Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

it was though, the Lib Dems were enthusiastic participants in the coalition government.
Following the Tory 'austerity' agenda. They got a vote on PR that they lost (remember that? Few people do. :D), they got fixed term parliaments, which has already been ditched. and, um... They weren't in control of a single major government department. Oh, except 'business'. What does the business secretary even do?

Alan Boulton on Sky thinks there's a good chance the party will whittle it down to two, the least popular will drop out, and a new leader will take over before the summer recess, meaning bye, bye Boris.

This, of course, is the logical thing to do now.
Does make wonder what the point of conservative party membership actully is....if you don't get a say on policy or leadership

Following the Tory 'austerity' agenda. They got a vote on PR that they lost (remember that? Few people do. :D), they got fixed term parliaments, which has already been ditched. and, um... They weren't in control of a single major government department. Oh, except 'business'. What does the business secretary even do?
the agenda was theirs too.

10p for a plastic bag. The totemic Lib Dem policy of the austerity era (didn't they trade this for the bedroom tax or something odious?).

My fear here is that, seen from the pov of the Conservative Party, Johnson represents another successful chapter, an unbroken link in power from 2010.

First they had to 'share' power with the libdems, but it wasn't sharing at all and it destroyed the libdems to be part of it. Then they solved the internal eurosceptic problem with the Brexit vote, neutralising UKIP at the same time, then they solved the remainer problem with Johnson. Each time they have been able to jettison the incumbent mid-term with time to regroup and win the next election. If they do that again, then from a CP point of view, Johnson will have been a success.
fuck me that's in batshit conspiracy land. who is this 'they' you're talking of, who managed to swing the referendum for leave and succeeded in dumping cameron?

... in fact, 'he just can't fucking stop himself' has been the theme of the last few years, right through the tens of thousands of Covid deaths through to today.

"[W]e must keep levelling up, keep unleashing the potential of every part of the United Kingdom, and if we can do that in this country, we will be the most prosperous in Europe."

Record use of food banks, broken NHS, people overworked for shit pay, identical half-empty high streets, underfunded education system, cuts, cuts, cuts. Storm the fucking barricades.

My fear here is that, seen from the pov of the Conservative Party, Johnson represents another successful chapter, an unbroken link in power from 2010.

First they had to 'share' power with the libdems, but it wasn't sharing at all and it destroyed the libdems to be part of it. Then they solved the internal eurosceptic problem with the Brexit vote, neutralising UKIP at the same time, then they solved the remainer problem with Johnson. Each time they have been able to jettison the incumbent mid-term with time to regroup and win the next election. If they do that again, then from a CP point of view, Johnson will have been a success.

Somehow the next conservative regime is seen as a fresh new party despite erm, many of the cabinet being in it last time.

Absolute shambles

AV not PR. AV is shit and the campaigning was spectacularly lacklustre even by its proponents.

Just heard a Don Valley resident (with a proper working class accent) bemoaning the loss of Bojo and expressing concern about who's "gunna rule" us next! Struggling to articulate how listening to this made me feel (as a former Yorkshire type). There is a lot wrong with the world imho. Pass the bottle.

the agenda was theirs too.
Either way, that doesn't change the fact that the Tories got to do exactly what they wanted having taken control of every significant government department, then followed it up with an outright win in the next election. Seen from a Conservative Party pov, those were good years.

Either way, that doesn't change the fact that the Tories got to do exactly what they wanted having taken control of every significant government department, then followed it up with an outright win in the next election. Seen from a Conservative Party pov, those were good years.
sure, but it's important not to let the Lib Dems off the hook - otherwise you find yourself in ludicrous positions like imagining they could be part of some kind of 'progressive alliance'

"[W]e must keep levelling up, keep unleashing the potential of every part of the United Kingdom, and if we can do that in this country, we will be the most prosperous in Europe."

Record use of food banks, broken NHS, people overworked for shit pay, identical half-empty high streets, underfunded education system, cuts, cuts, cuts. Storm the fucking barricades.

Don't forget the worst economic growth rate in Europe - 0.0%.

I mean, I think growth rates are an unsustainable and bullshit way to measure progress anyway. But even for someone who doesn't give a shit about all the appalling social decay and destruction you've referred to, zero growth demonstrates that this shower haven't even succeeded at the one fucking thing Tories are supposed to be good at* and think matters.

* although they're in good company, given that sooner or later every Tory government tanks the economy in complete contradiction to their supposed ability to manage it well.

sure, but it's important not to let the Lib Dems off the hook - otherwise you find yourself in ludicrous positions like imagining they could be part of some kind of 'progressive alliance'

To be fair, saying whatever the people they're currently in bed with want to hear is the Lib Dems one great skill, so they'd probably be as effective-slash-inconsequential (delete as appropriate) in a 'progressive alliance' as they were in the coalition.

Just heard a Don Valley resident (with a proper working class accent) bemoaning the loss of Bojo and expressing concern about who's "gunna rule" us next! Struggling to articulate how listening to this made me feel (as a former Yorkshire type). There is a lot wrong with the world imho. Pass the bottle.

I don't think that denigrating voters is terribly productive. They voted for Johnson because they regarded the Labour offering as worse.

I don't think that denigrating voters is terribly productive. They voted for Johnson because they regarded the Labour offering as worse.

How is expressing frustration at working-class people imagining the Tories give a fuck about them denigrating anyone?

(I don't disagree that Labour bears as much if not more responsibility for creating a situation in which wc Don Valley residents could even consider voting Tory, though)

Back
Top Bottom