Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

Just in case nobody else has done this yet...

49218890701_34cd24f6c9_z.jpg

Could the uk be the 3rd smallest island with 3 land and a sea border?

Will there be jam tomorrow?, look, look deeper into the fridge.

So, while Labour and the left are busy asking themselves where it all went wrong and what next, Johnson made his first two policy announcements yesterday. One sounds like something but is nothing; the other sounds like nothing but is something.

First up he said he would write into law his promise to protect the NHS. This appears to be something in the Queen's Speech committing to increase spending on the NHS by £33.9 bn by 2023/24. Sounds great, but... spending isn't what the election argument was about; it was selling it to the US. Is this money to pay the extra cost of medicine after the US trade deal? Does this include the money for the extra 32,000/50,000 nurses and 5/20/40/whatever new hospitals? Excuse me if I still dont feel the NHS is safe.

Second, he's going to reorganize the Civil Service a bit. Who cares about that? New governments often rearrange Civil Service departments. Also, he'll make it easier to hire and fire senior civil servants so he can get the job done. The Times report he may abolish whole departments and replace them with 'outside experts'. This appears to amount to the wholesale politicisation of the Civil Service. That would be the biggest change to the CS since 1870. Sir Humphrey being obstructive? Sack him and replace him with Malcolm Tucker. The whole department telling you your policy is rubbish? Abolish it and get your favourite think tank to tell you what you want to hear. Now, there's a debate to be had whether a partisan civil service is a good idea - they do it like that in other countries. But at the moment it looks like being done on a whim by Dominic Cummings.

With Labour and the left busy looking at themselves is anyone going to be scrutinising what Johnson's new government gets up to?

Boris certainly does seem to be amoral. Anyone have a reference to (as I recall) a Jeremy Hardy quote where he said he could see Boris herding people into a football stadium and machine gunning them? I may have made up the machine gunning but it was definitely along those lines.

Boris certainly does seem to be amoral. Anyone have a reference to (as I recall) a Jeremy Hardy quote where he said he could see Boris herding people into a football stadium and machine gunning them? I may have made up the machine gunning but it was definitely along those lines.
Rugby stadiums. But yes to machine guns.

Second, he's going to reorganize the Civil Service a bit. Who cares about that? New governments often rearrange Civil Service departments. Also, he'll make it easier to hire and fire senior civil servants so he can get the job done. The Times report he may abolish whole departments and replace them with 'outside experts'. This appears to amount to the wholesale politicisation of the Civil Service. That would be the biggest change to the CS since 1870. Sir Humphrey being obstructive? Sack him and replace him with Malcolm Tucker. The whole department telling you your policy is rubbish? Abolish it and get your favourite think tank to tell you what you want to hear. Now, there's a debate to be had whether a partisan civil service is a good idea - they do it like that in other countries. But at the moment it looks like being done on a whim by Dominic Cummings.

Johnson's finally nailed the real problem with this country, namely that we don't piss away nearly enough money on carpetbagging consultants.

That being said, we did have civil servants saying they would actively hinder a Corbyn government so maybe the status quo isn't great either.

Rugby stadiums. But yes to machine guns.

And I see on a Mark Steel twitter thread someone said "remember Jeremy Hardy said Boris wouldn’t hesitate to round everyone up into a stadium and machine gun every one despite his silly mop top thing "

So, while Labour and the left are busy asking themselves where it all went wrong and what next, Johnson made his first two policy announcements yesterday. One sounds like something but is nothing; the other sounds like nothing but is something.

First up he said he would write into law his promise to protect the NHS. This appears to be something in the Queen's Speech committing to increase spending on the NHS by £33.9 bn by 2023/24. Sounds great, but... spending isn't what the election argument was about; it was selling it to the US. Is this money to pay the extra cost of medicine after the US trade deal? Does this include the money for the extra 32,000/50,000 nurses and 5/20/40/whatever new hospitals? Excuse me if I still dont feel the NHS is safe.

With Labour and the left busy looking at themselves is anyone going to be scrutinising what Johnson's new government gets up to?

John Mcdonnell hasnt give up

Back
Top Bottom