Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ridiculous Bans etc of Stuff Considered to be dangerously 'Russian'

I would approach some of these with care tbh - I don't think I have too much of a problem with cancelling a performance of a piece of music that celebrates a Russian military victory complete with cannons while there's actual Russian cannons being fired in Ukraine for example. I wouldn't be bothered if it went ahead either but it seems a reasonable enough decision.

That makes a lot more sense than just banning all of Tchaikovsky.

A lot of it seems like either an over-reaction or possibly actual xenophobia, though. I went past a Russian restaurant the other day that had a sign up outside saying that 10% of all profits would go to the DEC, but it looked like nobody was in there. Lots of Russians even inside Russia are against this invasion, let alone the ones who've left the country.

A lot after the reporting of this is if very "Winterval" like. When you read the detail it is a lot more complex and reasonable than the headline makes out. Whether you agree or not in the end it is rarely easy to dismiss as just stupid.

Stoli was OK back in the day but is vile oily shit made in Latvia these days to get around the EU block on Russian goods. Its awful. The Icelandic Reyka shows how much Voddy has improved over the years.

I still like Lada and moskvitches becuase I am a twat. I posted in the motors thread about a bloke in blackheath who was importing real new Lada Nivas for sale for about 20K or so - looks to be having a fire sale now at cost £14k. I kinda would but no yeah no.

Baltika beer is meh. only worth picking up if its on special.

Alyonka red october chocolate is nice but its hardly for sale at the local costcutter

Struggling to think of any russian goods that I would have any interest in using tbh. maybe an AK, but its hard to get a decent russian one these days, the market is flooded with random copies made to even lower standards that the soviets used to consider acceptable

I was going to say "can't see Baltika being on special much any time soon", but on reflection maybe loads of places will have it on special to get rid of stock they won't be able to shift otherwise. Uh, anyone a big caviar fan?

I was going to say "can't see Baltika being on special much any time soon", but on reflection maybe loads of places will have it on special to get rid of stock they won't be able to shift otherwise. Uh, anyone a big caviar fan?
Is that vodka and caviar place by the Ritz still there? If so I hope this does for it

I'm not sure this is one of Urban's areas of expertise...

You’d be surprised…:hmm:

It is. Caviar House Prunier. Amazed they made it through the pandemic as most of their shops are in airports.

Wonder will this do for them?

I wonder how this will affect ridership of Disneyworld's Putin Island Experience.

You’d be surprised…:hmm:

It is. Caviar House Prunier. Amazed they made it through the pandemic as most of their shops are in airports.

Wonder will this do for them?

We're chums with Iran now, so they'll start stressing the fact that caviar is a Persian delicacy

Back
Top Bottom