Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Plane crashes onto A27 at Shoreham Air Show

Airshows are popular. Safer airshows, only over the oceans to minimise the risks to the public, wouldn't make them less popular.

Expert said it so it must be true.

Serious answer, an awful lot of people can fit in a field/seafront. I just googled it and found this:

http://www.sunderlandlive.co.uk/news/record-numbers-attend-sunderland-international-airshow-

The company, who organise the event on behalf of Sunderland City Council, have announced the Airshow’s highest attendance figure to date with an estimated 950,000 people visiting the Sunderland seafront to witness the 26th year of the landmark event.

I did read somewhere that it's the second most popular UK event after football, which seemed unlikely at first, but nationally there are a lot each year.

One of the biggest airshows, Farnborough (which is no where near the sea btw), attracted 109,000 visitors for the first five days, and 100,000 for the weekend in 2012. These events are VERY popular.

What is wrong with having contempt for the military?

A healthy attitude if there ever was one and it certainly beats US style hero worship for the military (which seems to be on the increase in Britain) or geeky drooling over machines of war as the "beauty to human artifice". Try telling the victims of these technological terrors that they are beautiful.
I agree with you regarding the military. I don't drool over machines of war but I am none the less overwhelmed sometimes by military planes flying overhead. I can't explain that but it is a fact.
I also feel the same when I see ships. Even shitty cruise liners :oops:

One of the biggest airshows, Farnborough (which is no where near the sea btw), attracted 109,000 visitors for the first five days, and 100,000 for the weekend in 2012. These events are VERY popular.

So what. Old Trafford gets 76,000 every fortnight and it's just one stadium. The idea that airshows are a big deal is bollocks. Add up total visits to airshows and compare them with total visits to football games over a year and let's see if the ratio is about 1-100 or 1-1000.

It is perfectly possible to hold more than one idea in ones mind simultaneously mauvais (although you may have some difficulty in this area).

For example, my contempt for the military hierarches is as genuine as my concern for public safety.

It is entirely legitimate and reasonable to expect that public airshows are effectively and safely organised. If the military get in the way of this basic requirement (because of their gung ho attitudes), then they should be subject to legislative intervention. Basic stuff really.

So what. Old Trafford gets 76,000 every fortnight and it's just one stadium. The idea that airshows are a big deal is bollocks. Add up total visits to airshows and compare them with total visits to football games over a year and let's see if the ratio is about 1-100 or 1-1000.
Google "airshow" and "most popular". In the US it's apparently third after horses and baseball, before motorsport and American football.

It is perfectly possible to hold more than one idea in ones mind simultaneously mauvais (although you may have some difficulty in this area).
I'm sure it is. Just don't expect to link your two thoughts into a narrative with no basis in fact and not be called on it.

Personally I have no great love for the military, or the defence industry. If I had less than contempt for the latter, I would very likely be working in it, which in my life I've deliberately avoided several times at personal expense. I think a total contempt for the military is simplistic and politically naive, but whatever. Regardless I don't try and apply my opinion on the matter to somewhere it doesn't really belong. Plus it would help if you had some domain knowledge on the issue.

i think i'll reserve the right to comment on any matter of public concern without either reference to you, or having any expertise in any particular "domain" mauvais.

If that's OK?

i think i'll reserve the right to comment on any matter of public concern without either reference to you, or having any expertise in any particular "domain" mauvais.

If that's OK?
Of course. And I'll reserve the right - is there any paperwork? - to call you an idiot any time you spout out idiocy.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sh-age-of-plane-not-be-to-blame-expert-claims

Expert bloke said: “Airshows are the biggest spectator sport in this country – more people go live to airshows than go to football."

So not exactly a minority interest as some would make out.
He goes on to say
“Those people died in an event which is equivalent to being struck by lightning. The pilot wasn’t aiming at the road and there’s a lot of territory where the road isn’t.”
He doesn't sound very experty :hmm:

I agree with you regarding the military. I don't drool over machines of war but I am none the less overwhelmed sometimes by military planes flying overhead. I can't explain that but it is a fact.
I also feel the same when I see ships. Even shitty cruise liners :oops:

I'm just not into being into the military, it is as simple as that. I like feats of non-military engineering be it the ISS, the Hoover dam or the huge oil tankers and cruise liners that I use to see as a kid going across the Straights of Gibraltar. But the whole 'cool' factor around military hardware is promoted heavily to keep public opinion behind the military and the wars it wages and that alone is enough to put me off.

Yeah, but it's largely the same 76,000 every fortnight. Airshows might be in with a chance if the count is of discrete individuals, maybe.

I'm just not into being into the military, it is as simple as that. I like feats of non-military engineering be it the ISS, the Hoover dam or the huge oil tankers and cruise liners that I use to see as a kid going across the Straights of Gibraltar. But the whole 'cool' factor around military hardware is promoted heavily to keep public opinion behind the military and the wars it wages and that alone is enough to put me off.
I totally get that. I have no idea why I get so moved by planes and ships. I cried when I saw Concord so it's not really military that gets me. Just something about big powerful machines and even if they are built for the military, that's not enough to put me off.

I totally get that. I have no idea why I get so moved by planes and ships. I cried when I saw Concord so it's not really military that gets me. Just something about big powerful machines and even if they are built for the military, that's not enough to put me off.

I'm exactly the same way, and like you struggle to articulate exactly "why?"

Learmount is a mixed bag; he's the regular go to guy for the media, I think because he's the editor of Flight mag, but if you look up opinion on PPRuNe and the like then he gets a lot of flack for his commentary. The trouble is you don't know what is his own doing and what is the result of manglement by poor journalism. From that alone you get a load of low grade shit about how trained pilots typically would have wanted to remain above the ground and not on fire.

The key part of that article was an apparently informed comment that the pilot began the loop too low.

The problem with being too low is the natural (only?) reaction is to pull back on the yoke to create lift. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite of what to do when a plane stalls. You really don't want to stall just above ground level. It's a foregone conclusion.

Edit: you can also try to increase air speed as well as decrease lift.

Last edited:
From that footage he finishes the loop way too close to the ground then the plane stalls with no room to corect it.

BBC South East have just shown another video clip, which clearly shows the plane dipping. It certainly looks like he'd have carried out the loop successfully if it hadn't be for this last minute dip. Another photo shows a vapour coming from the right engine, like a fuel leak.

As an inexpert viewer it seemed to me he began the loop too low and then on the downward section just ran out of sky, but for all we know it could have been within performance limits and perhaps there was some fault with the aircraft.

Anyhow, I expect the AAIB will have something to say and perhaps air-show practice will be re investigated to see if the flight complied, and if regulations need tightening up.

The problem with being too low is the natural (only?) reaction is to pull back on the yoke to create lift. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite of what to do when a plane stalls. You really don't want to stall just above ground level. It's a foregone conclusion.
I haven't seen any evidence that it was a stall, which has a specific definition. Lack of sufficient speed to generate sufficient lift for the circumstances isn't inherently a stall any more than a controlled descent and landing is.

Back
Top Bottom