Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pro Cycling 2023

What's happening - aren't people watching, isn't there enough ad revenue? Ironic if so, as I'd say most people would say the tours have been better then last 5 years than peak Skytrain.

Yeah, just mildly conflating two points. I think the only other option was ITV for some races, highlights for others? I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the parameters of the change are. May be much the same, just as Discovery+, but I suspect there will also be a bunch of staffing cuts, perhaps cuts in rights budgets etc.
I hope they don't axe the likes of Le Samyn, Too Bro Leon and other smaller category races. And keep the full cyclocross season. I can live without MTB, track and gravel though they could well probably prioritise those.
There's a few documentaries on GCN+ I need to watch before it shuts - or maybe those will be available on globalcyclingnetwork.com in among the Top Gear wannabe crap.
Finally, I'd willingly pay the extra if they promoted Dan Lloyd and Matt Stephens and sacked Rob Hatch.

Reactions: Cid
Won't it be just the same commentators but now on Eurosport? I only got round to switching to GCN+ this year.. and agree it was good coverage.

Does eurosport have adverts in the coverage? The lack of ads on GCN was a plus

Carbide lathe cutting inserts. I did also acquire a lathe tbf.

Last edited:
So, GCN Subscibers, what are you going to do next season? Just subscribe to the inferior service of Discovery+?

That's twice the price isn't it.. used to be able to get Eurosport for £40 a year.. :confused:

Most of the rest of it looks like the sort of shite you end up watching on long-haul flights.

Last day of GCN+ is 19 Dec :(

Just got this email from them offering 3 months free of Discovery+ is you subscribe before 31 Dec

"The good news is that live cycling races are available on discovery+. As a gesture of our appreciation and to compensate you for the inconvenience of the closure of GCN+, we would like to offer you a voucher code to discovery+. With this voucher you will get a subscription to the Standard plan of discovery+ for the first 3 months at no cost starting from the date of your code redemption. xxxxx must be redeemed at https://auth.discoveryplus.com/redeem by 31 Dec 2023. After the promotional period your subscription will convert to a paid subscription and will automatically renew each month at the then-current monthly price (now £6.99) inclusive of VAT, unless cancelled prior to renewal. Terms and Conditions* apply."

Last edited:
Last day of GCN+ is 19 Dec :(

Just got this email from them offering 3 months free of Discovery+ is you subscribe before 31 Dec

"The good news is that live cycling races are available on discovery+. As a gesture of our appreciation and to compensate you for the inconvenience of the closure of GCN+, we would like to offer you a voucher code to discovery+. With this voucher you will get a subscription to the Standard plan of discovery+ for the first 3 months at no cost starting from the date of your code redemption. must be redeemed at https://auth.discoveryplus.com/redeem by 31 Dec 2023. After the promotional period your subscription will convert to a paid subscription and will automatically renew each month at the then-current monthly price (now £6.99) inclusive of VAT, unless cancelled prior to renewal. Terms and Conditions* apply."
I wouldn't post the code as presumably someone less scrupulous could nick it and use it!

Last edited:
I wouldn't want any of you to miss this
BBC News - BBC iPlayer - Imposter Syndrome - Series 1: 1. Sir Bradley Wiggins
Bradley Wiggins: Tour de France win driven by father's jealousy - Wiggins' Tour win 'driven' by father's jealousy
I don't know if you were being sarcastic when you said you wouldn't want for people to miss it, but I just watched that, and found it incredibly emotional. I'll be honest i actually shed a tear or two. I could have watched an hour of that.

Not sure we learn much about Pogi in this ride/interview. He's a young talented cyclist where English isn't his first language.
Lovely to see the azur of the Mediterranean in these dark gloomy days.

The one with Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig is great.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic when you said you wouldn't want for people to miss it, but I just watched that, and found it incredibly emotional. I'll be honest i actually shed a tear or two. I could have watched an hour of that.

That was great. I went to see him at Wimbledon Theatre in 2019... which he refers to as when he was really fucked up... and it did seem like an odd-evening of reminiscing and real-time therapy.

Hats off to him though. If you liked that you'd probably like the Netflix biopic on Ronnie O'Sullivan 'The Edge of Everything'...

Discovery+ working okay so far. Been watching all the holiday cyclocross mostly on demand. Bad news is that Hatch is back, due to commentate on the New Years Day race; cue a loud "NO, NO, NO" when someone does a mudslide at 10kph. Damn the failed football commentator.
On a positive thought, watching MvdP has been sublime.

Have only just watched it. Interesting and quite sad.

Anyone else been enjoying the holiday cyclocross season? Usually when one rider is so utterly dominant in a sport it becomes a bore but MvdP just looks so serene on his bike while van Aert, Pidcrash and the others have looked wrecked. in their fight to get on the podium.

National CX champs on the telly today if anyone wants to watch. Junior and elite/under 23 races are being streamed on iPlayer, the BBC Sport Scotland page and British Cycling's YouTube channel starting at 9.25. I'll be watching the juniors especially because the current Scottish male champion and last year's U16 British champion was one of our work experience kids this year. Two customers in the elite women's, several in the vets and three in the youth tomorrow too.

Back
Top Bottom