Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

Worth it for the description ‘Behold the king of Twatlantis’ alone :D

I thought this was the most interesting bit of the article - something I suspected anyway, but useful to have it confirmed.

Backstage, insiders took something of a different line. As a source close to government thinking told the New Statesman: “They never expected the flight to take off. The point of the exercise was to create dividing lines ahead of the next election, which is going to be fought, in part, on a manifesto pledge to leave the European court of human rights and repeal the Human Rights Act.”

The use of the word odious is pretty strong for someone like this.
It's particularly nice when rich and respected people write snotty letters, as they don't have to worry about references or getting another job. They're able to call a spade a spade.

This was his tipping point. What was it about?
This week, however, I was tasked to offer a view about the Government's intention to consider measures which risk a deliberate and purposeful breach of the Ministerial Code. This request has placed me in an impossible and odious position. My informal response on Monday was that you and any other Minister should justify openly your position vis-3-vis the Code in such circumstances However, the idea that a Prime Minister might to any degree be in the business of deliberately breaching his own Code is an affront.

Was it really about steel tariffs or what?

This was his tipping point. What was it about?

Was it really about steel tariffs or what?
I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sounds like he's been largely ignored since starting in the job, and miscommunication blamed when his advice has been ignored.

...and those steel tariffs are illegal tariffs. Extending them (again) would be another breach of WTO terms (which are international treaties.)

I think protecting the british steel industry via (even illegal) steel tariffs is probably something that would have wide support in the country - maybe donors might have put some pressure on, but it has it's own logic outside pure corruption.

I think protecting the british steel industry via (even illegal) steel tariffs is probably something that would have wide support in the country - maybe donors might have put some pressure on, but it has it's own logic outside pure corruption.
True, but I'm not convinced that the Johnson regime operates anywhere beyond pure corruption, let alone with logic.

Johnson has a nose for populist politics that goes far beyond rewarding cronies, as evidenced by his substantial parliamentary majority
I think it's fair to say that he may have done in the past, (although I suspect that much of that reputation rests on client press mythologising & the single "populist" issue of getting the thing done), but in power his nose appears more finely tuned to corruption opportunities.

He was in power before the 2019 election too though, and threatening to break treaties to protect domestic industries and the like was exactly the kind of thing he was up to in the run up to the election he resoundingly won.

Maybe this time it's just that he's corrupt though. I suppose it could all be that simple.

Corruption and the UK

This says:

The UK is a hub for dirty money from around the world.

This money is obtained from criminal activity like:
  • bribery
  • theft of state funds
  • misuse of public office
It is acquired with the aid of companies incorporated in the UK and in its offshore financial centres.

It is invested into luxury UK property, and used to buy access to prestigious institutions and privileged lifestyles.

The scale of dirty money entering the UK is unknown, but experts estimate it is likely to be in excess of tens of billions of pounds annually.

Indeed, but given that support for the steel industry in general is fairly popular I doubt it would have crossed Johnson's mind to consult Guite about it. It's something else - donor pressure/party donations/personal support might be closer to it.

Was just looking at this corruption index out of curiosity.
How the hell is the UK worked out to be the 11th least corrupt country in the world (as of Dec 2021)? Idgi. :confused:
(Scroll right down the page.)

Ranked: most corrupt countries in the world
Because it's all effectively allowed here. Paying off an MP? Remember to declare it in the register of members' interests. Dodging taxes? There's an official term for doing that legally. Bunging money to the ruling government in exchange for special treatment? Hey we just casually admit the money was paid and say it's not a quid pro quo. Actively breaking the law? No worries there's no-one left in the relevant department to record anything's happening anyway and investigative journalism is all but dead, so who's going to catch it?

Indeed, but given that support for the steel industry in general is fairly popular I doubt it would have crossed Johnson's mind to consult Guite about it. It's something else - donor pressure/party donations/personal support might be closer to it.
the current tariffs run out at the end of the month and the regulator is saying it's illegal - is that not reason enough for them to consult the guy?

the current tariffs run out at the end of the month and the regulator is saying it's illegal - is that not reason enough for them to consult the guy?
If we were dealing with a normal person, perhaps - but here popular opinion was behind it anyway so it didn't look as if he was going to be challenged by the usual suspects. See eg

BTW, which particular section of the code do you reckon they would have breached if they went ahead? I can't decide.

Back
Top Bottom