Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Plane crashes onto A27 at Shoreham Air Show

It's possible, but it wouldn't really matter; the point I've been making for a while is that the impact was baked-in a long way back; as Falcon pointed out, with knowledge of the available envelope being wrong, it could be have been aborted at the top of the loop, but beyond that point, in the absence of more power becoming available, you're committed to where you're going.

FWIW there's a few videos of the Eurofighter experiencing a near miss (and not in the carefully planned sense) at Fairford in 2005:

I didn't want to use that as an example because the EF aerodynamics are deeply complex and it has manoeuvrability beyond traditional flight dynamics, often involving or very close to stall itself. Nonetheless it doesn't require detailed physics to tell you that if you haven't got the means to escape your trajectory in the space available then you're going to hit, just like if you can't brake hard and fast enough in a car.

Unfortunately I have to live under that plane doing it's stuff at Eastbourne every year. It's a truly terrifying killing machine capable of standing almost still vertically under full power scaring the hell out of small kids and pets. An evil piece of machinery if there ever was one, my hatred for all things military increases every time I see and hear it.

Why do we need such a terrible killing machine?

Unfortunately I have to live under that plane doing it's stuff at Eastbourne every year. It's a truly terrifying killing machine capable of standing almost still vertically under full power scaring the hell out of small kids and pets. An evil piece of machinery if there ever was one, my hatred for all things military increases every time I see and hear it.

Why do we need such a terrible killing machine?
How many people do you believe the terrifying killing machine has actually killed, out of interest? I can think of a few crew but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

At least eleven in the last two days?
He's on about the Eurofighter, which on the spectrum of practical application - that goes from rifles to the nuclear deterrent - is somewhere near the latter.

If you're forced to work in defence but don't want to have your efforts actually kill anyone (or you just really hate the taxpayer and treasury) then very expensive military aeroplanes are probably your best bet.

84 people died at Le Mans in 1955, maybe the whole of motor sport should be banned according to some people here.......

I don't mind people killing themselves when fully consenting to the risks.

Though I don't know what kind of signs they had up at the entrance to the A27 tbf.

How many people do you believe the terrifying killing machine has actually killed, out of interest? I can think of a few crew but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

91 strikes in Operation Elamy in Libya alone.

No one killed of course, just for the laughs...

How brainwashed can you be.

I don't mind people killing themselves when fully consenting to the risks.

Though I don't know what kind of signs they had up at the entrance to the A27 tbf.
57883_signs.jpg

91 strikes in Operation Elamy in Libya alone.

No one killed of course, just for the laughs...

How brainwashed can you be.

People compartmentalise things.

I'm having a v similar conversation with someone on Fb right now - I like planes but can't quite manage to forget that these machines are weapons first and foremost.

Mauvais may well have a point on the raw numbers of deaths created by a career in avionics vs. a career in, say, missile tech, mind.

As planes (specifically fighter planes - normally less attraction to watch a bunch of glorified logistics planes buzzing about) become increasingly militarily outdated and irrelevant, will the airshows reduce?

You obviously haven't seen the Chinook dancing around the sky. Yes, I know it's a helo.

You obviously haven't seen the Chinook dancing around the sky. Yes, I know it's a helo.
Apropos of very little, the main UK display pilot for the Chinook was the one that was piloting the police helicopter that crashed onto the Clutha bar in Glasgow. Sometimes it's an airshow, sometimes it ain't.

"Forced" as in "keep making the bombs or the kids go to a state school", maybe...
I'm from a town where the biggest employer by far is a defence aircraft manufacturer. If you want a job in the region then you may have limited choice. I know that many are at best ambivalent towards the aims of the place.

I also personally worked for an arm of what you would know as a large German civil engineering company, which was then bought out by a UK defence company. Not everyone there would have opted in to that given the original choice, but sometimes you're stuck with what you're served for a while.

It's easy to pontificate but when you're thrown into this yourself, it's not necessarily so simple. For instance you could eschew that job to go and work in automotive engineering only to find yourself producing something that overall quantifiably kills a lot more people.

Airshows are popular. Safer airshows, only over the oceans to minimise the risks to the public, wouldn't make them less popular.

Except for with all those people who live nowhere near the fucking sea. Should they drive there and increase the risk to themselves and others? I bet more people die driving to air shows than are killed by air shows.

People compartmentalise things.

I'm having a v similar conversation with someone on Fb right now - I like planes but can't quite manage to forget that these machines are weapons first and foremost.

Mauvais may well have a point on the raw numbers of deaths created by a career in avionics vs. a career in, say, missile tech, mind.

Or vs how many fatalities a ground invasion might produce.

Except for with all those people who live nowhere near the fucking sea. Should they drive there and increase the risk to themselves and others? I bet more people die driving to air shows than are killed by air shows.

Driving past one on this occasion.

I'm from a town where by the biggest employer by far is a defence aircraft manufacturer. If you want a job in the region then you may have limited choice. I know that many are at best ambivalent towards the aims of the place.

I also personally worked for an arm of what you would know as a large German civil engineering company, which was then bought out by a UK defence company. Not everyone there would have opted in to that given the original choice, but sometimes you're stuck with what you're served for a while.

It's easy to pontificate but when you're thrown into this yourself, it's not necessarily so simple. For instance you could eschew that job to go and work in automotive engineering only to find yourself producing something that overall quantifiably kills a lot more people.

Apparently, according to an aviation expert on BBC News this morning, ejector seats are not allowed on privately owned ex military aircraft due to the complex nature of maintaining them, they do after all contain explosives.

Which makes sense.

Rockets....they have actual rockets in the seats...apparently it compresses your spine if you have to eject.

Anyway.

Back
Top Bottom