brendam O'neil, you should maybe have a closer look at what it is you're arguing.

1648052672463.png

As with almost all cancellings, there's a wide range of things covered - some genuine stupidity & malice perhaps, but also some well meaning if gauche attempts at solidarity, some situations which are much more complex and arguable once you dig into them, and some companies making commercial decisions.

Also don't have much of a problem with boycotting Russian cultural institutions like the Bolshoi etc
Saw an excellent production of Rigoletto at the Bolshoi in '92, I was on a package holiday to Russia and the Baltic states and in st Petersburg one of the tourists got tickets at the rouble price rather than tourist one, which worked out at 12.5p as opposed to $10.

I would approach some of these with care tbh - I don't think I have too much of a problem with cancelling a performance of a piece of music that celebrates a Russian military victory complete with cannons while there's actual Russian cannons being fired in Ukraine for example. I wouldn't be bothered if it went ahead either but it seems a reasonable enough decision.
That's when they were our friends tho and getting general winter to kill all the frenchies

Either way, I think if you find yourself in agreement with Brendam O'neil, you should maybe have a closer look at what it is you're arguing.

View attachment 315584

As with almost all cancellings, there's a wide range of things covered - some genuine stupidity & malice perhaps, but also some well meaning if gauche attempts at solidarity, some situations which are much more complex and arguable once you dig into them, and some companies making commercial decisions.
I've been cancelled by that cunt, Brendan O'Neill. I'd like to give him a Soviet send-off like the one Laika had.

Whatever, I don't really care either way - play it or don't play it, I don't give a shit. I just think it's a more complex situation than the headlines imply, and it often is elsewhere. The fact that the orchestra's response is buried at the bottom of the article after most people have stopped reading and gone off to rage about it on twitter suggests the writer is more interested in the rage clicks/shares than a balanced story too.

Definitely sounds like the decision was a lot more complex than just canceling Tchaikovsky because he's Russian.

Linda Robinson, a teacher who is one of the directors, said Cardiff’s decision was made in consultation with the venue, St David’s Hall, and rejected what she said had been a depiction by some critics of the decision as “anti-Russian”. In fact, three concerts this year will include work by Russian composers, including Sergei Prokofiev and Sergei Rachmaninoff.

"It was nothing to do with Tchaikovsky being Russian. It was much more to do with us deciding that it was inappropriate at the present time, given that some pieces are military themed and they come with the sound of a volley of cannon fire.”

Also sounds like the evening went well.

The replacement concert had at its heart an air of optimism tempered by a sense of melancholy and introspection.

It was a calm, dignified and touching tribute to the beleaguered people of Ukraine which saw the orchestra’s founder and conductor, Michael Bell, leading his musicians with his usual understated authority.

Definitely sounds like the decision was a lot more complex than just canceling Tchaikovsky because he's Russian.

Linda Robinson, a teacher who is one of the directors, said Cardiff’s decision was made in consultation with the venue, St David’s Hall, and rejected what she said had been a depiction by some critics of the decision as “anti-Russian”. In fact, three concerts this year will include work by Russian composers, including Sergei Prokofiev and Sergei Rachmaninoff.

"It was nothing to do with Tchaikovsky being Russian. It was much more to do with us deciding that it was inappropriate at the present time, given that some pieces are military themed and they come with the sound of a volley of cannon fire.”

Also sounds like the evening went well.

The replacement concert had at its heart an air of optimism tempered by a sense of melancholy and introspection.

It was a calm, dignified and touching tribute to the beleaguered people of Ukraine which saw the orchestra’s founder and conductor, Michael Bell, leading his musicians with his usual understated authority.

Fair play if it's about the bangs. Maybe not so daft then.

I knew that vodka brands like "Tsar Peter the Great's Moscow Red Square Bolshoi Ballet Double-Headed Eagle Vodka" were usually made on industrial estates in Western countries, but I didn't realise until recently that I've probably never even tried genuine Russian vodka.
The best vodka I've had was arkhi, from mongolia

During World War Two The National Gallery in London was occupied by Myra Hess, despite the fact that she'd been named after Hitler's deputy Fuhrer and a Mancunian serial killer she got away with playing 1,700 concerts almost all of which were dominated by enemy music (Beethoven, Bach, Mozart etc)

Sorry to break news of this treachery to you killer b.

I knew that vodka brands like "Tsar Peter the Great's Moscow Red Square Bolshoi Ballet Double-Headed Eagle Vodka" were usually made on industrial estates in Western countries, but I didn't realise until recently that I've probably never even tried genuine Russian vodka.

the best vodka I've had was Zyr, which is real rosssian, so try that. but i've had awful rosssian vodkas too.

Back
Top Bottom